mtbr member

Demoed a Ripley today

smitten, that is all.

Mgs

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    First ride tonight on mine.... it's just so much fun, easy to throw around and it just works so well. Coming from an sb95 I was a bit nervous abut how it would cope downhill, it's just as quick but more fun. You can pump and it responds like a smaller wheeled bike. Can't wait to hop back on in the morning.
    I was thinking of an angleset headset but I don't think it's needed will go for a minion on the front though.
    Last edited by m_t_b; 05-26-2013 at 01:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Trying to decide if the Ripley is worth giving up the HD for. I have two DH bikes (2013 Scott Gambler 10 & 2012 Marin Team DH), a dirt jump bike (Scott Voltage TMO), the Mojo HD, and a road bike. One can only have so many bikes.
    The Ripley was a game changer, I cleared climbs the HD simply can't and it was raining all day, so the trails were muddy. I think the Ripley would be much faster in the dry. Decending on the other hand was weak compared to the HD. But the HD is weak compared to the DH bikes.
    The HD is a badass bike but the Ripley had it covered in more places than I would have thought.
    What to do?
    MGS

mtbr member
    Sell one of the DH bikes, not the HD. It will increase your spread much better. DH, AM, Trail, DJ, and Road vs. DH, DH, Trail, DJ and Road. There are sections of trail that I ride where a Ripley would be overwhelmed. Is your HD overkill all the time or just part of the time? If just part of the time you will probably be bummed when it is gone.

Too Much Fun

Demoed a Ripley today

Listen to salespunk.

Lose a DH bike, keep the HD & get a Ripley!
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    Listen to salespunk.

Lose a DH bike, keep the HD & get a Ripley!
    Can't see selling a DH bike. DH is a hardcore sport (I broke a frame last year) and I need a backup bike, at least this is what I tell myself. DH is like crack to me, can't get enough and spend all my money on it.

Because of the DH background, I tend to hit whatever the trail has to offer; drops, jumps, skinnys.... The HD is perfect for this. Only issue is climbing. The Ripley was that much better. It might have been the weight but I think the 29 inch tires was a big part of it. I bottomed out the suspension a couple of times but that is probably down to compression dampening. The handling was good on the ground, felt a little funny in the air (nose heavy?)

I will say I am disappointed in the shock size on the Ripley. 7.25 is an oddball and will make getting more AM shocks difficult, unless mfg's decide to play.

MGS

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    When you put it that way, it still sounds like you should really keep the HD.

Out of curiosity, what tires do you run on the HD, and what did the Ripley have? That's going to have a much bigger impact on the perceived effort while climbing than a 5lb weight difference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus2405 View Post
    When you put it that way, it still sounds like you should really keep the HD.

Out of curiosity, what tires do you run on the HD, and what did the Ripley have? That's going to have a much bigger impact on the perceived effort while climbing than a 5lb weight difference.
    Tires are Schwable, HD front and Rocket Ron back. And yes tires do play a big part of how a bike climbs but I think it is down to the diameter of the tire. The Ripley had the stock tires, which were not too aggressive yet the thing motored over everything. Where I road the bike has a lot of places to loose momentum and catch the front, this simply wasn't happening on the Ripley. Made for a very enjoyable day, in a cold and wet way. I need the Mojo HD 29er......

Highland run from yesterday: Highland's Race Course to Maiden Voyage - YouTube

MGS

Unpredictable
    Quote Originally Posted by mgs781 View Post
    Trying to decide if the Ripley is worth giving up the HD for. I have two DH bikes (2013 Scott Gambler 10 & 2012 Marin Team DH), a dirt jump bike (Scott Voltage TMO), the Mojo HD, and a road bike. One can only have so many bikes.
    The Ripley was a game changer, I cleared climbs the HD simply can't and it was raining all day, so the trails were muddy. I think the Ripley would be much faster in the dry. Decending on the other hand was weak compared to the HD. But the HD is weak compared to the DH bikes.
    The HD is a badass bike but the Ripley had it covered in more places than I would have thought.
    What to do?
    MGS
    Get and SL-R and dump the HD mebee

mtbr member
    Vital did this review and broke their SL-R: http://www.vitalmtb.com/community/bt...109/all?page=6

Probably not a good choice for me.

MGS

Unpredictable
    Deleted -

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Vital did this review and broke their SL-R: http://www.vitalmtb.com/community/bt...109/all?page=6

Probably not a good choice for me.

MGS
    There's a big thread here in the Ibis forums on that article. The SLR ships with an aluminum shock bolt. This bolt could end up failing, causing excess play and (in the end) a damaged frame. Ibis realized that folks wanting to beat the hell out of the bike should really be using a steel bolt.

Ibis will provide a steel replacement bolt for anyone that wants one. Problem solved.

mtbr member
    What to do?
    MGS
    were you at the demo at fort rock on saturday? I was there in the afternoon, I have an HD as well. If you are in the same area as me (NH) and ride the same areas here was my take. I have an HD, I love it, it descends like a champ and does everything pretty darn good. I wanted to climb better too, so I built up a lightweight carbon hardtail 29er an can't get over how fast I can climb with it. As in, getting top 5 on every climb if I push myself.

I demoed the ripley saturday at fort rock in the pouring rain and was able to clear sections without dabbing that I've never been able to clear (climb) on my HD. I also hit the ledge drops by the camel humps and while bottoming out the suspension.. didn't find it bad. I think with maybe a better spec'd fork, or a custom tune by bikeco on the fox 34, it would handle that kinda stuff alot better. So, I basically fell in love with the ripley and will be getting one.... eventually. BUT, I don't think it replaces my HD completely if I still want to ride places where all I will be doing is drops and jumps etc.. so I will sell the hardtail, an keep my HD, my DH rig, and my road bike... so I will have a road bike, an Mostly XC/ some AM ripper (ripley), the HD for AM and jumps and drops where some rides, we just session, an then finally the DH for highland etc...
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp