Thread: Dating old Ibis

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004

Dating old Ibis

OK...so I finally got the Ibis Mountain Trials frame I've always covetted...albeit a little rusty and in need of some re-finish work (I'll update my blog with pics as soon as I can)... meanwhile, it appears as though the frame has a coupe of issues regarding seatpost size (I think it was heated to dislodge a jammed post) and was hoping someone knows the stock seatpost size...and the bottle braze-on bolts are rusted in place...sounds like a job for a dremel...

Also, it has front and rear u-brakes and horizontal Shimano SIS dropouts with threaded backs to adjust axle placement (a-la vintage road bike)...and I think the serial number is either 26 or 126...any idea of what year range I'e dealing with? It has to be at least 87 because it ahs u-brakes and has no brake boosters on the (or allowance for them) so I'm thinking it can't be any later than 89...

Either way, I'm stoked!

rb

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by richieb
    OK...so I finally got the Ibis Mountain Trials frame I've always covetted...albeit a little rusty and in need of some re-finish work (I'll update my blog with pics as soon as I can)... meanwhile, it appears as though the frame has a coupe of issues regarding seatpost size (I think it was heated to dislodge a jammed post) and was hoping someone knows the stock seatpost size...and the bottle braze-on bolts are rusted in place...sounds like a job for a dremel...

Also, it has front and rear u-brakes and horizontal Shimano SIS dropouts with threaded backs to adjust axle placement (a-la vintage road bike)...and I think the serial number is either 26 or 126...any idea of what year range I'e dealing with? It has to be at least 87 because it ahs u-brakes and has no brake boosters on the (or allowance for them) so I'm thinking it can't be any later than 89...

Either way, I'm stoked!

rb
    My Ibis is about a late 88/89 and has the serial number 704(?)...something close to that if it helps.
    FFB should have a pretty good Ibis timeline.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    It was introduced at the 87 Interbike show I think.- I owned one and that's the first year I remember seeing them. What a gem! But it always had some shifting issues, yours too?