Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    590

    Did I get a lemmon

    My Mojo SL is cursed with some seriously bad mojo . I have had to abort about a dozen rides on this bike. I don't think I've aborted a dozen rides in the previous 25 years of riding. Even if the ride is not aborted I'm fixing flats, broken chains etc. I've literally only completed six rides all year on this bike --I've got a stable of other bikes that have not required any repairs at all this year. You name it and it's broken on this bike. EVERYTHING ...It's maddening. I love the way the bike rides, but I feel like I just got a lemon or something.

    I blame myself. I sold a Moots and my vintage Yo Eddie Team Fat Chance to buy this piece of plastic. I feel like I have two options: A) sell the freakin thing as fast as I can before it infects my other bikes B) get some kind of Voodoo priestess to reverse the Mojo.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    277
    Has the frame broken??

  3. #3
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,476
    you should sell it. i'll give you a six pack of coors light

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    590
    Quote Originally Posted by meph
    Has the frame broken??

    The frame has not broken ...wait ...I heard a crack coming from the bike shed ...oh nooooo! The pivots did and it took 4 weeks to get the new ones. It was one of those "I thought you order them?" deals. I had them sent 2 day air for my epic ride this weekend. The ride ended in 10 minutes when the Minute MRD completely blew apart.

    BTW ...its the WTF build and lite does brake, but I'm a 160lbs finesse rider with 25 years of MTB experience. Yes, I get air and do some minor drops, but nothing to cry about.

  5. #5
    POG
    POG is offline
    Pudgy Old Guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    534
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam
    The frame has not broken ...wait ...I heard a crack coming from the bike shed ...oh nooooo! The pivots did and it took 4 weeks to get the new ones. It was one of those "I thought you order them?" deals. I had them sent 2 day air for my epic ride this weekend. The ride ended in 10 minutes when the Minute MRD completely blew apart.

    BTW ...its the WTF build and lite does brake, but I'm a 160lbs finesse rider with 25 years of MTB experience. Yes, I get air and do some minor drops, but nothing to cry about.
    If the frame caused your fork to blow up, you are definitely cursed. I will pay shipping plus 50 bucks to take it off your hands.

  6. #6
    aka dan51
    Reputation: d-bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,536
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam
    My Mojo SL is cursed with some seriously bad mojo . I have had to abort about a dozen rides on this bike. I don't think I've aborted a dozen rides in the previous 25 years of riding. Even if the ride is not aborted I'm fixing flats, broken chains etc. I've literally only completed six rides all year on this bike --I've got a stable of other bikes that have not required any repairs at all this year. You name it and it's broken on this bike. EVERYTHING ...It's maddening. I love the way the bike rides, but I feel like I just got a lemon or something.

    I blame myself. I sold a Moots and my vintage Yo Eddie Team Fat Chance to buy this piece of plastic. I feel like I have two options: A) sell the freakin thing as fast as I can before it infects my other bikes B) get some kind of Voodoo priestess to reverse the Mojo.

    Thoughts?
    You sound like a friend of mine with this Mojo.
    Almost every single ride we go on, he breaks something. But for him it happens on every bike he's ever owned.

    You should start with the voodoo priestess, preferably a virgin.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

  7. #7
    KevinK
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    531
    Sounds like everything is breaking except the Frame. Find a competent Mechanic, get a new chain, new fork, and anything else that's broken. Make sure everything is within specs, and give it another try. Could have just been a Faulty groupo! Are the XTR components working o.k.? Sram? I've taken my bike back to my LBS, not where I purchased the bike, to fix allot of problems....Chain to long, and Cables routed incorrectly. With the exception of a large tear on the sidewall of my tire today, the bike has performed flawlessly. I'm on a Custom build SL, weigh 165lbs fully geared, and have ridden Mt bikes for over twenty years. It's to nice of a bike, to just give up. JMO!!!

    Good luck,

    Kevin

  8. #8
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    759
    Get equipment that matches your terrain, not your weight weenie image of yourself.

  9. #9
    gnuH
    Reputation: kiwirider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,162
    Do you do your own wrenching?
    A green bird with a red body. We could look it up in a book. Or we could look up

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,066
    sound like you've built it too light.
    my suggestions.
    Nothing with Manitou stickers on it (RS forks can be easily self serviced so they are my suggestion)
    Proper rubber, tubeless with sealant. If in doubt, High Rollers.
    sram or kcnc chains with the easy swap links ( take spares)
    remove and replace anything too light, too narrow too long (stems,bars, wheels)

    and a good mechanic to put it all together

    I ride my bike really hard, twop years now and it seldom does anything other the occaisonal chain drop. My is 27lb or 29.5 depending on tyres and adjustable seatpost

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    590
    Quote Originally Posted by glitz
    Get equipment that matches your terrain, not your weight weenie image of yourself.

    Fail!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    590
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwirider
    Do you do your own wrenching?
    I maintain a fleet of antique bikes myself, but on the high end stuff I enlist the best mechanic in town.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kiwisimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    233
    It's cursed, piss on the frame and components on a moonless night after drinking a six pack of red stripe. Might not work but it can't do any harm.

  14. #14
    Let the good times roll.
    Reputation: miniwisejosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,156
    Quote Originally Posted by nzl62
    Nothing with Manitou stickers on it (RS forks can be easily self serviced so they are my suggestion)
    Manitou makes some good products. Better than Fox (except the Van 36) in my opinion. The Nixon Elite is the nicest 160mm air fork I've ever ridden. I swapped mine for a Lyrik U-Turn recently and like the reduced stiction from the coil spring. I still think my Manitou had a better damper though. If I wanted a light duty AM fork, I would not hesitate to get a Manitou Minute with TPC+ damping over any air-sprung competitors. Manitous are also very easy to work on, and the tech support folks are a great resource.

  15. #15
    Lurker
    Reputation: andlp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    38
    I really don't think the WTF build was intended for any air or drops at all, no matter how small those drops are and how well you finesse the landing. It's almost like hucking a roadie. Should've gone for a more solid XT build, or better yet, for the $$ you dropped on a WTF, you could've had a really wicked custom build that doesn't compromise on strength.

  16. #16
    Happy when not-last.
    Reputation: MinskyBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    221
    I know you don't want to hear it, but it sounds like you're pushing your parts past their limits. Forget what everything weighs and go for bits with higher-durability.
    glitz may not have the bedside manner, but he does have a point.

    "...to buy this piece of plastic." If that's really how you feel maybe you should just cut your losses and give up. There are plenty of people that'd love to buy your ride.
    All your base are belong to ME.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    169
    GlazedHam states that he doesn't put the bike through any big drops or such, so I don't know if I would say that the WTF is too weak for his riding. The parts included in the WTF group should be able to handle small to medium sized drops in my opinion. To me, it sounds like pure bad luck, perhaps boosted by some manufacturing flaws on the failed components, but without knowing what has failed and how it failed, it's difficult to say.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2clue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,226
    Sabotage? Maybe someone has been envious of your beautiful bike cause you haven't been giving them enough attention.. just a possibility, not pointing fingers or anything.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,066
    In the uk they require extreme amount of attention to get them going. When they work they are awesome, I agree and I did like the Nixons but the reliability of them was just taking the piss. There shocks work very well too (if you know someone to take the platform out).
    The other issue is to do with spares according to TFtuned they only actively keep spares for three years after that its down to what stocks remain.
    And they are certainly light. I'd love them to bring out a reliable Nixon Mk2 with the IT remote but the Nixon platinums I had sucked and the two tuning companies I use urged me not to replace them with the same


    Quote Originally Posted by miniwisejosh
    Manitou makes some good products. Better than Fox (except the Van 36) in my opinion. The Nixon Elite is the nicest 160mm air fork I've ever ridden. I swapped mine for a Lyrik U-Turn recently and like the reduced stiction from the coil spring. I still think my Manitou had a better damper though. If I wanted a light duty AM fork, I would not hesitate to get a Manitou Minute with TPC+ damping over any air-sprung competitors. Manitous are also very easy to work on, and the tech support folks are a great resource.

  20. #20
    Let the good times roll.
    Reputation: miniwisejosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,156
    I see. My Nixon wasn't exposed to harsh environmental conditions. I only took it out in the wet a handlful of times, and never in real mud. The fork I had held up great to about a year of all kinds of abusive riding with no issue other than a spring malfunction. My Nixon had the Mars Air system which combines an air sping and coil spring to get the best of both worlds. I somehow managed to shear the coil in two. Surprisingly, nothing else got damaged. I pulled the lowers every 1500 miles or so, and that was enough to keep things nice and smooth.

    My experience with Manitou is that they make a few real gems, and the rest of their suspension has average-to-poor quality/performance. TPC+ and the newer Absolute dampers are among the best out there for forks. The Mars air and full coil setups work great. All the forks that don't use those parts don't work well IMO. Same for shocks. The Intrinsic shim-based shocks rock. As you said, the platform shocks aren't so great unless modded.

    I didn't realize the issue with spares. I wonder if its the same in the US. I don't usually keep parts for more than a couple years though, so I'll probably never find out (not to mention I don't have that fork anymore...). I will keep that tidbit in mind if I ever find an older model used Manitou to buy. Replacement parts are a must for how I go through stuff .

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    590
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon
    It's cursed, piss on the frame and components on a moonless night after drinking a six pack of red stripe. Might not work but it can't do any harm.

    Now that's the kind of advice I'm looking for. I'd rather have something that worked before ...eye of knute, stump water, something?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    590
    Quote Originally Posted by 2clueless
    Sabotage? Maybe someone has been envious of your beautiful bike cause you haven't been giving them enough attention.. just a possibility, not pointing fingers or anything.
    I'll be keeping an eye on my wife then. Although she refuses to stop riding a Bridgestone so I'm not sure it would be jealousy. It could be the whole "steel is real" thing.

  23. #23
    Hello
    Reputation: charlesinoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    304
    Sounds like your a candidate for a Heavy Duty Ibis Mojo SL. I'm just curious are you riding on tubeless setup with sealant? I've had chain breaks too, but it shouldn't really stop your from completing your ride. Can you be a little more specific with what you've broken? Can you post pictures?

    sent from my rotary phone

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vespasianus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,094
    Quote Originally Posted by nzl62
    In the uk they require extreme amount of attention to get them going. When they work they are awesome, I agree and I did like the Nixons but the reliability of them was just taking the piss. There shocks work very well too (if you know someone to take the platform out).
    The other issue is to do with spares according to TFtuned they only actively keep spares for three years after that its down to what stocks remain.
    And they are certainly light. I'd love them to bring out a reliable Nixon Mk2 with the IT remote but the Nixon platinums I had sucked and the two tuning companies I use urged me not to replace them with the same

    I have heard this and still can't believe people have trouble with the IT system. The IT system is dependent upon three major O-rings. The first two are stated by Manitou and many people know these. They are the two O-rings that separate the negative and positive air chambers. However, the thing that fails as well is the O-ring on the IT end cap. This seals the air in the chamber and when this leaks, it causes all sorts of problems, most of which are not obvious. The problem is that this O-ring is really hard to change. To keep a Manitou IT fork running smoothly these three O-rings should be changed every year and that is about it!

  25. #25
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,766

    Do you mean Mojo HD

    Quote Originally Posted by charlesinoc
    Sounds like your a candidate for a Heavy Duty Ibis Mojo SL. I'm just curious are you riding on tubeless setup with sealant? I've had chain breaks too, but it shouldn't really stop your from completing your ride. Can you be a little more specific with what you've broken? Can you post pictures?
    Well, sorry to hear about things that kept breaking on the ride. So far the frame has not brake yet, I doubt it will, got pic of the set up?

    IMO, if you'd ride your SL like you ride your Yo Eddy. You probably won't brake anything. A friend of mine rode HT for the longest time and it's all good until he got a FS, then things start breaking similar to the way you describe. I went on a ride with him and removed all doubt. He rides his FS like it's a motocross. Plow into everything, and just bang the crap on the bike, I asked why he ride like that, he said It's a FS, it can take more abused than my HT

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •