Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

disapointed with Mojo demo ride

I'm a 185-190lbs rider from down under and was quite disappointed with my first demo of a Mojo last night. It is for sale and I was initially keen but now I'm not so sure. It is a 08 version with full XT build including XT wheels and tubeless tyres using a 100-140 Talas RLC and RP23 shock.

I don't know if I was overly sensitive to rear end flex after reading several posts about it here but the first small drop off I went down I felt the rear end steer the bike slightly. Certainly not as stiff in the rear as a alloy 2010 StumpJumper FSR Expert I demo'ed the night before. Maybe the wheels or tyres could be partially to blame too although I was riding single track with fairly mild descents. The bike just didn't have quite the point and shoot nature of the Stumpy. The mojo doesn't have Lopes links but I'm wary as how much difference it could make.

The mojo has been owned since new by the light weight female XC rider although she says she does ride descents aggressively. Do mojo frames fatigue?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I test rode a WTF build Mojo from Dirtworks a few weeks ago with Lopes link. After reading reports on here of rear end flex I was expecting a noodle like ride, after a few jumps and drops the bike felt solid with no detectable flex. The wheels on the bike were also stupidly light.

There is a great video posted here (I will try to find the link) of before/after Lopes link and it does make a difference.

I would try and see if you can try a Mojo w/ Lopes link and see what you think.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Was the suspension set up properly for your weight? I know my mojo feel less then spectacular when the suspension isn't set correctly.

Clem

Dropshot Champ!
    Granted your test bike didn't have the lopes link, these threads pop up from time to time. It seems a good third of the mojo riders think the rear is flexy, and the rest don't. I guess you really have to demo one first.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rip.
    Was the suspension set up properly for your weight? I know my mojo feel less then spectacular when the suspension isn't set correctly.

Clem
    I suspect it was a tad too firm in the suspension. After my ride in dusty conditions I saw that I'd only used 2/3's to 3/4's of travel however the terrain wasn't severe either.

On my quick set up the night before I guessed I had 25% rear shock sag and 15% in the front. I also used the Competitive Cycles web guide to set up the front compression and rebound.

Stucco Bucket
    Well, Mojo's arent for everyone. I actually didnt like the first few rides I had on a Mojo.
    My Coilair was the opposite, I test drove a deluxe a few times and just KNEW that the supreme would be a great bike, maybe it is, but I only enjoy it on urban stuff or fast steep downhills

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    In the dying days of last years riding I put a Lopes Link on my 07 and noticed right away that the bike was stiffer. Rear wheel seemed to track better, felt solid. I weight 160 with gear and like my rocks and roots with the occasional small drop. Now I'd like a 15 mil through axle fork to see how the ride would change.

Straw
    Ease & Flow Where Ever I Go

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks straw. This is what concerns me... We have several people stating that they feel the big difference and a similar amount saying there was minor or insignificant improvement in stiffness.

I'm starting to wonder (hoping) whether some people are incapable of feeling the flex whether it is there or not and they are the ones saying it doesn't make a difference. That's not a put down by the way, just an observation. I haven't ridden enough to tell a big difference from my old Marzocchi Bomber forks (without rebound) to current day forks but I could certainly feel the difference in flex between the 2 bikes I've demo'ed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Just a thought but there may be a possibility that the frame is cracked...

My '08 SL developed a crack in the BB area (hidden behind the link) within the first few rides. All I noticed was how sloppy the handling was and the crack was not diagnosed until the rear triangle was removed. My front frame was replaced under warranty and I later added the Lopez links and its now rock solid (for the last two years). I'm 200lbs plus loaded. It turns out my frame was one of a small batch with a manufacturing defect.

I really wonder about all these claims about flex... it seems strange to me how there can be so divergent opinions?

mtbr member
    I doubt the frame is cracked.

Need to run %30 sag rear and %25-30 sag front, then make sure the tires have correct air in them and get a Mojo with a lopes link. Bike should feel much bettter then.

mtbr member
    I'll have to agree with the OP about the flex. The first time I demo'ed a Mojo was with the two piece upper link. I had my brother ride along with my 04 FSR so I could swap bikes at any time. When going from the FSR to the Mojo for the first time, I had to stop to check to if something was loose. The rear felt pretty flexy to me.

I think that some riders don't notice the flex, or confuse it with pedaling efficiency. Of all three Mojo's that I've ridden, those with the two-piece upper link are flexy. Those with the one-piece upper link is less flexy, but not as stiff as the FSR.

Overall, I like the Mojo better than my FSR, but I do wish that the rear end was a little stiffer.

Dropshot Champ!
    it IS confusing how a bunch of people notice it and others swear it's not there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Well the girl who owns it can't feel it but I know why, she weighs 55kgs , I'm 85kgs. I returned the bike tonight and stood beside it leaning the bike away from me and pushed laterally down on the pedal and the BB moved at least an inch with a relatively gentle prod. She was stunned to say the least.

As I said earlier too, I just think some people are more dialed into what is happening to the bike below them than others are. To some the bike feels different to other bikes they have ridden but they can't put a finger on why, just that they like it or they don't. Obviously the heavier a rider the more they should notice it too.

I'm demoing a near new Pivot Mach 5 over the weekend so that should make for a good comparison taking the DW link on both into consideration. Also riding a Yeti 575 and trying to arrange an ASR-5 Alloy too.

Church of the Wheel
    So blybo, you're a brand new MTBR member, and your only posts so far are in this thread? Not saying you're a troll, but that is a typical indicator.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Oh come on, can't a person express his opinion without getting the troll bull **** thrown at him?

meh
    Quote Originally Posted by blybo
    I returned the bike tonight and stood beside it leaning the bike away from me and pushed laterally down on the pedal and the BB moved at least an inch with a relatively gentle prod.
    something sounds wrong there

Church of the Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossmaxx
    Oh come on, can't a person express his opinion without getting the troll bull **** thrown at him?
    Of course someone can express a dissenting or disparaging opinion without being suspected of trolling. That is a silly question.

It's not the disparaging opinion by itself that is a troll flag, but such an opinion combined with an extremely low post count by a new MTBR member. That is a classic indicator of trolling.

Such is obviously not conclusive by any means, and thus this is not an accusation, but it is understandably suspicious, that is all.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Blybo,
    I'd say that something is definitely wrong with that Mojo. Either a shot linkage bearing or a crack somewhere. I weigh similar to you and can't flex my frame like that. Try a new Mojo demo out if you can. Ultimately, you've got to find something that you like to ride. Keep demoing bikes until you find something that works for your riding style. Good luck in your bike search.

Clem

mtbr member

I agree...

You should try another one. I have one of the first mojo frames and haven't gotten around to ordering a lopes link yet. There is flex, but not that bad. I run Havoc wheels and a 20mm thru axle fox 36 with nevegal 2.35's and compared to my Transition Blindside DH bike it feels a little flexy but I can no way move it an inch. I would say there is around 1 cm of flex in each direction. This should get better with the link. I am about 180-185 with gear and would classify myself as sensitive to flex and a hard rider. If another mojo doesn't work for you, try a transition covert-my brother just bought one and loves it. It is better for all mountain than a mach 5 if youa re looking for a more aggressive bike. It's cheaper too....

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Let us know how you like the Pivot, I started running one(mach5) September of last year and love it. I did a fairly light build ~25.9lbs.
    '10 Pivot Cycles Mach 5! -- 07' C'dale Prophet 3 -- 08' C'dale Caffeine HT /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ Pivot FTW

Sponge Brain
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by blybo
    I'm demoing a near new Pivot Mach 5 over the weekend so that should make for a good comparison taking the DW link on both into consideration. Also riding a Yeti 575 and trying to arrange an ASR-5 Alloy too.
    You will definately think the Mach 5 is very stiff, though the DW feels quite a bit different as the bike is not nearly as plush. (The Mach 5 was in my final 2 before I bought my Mojo SL). I found the 575 to be noodle flexy is the rear end, but the geometry made downhills and drops more confident feeling than the Mojo. Oh, and the suspension is not nearly as efficient as DW link bikes.

FYI: I'm 6' and 190 w/gear

Dropshot Champ!
    please post your comparison of the pivot mach5 as soon as you ride it (in this thread if you can!)

screw the troll talk.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu
    something sounds wrong there
    I had a similar experience to the OP last year, including the flex when standing and pushing on the drive side pedal. The rear lower linkage bolt was loose.

Stucco Bucket
    kind of interesting. someone who is new to MTBR, but obviously not new to MTB'ing. first and only posts are here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb143
    So blybo, you're a brand new MTBR member, and your only posts so far are in this thread? Not saying you're a troll, but that is a typical indicator.
    Pull your head in dude. I have to start somewhere. I've done a fair bit of research in my local forum in Melbourne where I have about 5000 posts over the last couple of years but there aren't enough Mojo owners there to get a broad spectrum of feedback. My usual forum is also more frequented by roadies which I still consider to be my primary bike use. I will be asking the owner to check the lower link btw, I would still love to buy the bike as I could save AUS$3000 on one compared to the others I'm looking at new.

We get screwed on price btw compared to you guys. The Mojo XT costs around AUS$7000, similar for a Pivot or higher build spec Yeti. Thats a lot when you consider a AUS$ buys over 90 US cents

I have also posted on my local forum asking any Mojo owners with a Lopes link if I could try it. So far 0 posts

My usual forum is http://www.bv.com.au/forums/viewforum.php?f=27 and I have the same user name there too. Nothing to hide here...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast