Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Dang! Today I just bought a new derailleur because the B link twisted! My HD was assembled around mid Aug. I hope it had direct mount and see how it behave...

Still need to figure out how to remove the B link and put the screw if I get the new hanger.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Still need to figure out how to remove the B link and put the screw if I get the new hanger.
    I remember mine using a large Torx bolt so I had to go buy the appropriate bit.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Funny, I bugged the fine folks at Ibis over the phone. about the availability of the direct mount hangars just yesterday. I'm paraphrasing, but I was told "It could literally be tomorrow, any day now, but you can't tell down to the day with long lead-time items. It could even be in port right now, you never know."

So... Here we are, a day later.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    So, why is the direct mount any better than a traditional hanger + b2 link?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Will this work with a Sram Type2 derailleur?

mountain biker
    Quote Originally Posted by anomaly View Post
    So, why is the direct mount any better than a traditional hanger + b2 link?
    you eliminate a link, and therefore play and slop.
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by slyfink View Post
    you eliminate a link, and therefore play and slop.
    And what is now the weak link in the RD/hanger setup?

mountain biker
    Anomaly, have a look at the bikerumor article a few posts up. what this does is eliminate a link between the derailleur and the frame. it's not going to solve the problems with derailleurs, but it's an incremental gain that will make them slightly more durable, and slightly more precise. and what's great about it is that you're not forced to use it if you don't want to.
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The new hanger is in the Ibis store and available for purchase

http://store.ibiscycles.com/ibis-mou...anger-p28.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by mbtec1 View Post
    I just purchased an HD from The Bike Company in Irvine, CA & they had to directly order up the frame from Ibis. When the frame came it still had the traditional rear derailer mount. They said Ibis was still testing this possible feature.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shiny View Post
    From what I have read on bike rumor you will need to buy a new mech as the spacing and bolt are tweaked:

2013 Shimano Direct Mount Rear Derailleurs Coming Tech Breakdown - Bike Rumor
    Please do take note of this issue. I found out I had an older XTR Shadow Plus derailleur installed this summer (August) and it won't work with the DM hangers. I'll contemplate spending more money to get a new generation XTR Shadow Plus derailleur, but since the current one is working just fine with the old B-knuckle and standard hanger, I guess I'll probably just use it until, if and when, something happens to it. You can tell the generation difference by the bolt holding the B-knuckle onto the derailleur. If it's the same as the derailleur hanger bolt, the M10 with hex key head vs. the M7 with Torx head, you are ok with the new Ibis DM. Otherwise, nope.
    Last edited by DRSpalding; 12-07-2012 at 11:34 AM.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    Please do take note of this issue. I found out I had an older XTR Shadow Plus derailleur installed this summer (August) and it won't work with the DM hangers. I'll contemplate spending more money to get a new generation XTR Shadow Plus derailleur, but since the current one is working just fine with the old B-knuckle and standard hanger, I guess I'll probably just use it until, if and when, something happens to it. You can tell the generation difference by the bolt holding the B-knuckle onto the derailleur. If it's the same as the derailleur hanger bolt, the M10 with hex key head vs. the M7 with Torx head, you are ok with the new Ibis DM. Otherwise, nope.
    This is an important call-out that was not clear in some of the prior posts. If you don't care about being to utilize the newer hangers in that fashion, there are some great deals floating around on the derailleurs with the older style knuckle.

-D

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel~ View Post
    This is an important call-out that was not clear in some of the prior posts. If you don't care about being to utilize the newer hangers in that fashion, there are some great deals floating around on the derailleurs with the older style knuckle.

-D
    Good point, Diesel. If anyone wants a slightly used XTR Shadow Plus rear derailleur off of my SL-R and one standard derailleur hanger, shoot me a PM with an offer. The shop I bought the bike from will sell me an XTR or XT Shadow Plus derailleur at cost to get around the thought that we both had in the summer that I would be able to move to a DM system with the parts.

Mileage/hours on the derailleur are: 570 miles and 77 hours and it is an SGS model, i.e. the long cage suitable for 3x10.
    Last edited by DRSpalding; 12-07-2012 at 04:54 PM.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Pop off the C-clip on the back of the bolt and unscrew it with a 5mm hex.

I remember mine using a large Torx bolt so I had to go buy the appropriate bit.
    I'm pretty sure if your b-link has a Torx bolt, it's the older style and is incompatible. That's actually the easiest way to tell.

Will this work with a Sram Type2 derailleur?
    Not now, no. It's a Shimano thing. In the future, there's nothing really stopping Sram from making a design change and adopting the mounting system.

And what is now the weak link in the RD/hanger setup?
    Still not the frame. That was always the point of replaceable derailleur hangars. And as the article mentioned, this makes it less likely your derailleur will end up in your spokes. I'd rather save my wheel than save my derailleur.

Anyway, my package from Ibis came last week. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Here's mine with XTR RD-M986. It came with a b-link attached in case you want to use the conventional hanger. Simply remove said link. Result is very solid shifting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Direct Mount REAR Derailleur on Ibis-image.jpg  

Too Much Fun

Upset Bummed, I've got the older style XTR...

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus2405 View Post
    I'm pretty sure if your b-link has a Torx bolt, it's the older style and is incompatible. That's actually the easiest way to tell.
    ...Hmm, I bought a brand new XTR rear der from my LBS in October and it's the older torx style.

Kinda pissed. They announced this standard in April.
    - -benja- -

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    ...Hmm, I bought a brand new XTR rear der from my LBS in October and it's the older torx style.

Kinda pissed. They announced this standard in April.
    Not sure if it makes you feel any better, but from what I saw, the 986 RDs did not start trickling in until late fall, and when they did start showing up, it was with little fanfare, since most frame makers did not have a compatible hanger generally available at that point.

-D

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    im just wondering if new hd's ship with both hangers? i got my frame last week and despite asking my dealer specifically for a direct mount hanger, mine has only come with a standard one, i'm in the uk and had to wait 7 weeks for my frame to come from america so i know its the very latest revision, a bit disappointed because i bought a brand new m986 rear mech despite having a perfectly good m985 one sat in my spares box, and i don't see any new hangers for sale at any ibis stockists in the uk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    From the conversation I had with Ibis in late November, it seemed like they intended to ship all bikes with the standard derailleur hanger, since customers are just as likely to want to run a SRAM derailleur. I haven't heard anything about both, but it would be a nice touch (and maybe Hans can chime in).

Does the Ibis online store not ship to the UK? In the States you can order small parts directly from Ibis...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hi Lazarus,

The web store works for the UK.

We ship frames and bikes with the Shimano direct mount hanger on request.

All the hangers are in the web store as well.

http://store.ibiscycles.com/ibis-mou...anger-p28.aspx

Cheers!

Hans
    Last edited by hanssc; 03-07-2013 at 05:38 PM. Reason: accuracy!
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Will this direct mount hanger work with 40t or 42t rear cassette cog?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by juu-zo View Post
    Will this direct mount hanger work with 40t or 42t rear cassette cog?

Should be OK.
    H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

bike rider
    It puts the derailleur in the exact same spot a normal hanger and the derailleur's arm would.
    Keep the Country country.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2