Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Die cut protective tape for a Mojo?

Howdy chaps,

Has anyone out there taken the time to draft up some templates to get protective tape custom die cut for the Mojo? Would be pretty cool if someone had

Or does everyone hand trim the pieces to fit on their bikes? What areas are you particularly careful of (downtube obviously, but anywhere else in particular?) Or have you just covered the entire bike (must be tempting )?

cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I hand cut each piece of protective tape when I first built mine up. It took a good 2 hours but it is definitely worth doing. Take the time to do it once nice and clean and it will last a long time. I am at almost a year and there is no perceptible damage to the tape.

holding back the darkness
    3m clearbra is good, easy to work with (you can re-position it before it sets) and bomber. Not the cheapest option out there, but $20 worth is enough for the down tube, stays, and little bits to prevent cable rub.... twice.
    **** censorship

flow where ever you go
    I found that 2" wide tape is nearly perfect to protect one or two sides of most areas of the bike and little cutting is needed except for length. For instance, you could cover two sides of the chainstay, or one side of the down tube or top tube. Using 8mil to cover two sides at once is no problem. I used ISC Helicopter-Outdoor Grade Surface Guard Tape from findtape.com. 30 feet is enough for several bikes and costs $30. It's going on two years and the tape looks mostly as good as when I put it on. As long as it goes on before anything else, it is a fairly quick job.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

Founder: Dirty3hirties

ISC Racer tape (surface guard tape)

I think that most Mojo owners use this stuff. It's simple, easy to use and better than other stuff (i.e. bonk, lizard skins) IMO because it's cheaper and you can use it wet or dry.

http://www.iscracerstape.com/

Amphibious Technologies
    Best tape available out there: ShieldZone

Their tape is used to protect the leading edge of helicopter rotors. Lifetime warranty on the film. Film is very difficult to scratch and is very hard to nick. They will cut it to your specs.

Note that the film is not cheap!!!
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Expensive

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    Best tape available out there: ShieldZone

Their tape is used to protect the leading edge of helicopter rotors. Lifetime warranty on the film. Film is very difficult to scratch and is very hard to nick. They will cut it to your specs.

Note that the film is not cheap!!!
    Sounds like this stuff is very expensive. It's just polyeurothane tape, same as Racer tape i think.

david

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB'n Louie
    Sounds like this stuff is very expensive. It's just polyeurothane tape, same as Racer tape i think.
    david
    Polyurethane tapes are not made equal just as carbon fiber is not. In most cases you get what you pay for but that's not to say the cheaper stuff won't work for your purposes.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Grams Light Bikes
    The Racers Edges tape http://www.iscracerstape.com/ is the same exact stuff that is sold by http://www.findtape.com/product173/I...ape.aspx?tid=7, it is ISC Helicopter-OG Outdoor Grade Surface Guard Tape.

That being said having a Die Cast Template just won't work as well it would for say covering a motorcycle gas tank. When the Mojo frames come out of mold they are not all exactly alike and each size for the front is different. I have worked on my Mojo several times with the tape and its not that much effort to cut out the tape. In fact its kind of an enjoyable thing to perform, sort of soothing...can I have a cup of chamomile tea
    I have also had a couple of different rear triangles for various reasons so I know how different each one can be.

I also have found that depending on how your cables and components are laid out you will place tape in different places. And depending on how I lay the tape down it can be cut is all sort of different patterns. Also after having the bike almost 2 years now I know where I have wear zones and they are not going to be the same for everyone. Where I ride has lots of sand and gravel so it really gets chewed up in front of the rear wheel by the chainstays. And everyone chews up the chainstays a bit different, watch your scratches and add tape as needed. Also be careful with the tape as it can also pull up the clearcoat after the tape has been on for awhile. Just a warning.

I will have a short review I will be posting on the Racers Edge tape in the MTBR.com Pro Review section shortly.

Peace.

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    I got my tape directly from Dan at ISC Racer tape. He's really interested in how the biking industry uses his tape. I hooked him up with Mtn Bike Action and they just took an ad out in the current issue. I think MTBaction is going to do a thrash test on it as well. Dan's a great guy to work with and hopefully, his tape will become more popular for the biking industry. It works great and there really isn't anything I would change to make the tape more user friendly or better suited to bike frames.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

custom cut?

Originally Posted by fishboy2807

I custom cut auto bodyguard film for all points of wear and so far, so good, it's all working well.

Rides a Bike

Mojo Die Cut protective film

Quote Originally Posted by tensim
    Howdy chaps,
    Has anyone out there taken the time to draft up some templates to get protective tape custom die cut for the Mojo? Would be pretty cool if someone had
    Yep, I've done that. It seems to be working pretty well. I found they are best applied when the weather is really warm, as the media softens to become more pliable/conformable and less prone to trapping air bubbles.

(I wondered whether I should run up a bunch of sets and sell them to other riders if they were interested. Let me know, and i'll pull my finger out and do something about it...)

I have a Medium frame, and have made the following shapes to cover my bike. As the rear triangle is common to all frames, the fit should be spot on.
    Main triangle
    - Between cable stops on the top tube
    - Underside of downtube (this is quite a long one, with cutouts for the bidon cage holes)
    Rear Triangle
    - outer face of seat stays (both sides)
    - between cable stops on top edge of both seat stays
    - outer face of chain stays (both sides, with the chain side linking up in line with the clear guard that came with the bike
    - between cable stops on top edge of both seat stays
    - the outer face of the bracing strut that spans the seat and chain stays on the non drive side.
    - inside the rear triangle near the dropouts on both sides, I have covered in there too to guard against accidental scrapes from the brake rotor touching the frame when you put the wheel in, and also a preventive measure should the chain drop off the cluster and rub the frame.
    - underside of rear triangle main body (under the cranks), this one cops a bit of crap.
    Because the body guard film is so thick, it is not conformable to all surfaces, so naturally, some areas that I would have liked to create shapes for, do not work well.
    Elsewhere
    I used any leftover spaces in the media for various size dots (20mm circles etc) for other rub spots as well as two big strips for the fork legs.
    I even have some shapes applied to the outer face of my xtr cranks (but hey, I'm getting really carried away now...)

Here's some pics... hopefully you can see the shapes.
    Cheers, Fishboy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trail Rider

Nice!

What are you using on the inside of the stays(black form fitting material)?
    I've got a couple of Lizard Skins on the chain stays(both sides of bike) in case I dump it in the rocks.
    [size=4]Don[/size]

Rides a Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Quattro
    What are you using on the inside of the stays(black form fitting material)?
    I've got a couple of Lizard Skins on the chain stays(both sides of bike) in case I dump it in the rocks.
    Oh that stuff is a high density foam rubber that I applied to the frame using a high bond double sided tape (called VHB). It cuts the chatter right down, and keeps the chain off the paint like a champion. I bought the rubber from a Clark Rubber chain store here in Australia, so I think it would be a pretty common most places.

Good idea on the chainstay protectors though. My last dump on the rocks saw me under the bike protecting like mad and that hurts a beyatch.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    There is a dedicated company in England that is making the tape..

www.biketape.co.uk

So a quick question, is the tape enough around the chain stays or should I put a Lizard Skin ( or something similar) on instead? Not sure if its entirely relevant but I will be running the 08 XT, I have heard the SRAM XO is better for stopping chain slap, but then you hear plenty of things!!
    Pinnarello Dogma FP2006

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm interested! I will buy a full set! I sent you a PM awile back. Let me know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    @fishboy. Looks pretty cool. Why don't you make an offer for a full set .

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Fishboy - That's exactly what I was thinking

I'd be keen on a die-cut set of protective strips (though I'll have an SL, I figure it'l lbe pretty much the same, right?)

Won't have my frame for a few months yet (probably April apparently ) but I'd definitely be interested!

let me know how you go with working out a price

awesome

Rides a Bike

Mojo Protective Decals.

Hi fellow Ibissians (or is that Mojovians?)

Sorry for being slow on the Mojo protective decal set, but it's ready to go. The only hold-up now is that I'm but a few days out from my NZ mtb odyssey (Rotorua 24hr race, Karapoti Classic Wellington and heaps of trails in between) so I won't have enough time to send anything out before I go.

I've worked out pricing for a basic set (and some options like rubber protectors for the rear triangle chainline and xtr crank guards) but need to check with Australia post for what an Express bag will cost to the US. If you are interested in a set, send me a PM and i'll be in touch when I get back.

NZ here I come

Fish
    May all your lines be the right ones...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tensim
    I'd be keen on a die-cut set of protective strips (though I'll have an SL, I figure it'l lbe pretty much the same, right?)
    Do you think this is needed for the SL, rubber paint and all?
    How would the clear tape look on the matt SL? I would have thought it would be a lot more visible? Would it still adhere just as well?

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    I have seen a couple pictures of SL's with some protective tape. I think it is very noticeable and does not really look very good. Even so, I plan to use some tape too when I get my SL. I'm working to get my hands on some matte clear tape tape to see how it looks. I will certainly post pictures of the results. My SL is due in a couple weeks.

Rides a Bike

Protective decal kits - detail images

Hi fellow Mojo riders
    I attach some detailed pics of the protective decals and protective rubber strips I created for my bike, that can be now found in a kit form. It's pretty comprehensive, and is outlined in a previous post. The rubber strips adhere to the frame, and are used to reduce chain slap damage to paintwork as well as reduce chain slap noise.
    Last edited by fishboy2807; 03-17-2008 at 01:30 AM.
    Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    Protect your plaything!
    www.frameskin.com
    Supporting Kowalski Brothers Trailworks

Rides a Bike
    But wait there's more...
    Last edited by fishboy2807; 03-17-2008 at 01:33 AM.
    Protect your plaything!
    www.frameskin.com

Rides a Bike

Protective rubber strips detail

A length of high density rubber foam with adhesive backing to reduce chain slap paint damage and noise.
    Protect your plaything!
    www.frameskin.com

mtbr member
    Wow.....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast