Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 48
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    48

    Demoed an HD140 with 650 wheels this weekend

    So I've been interested in 650s for a while. I own a mojo SL with a 150 talas. My LBS built up an HD 140 with 650 wheels and a 34 160 float fork. I rode it yesterday in CO. Hall, picture rock and Heil. This is the most amazing bike I've ever ridden. I went up things I would never have made on my SL and went down things I'd never go down on it either. I was blown away. It was like the bike turned into the greatest climbing bike when I climbed and then magically turned into the greatest downhill bike on the way down. I couldn't believe it.

    But I do realize there are many variables. I've never ridden an HD. I've never had a 160 fork. I've never ridden 650 wheels. I've never ridden a 2 X 10(which I'm not sure I cared for. Missing that one easier gear). The bike weighed just over 29 lbs with the dropper seat. So a little heavy. I could feel it. But not too bad. Just heavier than my SL.

    So, I'm psyched to demo new bikes for next year. I'm really excited for the rocky mt altitude 650b 150mm which my bike shop also carries. With all the new 650's coming out, I'd like to buy a 650 designed bike not really a modified one if I could. I'll check out 29ers too. So, I'll definitely demo a ripley and I really hope they come out with a 650 bike preferably around 150ish. If they come out with a 650 HD, I'm in. But if you've ever wondered, as I have, the HD vs the SL. The HD is unbelievable. And with the 160 float 34mm and the 650s. Holy sh*t. What a bike! Please Ibis. A new HD 650b? I'll take one.

  2. #2
    www.derbyrims.com
    Reputation: derby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,788
    The HD140 with 650b/27.5 wheels has ideal rock climbing pedaling clearance and geometry, BB height, etc to optimize this 27.5 inch wheel size and travel on the rocky trails that 650b wheels excel compared to 26 inch. Some want slacker head angle than 68 degrees for drops and high speed descents, and an angled head-set can do this.

    Except for having a little less suspension bottom travel landing jumps, IMO the HD140 650b rides better overall that the HD160 with 26 inch wheels.

    It's as if the HD140 was originally designed for 650b wheels.... Ibis did know that the 650b trend was coming when it was designed.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    571
    But can you do 650 on the original HD (pre summer 11) as they didn't have as much rear tire clearance first... that's what I've got and there doesn't seem to be much room left with say a 2.3 Ground control rear I have. Not .75" for sure...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    539
    Subscribed ... I'm in the same boat. Curious who's done it and what rear tire you ran.

    -Shane

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    48
    It was a brand new HD with tubeless Nevegals 2.1. They were awesome. I think I only spun them once on some loose rock. Otherwise they were great.

  6. #6
    www.derbyrims.com
    Reputation: derby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,788
    Quote Originally Posted by adumesny View Post
    But can you do 650 on the original HD (pre summer 11) as they didn't have as much rear tire clearance first... that's what I've got and there doesn't seem to be much room left with say a 2.3 Ground control rear I have. Not .75" for sure...
    Yes, the HD140, any year, with 650bx2.3 or smaller.

    A 650bx2.3 wheel with Pacenti Neo-moto tire is no more than 1/2 inch greater radius than any 26x2.3 tire. A 650b rim is 1/2 in greater radius than a 26 inch rim.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    Yes, the HD140, any year, with 650bx2.3 or smaller.

    A 650bx2.3 wheel with Pacenti Neo-moto tire is no more than 1/2 inch greater radius than any 26x2.3 tire. A 650b rim is 1/2 in greater radius than a 26 inch rim.
    I meant HD 160 - reason I got an HD is for more travel, so I would hate to loose that.

    Wouldn't a 650b/27.5 be actually .75" larger R ?
    if only 1/2" it's hard to believe 1" large wheel would make such a difference... but then again I run a super tall TK 2.4 on front at the park and that is a huge tire... it feels like it rolls better...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    539
    Hackdan10 - Was the 34Float 160 at the full 160mm or was it lowered to 150mm and was it a 27.5 Float?

    [QUOTE=Hackdan10;9806336]So I've been interested in 650s for a while. I own a mojo SL with a 150 talas. My LBS built up an HD 140 with 650 wheels and a 34 160 float fork. I rode it yesterday in CO. Hall, picture rock and Heil. This is the most amazing bike I've ever ridden. I went up things I would never have made on my SL and went down things I'd never go down on it either. I was blown away. It was like the bike turned into the greatest climbing bike when I climbed and then magically turned into the greatest downhill bike on the way down. I couldn't believe it.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    48
    It's full 160mm 27.5 float. I wouldn't have changed anything. It felt like I was riding my SL. Didnt feel different as far as comfort/reach/geometry etc. Except that it went up and down everything. Amazing. Except now I want a new bike.

  10. #10
    Grams Light Bikes
    Reputation: pastajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,279
    Quote Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    Subscribed ... I'm in the same boat. Curious who's done it and what rear tire you ran.

    -Shane
    Nobby Nic 2.35 - great tire, too large, they barely fit, I run it up front
    Maxxis Ardent 2.25 - sweet tire, with good traction and floatation, this now my primary tire
    Pacenti Neo-Moto 2.3 - skinny not 2.3, lots of room to spare, but not my fave tire for traction

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mazspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    974
    Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    Except for having a little less suspension bottom travel landing jumps, IMO the HD140 650b rides better overall that the HD160 with 26 inch wheels.
    Does not handle nearly as good. At least in my experience. A 140 with 27.5 wheels doesn't make the bike handle as good on the fast downhill rails as my bike at 140 or 160 with 26's. It just feels off.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    539
    Thanks Gram.

    Ardent sounds like a winner then. Ran the 26x2.25 as my summer rear tire.

    Are you still running a 215/63 DB Air unshimmed as a rear shock w/o issue?

    Any concerns with the forthcoming Hans Dampf as a front tire / clearing the 36 Van's Arch?

    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    Nobby Nic 2.35 - great tire, too large, they barely fit, I run it up front
    Maxxis Ardent 2.25 - sweet tire, with good traction and floatation, this now my primary tire
    Pacenti Neo-Moto 2.3 - skinny not 2.3, lots of room to spare, but not my fave tire for traction
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

  13. #13
    Too Much Fun
    Reputation: benja55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,045

    Thanks Pasta/Gram

    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    Nobby Nic 2.35 - great tire, too large, they barely fit, I run it up front
    Maxxis Ardent 2.25 - sweet tire, with good traction and floatation, this now my primary tire
    Pacenti Neo-Moto 2.3 - skinny not 2.3, lots of room to spare, but not my fave tire for traction
    Good info. Any news on whether Schwalbe is going to offer a NN in a smaller 650b size? I love the NN's I'm running on my HD now. Possibly the best tires I've ever tried.

    Also, are you keeping your HD at 650? Sold on it?
    - -benja- -

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    539
    Benja - Schwalbe shows a NN 27.5x2.25 PSC EVO tire on their website. R2 in Germany shows it shipping in Jan

    Schwalbe Reifen Nobby Nic 27,5" | 650B x 2,25 PSC 575g 2013, 37,50 &


    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    Good info. Any news on whether Schwalbe is going to offer a NN in a smaller 650b size? I love the NN's I'm running on my HD now. Possibly the best tires I've ever tried.

    Also, are you keeping your HD at 650? Sold on it?

  15. #15
    Dissolved member
    Reputation: StiHacka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,600
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    Nobby Nic 2.35 - great tire, too large, they barely fit, I run it up front
    Maxxis Ardent 2.25 - sweet tire, with good traction and floatation, this now my primary tire
    Pacenti Neo-Moto 2.3 - skinny not 2.3, lots of room to spare, but not my fave tire for traction
    I was hoping to hear good things about the Ardents. Where can I mere mortal get a pair nowadays?

  16. #16
    Lightly salted
    Reputation: fuenstock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,227
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post
    Does not handle nearly as good. At least in my experience. A 140 with 27.5 wheels doesn't make the bike handle as good on the fast downhill rails as my bike at 140 or 160 with 26's. It just feels off.
    This was my experience also with 650b on my HD. I didn't like how it felt, tall off balance, awkward in high speed turns where you have to lean the bike over alot. Then again, I have always prefered low bottom bracket on my bikes.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mazspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    974
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    This was my experience also with 650b on my HD. I didn't like how it felt, tall off balance, awkward in high speed turns where you have to lean the bike over alot. Then again, I have always prefered low bottom bracket on my bikes.
    That's exactly what I was feeling as well. I don't get 27.5 on a HD. In high speed banked corners, it just doesn't handle as good. It's really noticeable. And yeah, you do have to lean, then it seems to want to fall off.
    People may not like this set up.
    Last edited by mazspeed; 10-28-2012 at 11:47 AM.

  18. #18
    Dissolved member
    Reputation: StiHacka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,600
    The entitlement runs strong within this group. Just because you like it on your trails low does not mean everyone else does, too.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mazspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    974
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    The entitlement runs strong within this group. Just because you like it on your trails low does not mean everyone else does, too.
    Maybe you should try it first. What does entitlement have to do with this thread?

  20. #20
    Dissolved member
    Reputation: StiHacka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,600
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post
    Maybe you should try it first. What does entitlement have to do with this thread?
    I have tried. Over 150 miles on my 650b HD so far and counting, 1300+ miles on 650b bikes this year total. I think I am entitled to my own opinion about the performance of the converted bike while your original post suggested otherwise. Thanks for tuning it down a notch, I am allergic to people telling me what works for me and what not.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mazspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    974
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    I have tried. Over 150 miles on my 650b HD so far and counting, 1300+ miles on 650b bikes this year total. I think I am entitled to my own opinion about the performance of the converted bike while your original post suggested otherwise. Thanks for tuning it down a notch, I am allergic to people telling me what works for me and what not.
    Hey, I am glad you like it. A few of us don't. And yes you are entitled to your own opinion, but I felt it was a poor enough ride to make my rides on it known.
    Last edited by mazspeed; 10-28-2012 at 12:26 PM.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mazspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    974
    That was a very nice note StiHacka. Thank you.

  23. #23
    Grams Light Bikes
    Reputation: pastajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,279
    Quote Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    Thanks Gram.

    Ardent sounds like a winner then. Ran the 26x2.25 as my summer rear tire.

    Are you still running a 215/63 DB Air unshimmed as a rear shock w/o issue?

    Any concerns with the forthcoming Hans Dampf as a front tire / clearing the 36 Van's Arch?
    No issues with the DB Air at all. Their bottom bumper is pretty hard, and the stroke measures almost 67mm. The VAN should fit pretty much any 650B tire, so the Hans Dampf should be fine. I can't wait to try out the Super Gravity Hans Dampf, in both 650B and 26.

  24. #24
    Grams Light Bikes
    Reputation: pastajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,279
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    Good info. Any news on whether Schwalbe is going to offer a NN in a smaller 650b size? I love the NN's I'm running on my HD now. Possibly the best tires I've ever tried.

    Also, are you keeping your HD at 650? Sold on it?
    The NN 650B will come in 2.25, but it won't have SnakeSkin. Tires should be available in November sometime, but release dates are always ambiguous.

  25. #25
    Grams Light Bikes
    Reputation: pastajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,279
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    I was hoping to hear good things about the Ardents. Where can I mere mortal get a pair nowadays?
    You should be able to get your LBS to order them, or order direct from Maxxis https://www.shopmaxxis.com/b2c/

    Make sure to get the EXO sidewall protection version.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •