mtbr member

Custom Protection?

I'd love to see pictures of what you all did to protect your carbon frames from chain slap and other common hazards. I've got the frameskin kit, but I'd like to see other solutions too.

Thanks!
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

aka übermensch
    Along with fishboys' frameskin kit, I used an old tube, wrapped in framewrap, (framewrap.com) and then put on the Ibis logo'd chainstay protector. I also use an old Lizard Skins chainstay protector for the seat stay to keep the chain from slapping against that.
    08 Ibis Mojo SL
    09 Ibis Tranny SingleSpeed

mtbr member
    I've done basically the same thing as TTT, but still get a lot of noise from the chain slapping the chainstay near the chainrings where the Ibis protector doesn't cover....I've seen pics in this forum of folks gluing on pieces of velcro or innertube cut to fit this spot...need to do the same myself. When that chain's slapping bare carbon, it's LOUD!

mtbr member
    Today I wrapped the chainstay in an old tube and put the lizard skin thing on top of it (the tube covers more of the chainstay). I put a few layers of electrical tape on the inside near the cassette. Maybe I'll try velcro or the framewrap thing.

It certainly would be nice if the bikes came with these things--or even as an extra option.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

mtbr member

Rides a Bike
    Pre frame-wrap I used to make a product out of closed cell foam and adhere it to the frame along the top and underside of the chainstay, and on the underside of the seat stay. Pretty dodgy looking but functional... some early pics here http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...38259#poststop
    Framewrap works great but if the noise is still not to your liking, add a layer of closed cell foam under the framewrap (topside and underside of chainstay) and it works a treat.
    Al
    Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    Protect your plaything!
    www.frameskin.com
    Supporting Kowalski Brothers Trailworks

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The down tube cover in the HD looks like a good idea someone should make and aftermarket one for the Mojo - such a simple idea, bolts on the water bottle boss - a use for them at last!

http://www.ibiscycles.com/mountain/mojohd/

aka dan51
    Here's what I have now.
    It's basically tennis racket tape. It eventually wore through, and in a rush I threw on some black duct tape over it, which has been rock solid for 4 months now. I have no plans on removing it until I need to.
    I had one of the cable guides get ripped off on the seat stay during a road trip to Whistler. I replaced the 2 back sections of housing with one long piece, and wrapped the tennis tape around it. Holds the cable in place, and protects the frame. I just need something at the junction between seat and chain stays. It's gotten pretty badly chipped from the chain. That's a hard area to protect IMO.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Custom Protection?-img_7745.jpg  

Custom Protection?-img_7744.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    What chain guide is that? You running a single now? Oh and clean that filthy beast lol

Proud bike-o-holic
    Crankskins.com sells a very good and cheap product. I bought a "frame kit" and I´m going to use it on my SL.

BTW I´ve used his products in other bike for more than a year and it is a very good product.

regards

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody
    What chain guide is that? You running a single now? Oh and clean that filthy beast lol
    It's an e13 DS. Still running a 2X9.
    That is clean! It looked like this after Boggs last weekend.
    When I got home I weighed it, and the mud added about 3lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

aka übermensch
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWookieUK
    The down tube cover in the HD looks like a good idea someone should make and aftermarket one for the Mojo - such a simple idea, bolts on the water bottle boss - a use for them at last!
    The polycarbonate down tube protector on the HD will fit on the Mojo. You just have to use something like double sided tape to secure the top portion of it, since the Mojo does not have the bolt at the top that the HD does.
    08 Ibis Mojo SL

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    is that Ibis dung?

mtbr member
    you guys need to go to pricepoint.com and buy Bonk! It's a clear film/tape that can be applied on all areas of your bike and does a great job of protecting the frame from cable rub and chain slaps. I've used it for a month and a half and nothing has been able to cut through it or mark it up.

http://bike-parts.pricepoint.com/sea...=custom&w=bonk

meh
    thats a waste of cash, bought 3M film for 5 bucks directly through the 3m website a while back (minus bonk spray, which isnt anything necessary)
    if your spending 30 bones, might as well buy the precut fishboy kit

bike rider

Keep the Country country.

Clyde
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    Very Nice. What glue do you use? Rubber cement?

Oh I get my copter tape cheap (free). Call a local auto bumper shield guy for some scraps. I picked up enough for 5 bikes.

bike rider
    Just SuperGlue
    Keep the Country country.

Clyde

Protect your upper tri

I seem to like to slide out on the left side and take it out on my rear tri. The "high mod composite" lettering is not looking so good. Rock vs carbon is not a fair fight. It will be getting some copter tape and some tire rubber glued to the tape. It seems to be a problem with the rider. I will hit the bike with some rubber to protect and dampen chain slap while i'm at it.
    Last edited by LuckySomer; 04-21-2010 at 04:20 PM.
    09 Ibis Mojo - All Mountain Moab Edition

mtbr member
    Frameskin, a cheap fat tube cut and wrapped and no front der for the chain to rattle in..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Custom Protection?-mrp.jpg  

mtbr member
    I cut a strip of neoprene from an old wading sock and taped it to the bottom of the frame using double-sided tape. After that I wrapped it with an old inner tube and zip tied the ends. This really cut down the chatter from chain slap and doesn't look too shabby either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Just bought my Ibis and noticed the same problems and had the exact same concerns as everyone else. This post has been great! It's answered all my questions. Love this forum.
    Thanks everyone. Happy riding

aka übermensch
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikegirl
    It's answered all my questions.
    Glad we could help.

This forum is a great resource.
    08 Ibis Mojo SL

mtbr member
    I'm using 3m Scotchguard film. Here's a pic of the entire downtube covered.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I may get a Frameskin kit but I have a friend in the car film trade how is sending me some Ventureshield to try myself first.