mtbr member

Different carbon weave on Mojos?

I thought I read or heard something about Ibis experimenting with a different weave pattern for their top layer (cosmetic) of carbon weave on the Mojo? Am I imagining this or was I dreaming? I can't find any reference to this anywhere?

If it is indeed true, how 'bout some pics?

Mark

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ51
    I thought I read or heard something about Ibis experimenting with a different weave pattern for their top layer (cosmetic) of carbon weave on the Mojo? Am I imagining this or was I dreaming? I can't find any reference to this anywhere?

If it is indeed true, how 'bout some pics?

Mark
    In a not too recent Ibis forum post someone said Ibis should do a cosmetic weave like he/the poster does for handbuilt carbon fishing rods. Said he can lay out red and green, etc., and make it really good looking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by westin
    In a not too recent Ibis forum post someone said Ibis should do a cosmetic weave like he/the poster does for handbuilt carbon fishing rods. Said he can lay out red and green, etc., and make it really good looking.
    Actually, that was my post, I use coloured carbon weave on custom fishing rods. But my question above was referring to a decorative weave kinda like what Scott does on their Ransoms... was this ever discussed by the Ibis folks?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ51
    Actually, that was my post, I use coloured carbon weave on custom fishing rods. But my question above was referring to a decorative weave kinda like what Scott does on their Ransoms... was this ever discussed by the Ibis folks?
    Oh, haha. I do not believe the Ibis folks discussed it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Scot referenced the new weave on mtbr or chuckspew. The nude carbon mojo they had at interbike this year has the new weave and there are pics of it in the virtual booth. There's a studio shot of it in chuckspew as well. It looks to be a little more homogenous in terms of the weaves going in the same direction. The check pattern of the carbon looks to be consistently diagonal, giving it a cleaner appearance. It's such a complex shape: I can only imagine how difficult it must be to lay those outer layers so that they align, even somewhat. That's why these frames can only be done by hand, and just one of the many reasons they can't crank out 100 per day.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbexx
    Scot referenced the new weave on mtbr or chuckspew. The nude carbon mojo they had at interbike this year has the new weave and there are pics of it in the virtual booth. There's a studio shot of it in chuckspew as well. It looks to be a little more homogenous in terms of the weaves going in the same direction. The check pattern of the carbon looks to be consistently diagonal, giving it a cleaner appearance. It's such a complex shape: I can only imagine how difficult it must be to lay those outer layers so that they align, even somewhat. That's why these frames can only be done by hand, and just one of the many reasons they can't crank out 100 per day.....
    Thanks mbexx, good to know i'm not losing my mind. I'll check for those pics.