mtbr member

dilemma.. first enduro race tomorrow which bike? HD 160 26r or my ripley 29er?

Don't know which one would be better to run. it's going to be a pretty gravity oriented race.. but nothing too crazy. I have my HD set up 160 with 26" wheels an my ripley with 140 x-fusion trace an .. can't decide which bike would be better.. there will also be bout 4000' of climbing involved between stages too... decisions..
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

aka dan51
    First race? Ride the bike you are more comfortable with.
    Or flip a coin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

Mtb Guide
    Yah agree with dbug!

First Enduro race, focus on fun, and getting to find your feet, don't focus on the climbing transitions, this is a race on stages thats what your strategy should focus on, you will have plenty in tank regardless of climbing on any bike, if it's been well thought out by race organisers.

You want to race your stages at 90% maximum not 100+ like DH.

Fun, find your Rythym, don't go too hard at the start of each stage build into your run and you will save allot of energy be smoother faster and in more control.

Cant say which bike really even from what you say, it comes down to terrain and what you want to achieve personally, but first time finishing with no crashes is a good goal, build upon that at each new race! This is not XC climbing stages shouldn't factor in thinking, it it does what ever you gain they're will hurt you on the race stages, if you're not fit its always a compromise! I don't know too many people who get hurt riding uphills for ex!

Freind recently didn't finish her first Enduro, she went too hard hit a tree and damaged her shoulder still off bike, with a brand new shiny HDR that arrived a week later.

Me personally if it is something that would lean to the Ripley for example, I would run faster rolling tires on the HD, rather than a heavier set on the Ripley.

Even our recent pretty low grade Enduro, the HD didn't hold me back, my build up my legs or lack of them whats ultimatlely let me down, bike was incredible.

Post some piccs when ya done give us a race report dude, enjoy it, regardless what the stages are like its a great formatt, meet people, be stoked, good hunting what ever bike you choose