mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Current Ibis models (Tranny, Lugi) are old technology

Ibis Tranny 29er using 142mm instead of newer better 148 boost
    Ibis Hakkalugi using 135mm QR instead of 142 thru axle

Both are old technology, obsolete.

The Lugi disc is especially ancient with 135mm QR. Time to blow those frames out at 50% and release a current model.

mtbr member
    Are you saying my 142 Ripley LS is obsolete? Damn. I guess I need to throw it away. Thanks for letting me know.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Oh wow you're right. They should especially update their CX bike with a 20mm through axle with even better Super Boost. Super Boost would give them the space they need to design around all of the suspension pivots these bikes have.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    Are you saying my 142 Ripley LS is obsolete? Damn. I guess I need to throw it away. Thanks for letting me know.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    142 is now old, obsolete (according to Ibis). This is all that Ibis offers in hardtail - and it's a two piece hardtail at that.

135mm QR on current Ibis Hakkalugi model is even more ancient.

Seems that they're focusing most energy on full suspension, yet those bikes are creaky even when new.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by beammescotty View Post
    Oh wow you're right. They should especially update their CX bike with a 20mm through axle with even better Super Boost. Super Boost would give them the space they need to design around all of the suspension pivots these bikes have.
    I don't know about THAT....... but 135 QR on a disc frame is ancient technology.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by klasse View Post
    142 is now old, obsolete (according to Ibis). This is all that Ibis offers in hardtail - and it's a two piece hardtail at that.

135mm QR on current Ibis Hakkalugi model is even more ancient.

Seems that they're focusing most energy on full suspension, yet those bikes are creaky even when new.
    Please go troll somewhere else. We like our Ibis cycles. Goodbye now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhand80 View Post
    Please go troll somewhere else. We like our Ibis cycles. Goodbye now

Poor baby. I like mine too. I find it interesting nonetheless that Ibis has: (a) not moved beyond 135mm QR on its only cyclo model and (b) not made a one piece hardtail frame.

It would be cool to see a newer model with a slacker head tube, wider dropouts (to accommodate an even larger tire!), and higher bottom bracket.

meh
    Old, maybe. Obsolete, definitely not.
    Def want to see a revised Haka similar to the Open U.P.

Sponge Brain
    Mar 2009
    (b) not made a one piece hardtail frame.
    The two piece frame is what differentiates it from its competitors. Allows for belt drives and to tension single speed with standard dropouts. Makes traveling with bike cheaper/more compact.

Updates, sure. Single piece, please no.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnzj View Post
    The two piece frame is what differentiates it from its competitors. Allows for belt drives and to tension single speed with standard dropouts. Makes traveling with bike cheaper/more compact.

Updates, sure. Single piece, please no.

The Tranny 29er is in its own category as a two piece hardtail with 142. I'm sure that Pivot wouldn't consider the old school Tranny a competitor to its new for 2017 Pivot LES.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    Old, maybe. Obsolete, definitely not.
    Def want to see a revised Haka similar to the Open U.P.
    That OPEN U.P. bike looks sweet!!

Notice how Ibis borrowed Enve's updated thru axle fork and threw it on their dinosaur Hakkalugi frame with 135mm QR. Pretty lazy if you ask me. I can't imagine that anyone in their right mind is buying a new/old Hakkalugi frameset for $1700.

Dropshot Champ!
    I'd bet there's a new hakka in the works. Don't get why you're so mad.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Boost is the one thing keeping me from buying a 429 Trail.
    Got too many sweet 142TA wheelsets.

Armchair Product Manager
    Jul 2004
    I'm waiting for the 142 lugi, before I order. Hopefully soon.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

The Lugi disc is especially ancient with 135mm QR. Time to blow those frames out at 50% and release a current model.
    Good you're lame at Trolling.

They should skip the new crap and go right back to an old better standard- 157.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    OP is all klasse...

Man, needs to get out more

mtbr member

The industry propaganda can really work! Now increasing the length of an axle by 6 mm passes for new technology!!!!!

Check out Cannondale or Hope for recent alternative to wider hub or read around for the objections to the imaginary advantages of a slightly wider hub. Or consider how tiny frame changes can allow the use of wider tires without the need for yet another "standard" that has the only function of making your wheels and frame "obsolete" from a marketing point of view (they do still work perfectly fine on the trail).

New technology? There has been none for years, I'd argue nothing has changed significantly for about ten. Last real changes were DW and VVP suspension and tubeless tires. Everything else has been changes in size ... and that is not technological innovation!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    The industry propaganda can really work! Now increasing the length of an axle by 6 mm passes for new technology!!!!!

Check out Cannondale or Hope for recent alternative to wider hub or read around for the objections to the imaginary advantages of a slightly wider hub. Or consider how tiny frame changes can allow the use of wider tires without the need for yet another "standard" that has the only function of making your wheels and frame "obsolete" from a marketing point of view (they do still work perfectly fine on the trail).

New technology? There has been none for years, I'd argue nothing has changed significantly for about ten. Last real changes were DW and VVP suspension and tubeless tires. Everything else has been changes in size ... and that is not technological innovation!
    Agree in part, however I think 142 thru axle works way better than 135 QR, especially when using disc brakes. So it's my opinion that thru axle represents a technological advancement - and Hakkalugi with 135mm QR is old technology.

I doubt that I will buy another Ibis in the foreseeable future. (unless of course they came out with something newer with a slightly slacker HT, a fraction of a mm higher on the bottom bracket, that will accept even bigger tires!)

aka bOb
    This thread makes me want a Hakka.

mtbr member
    148 Boost is not better than 142, it's different. Unfortunately, consumers don't understand that, which is why everyone thinks that the "old" stuff is obsolete. I'm willing to bet 99.9% of riders can't tell the difference in performance between the two.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Boost I could see for an aggressively ridden 29'r but honestly is the performance worth the cost?

135mm is totally fine for a cross bike.

There are enough needless "updates" out there to keep us poor and wanting. No need for more. I mean seriously 15x110 the "new thing"? Yet you kill off 20x110? I"ll stick with my 20x110 for another 5 years while the silly masses or unlucky upgraders buy into deadend 1-2 year fads. I can't outride my current bike, I'll never be able to. Rarely does the bike hold the rider back... at least that's what I keep telling myself.

End rant, perhaps; Ibis is just waiting for the current tide of "new" and "must have" to pass for the next standard, perhaps better or longer lived.

The industry doesn't always have the best ideas in terms of whats best from a consumer standpoint. Might be cheaper for the mfg's but the consumers suffer. Press fit BB's were tried back in the 80's, sucked, tried again 20 years later...sucked. Yet the industry still brought it forward at the expense of consumers. U-brakes early 1990's crap idea, lasted a year or 2. Oval chain rings...80's. We're currently in the middle of the next push for new & better. Only some will last. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised to see ads for the "new" grip shift or bar ends.

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004
    Klasse, my HD3 doesn't creak anymore or any less than any other full suspension bike I've witnessed. When issues like this do crop up, they address them customer by customer. Good grief, what's not to like about that?

Let's face it, Ibis is a small company and many end-users, like me, like that about them. I can call the 1-800 number and Hans will pick up the phone and answer my question. What's not great about that? And being small company, of like 11 people or so, limits their development strategy. They can't afford to just willy-nilly adopt the latest and greatest "standards" nor can they afford to develop new ones. So, if you don't like what they have in their line up you're free to move on. No need to troll here. Like most small companies, they will change their designs in order to not lose market share. Standards being what they are, Ibis produces some of "the" best riding bikes in the industry and I don't expect anything less from them.

Twotone, I like the way you think. I think "boost" is just an interim step to getting to the ole' 157mm standard. Marry the 157mm rear to a 83mm BB and you can run any tire (rim) width / drivetrain combination you wish up to a 3.5 inch tire. Anyone who rides a fat-bike, knows that Q-factor is not nearly as important an issue as it might seem on a mountain bike. Anyway, I don't expect Ibis to lead the pack here, but I see a future where the 157mm standard makes a whole lot a sense.

Regards,

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EndUser View Post
    Klasse, my HD3 doesn't creak anymore or any less than any other full suspension bike I've witnessed. When issues like this do crop up, they address them customer by customer. Good grief, what's not to like about that?

Let's face it, Ibis is a small company and many end-users, like me, like that about them. I can call the 1-800 number and Hans will pick up the phone and answer my question. What's not great about that? And being small company, of like 11 people or so, limits their development strategy. They can't afford to just willy-nilly adopt the latest and greatest "standards" nor can they afford to develop new ones. So, if you don't like what they have in their line up you're free to move on. No need to troll here. Like most small companies, they will change their designs in order to not lose market share. Standards being what they are, Ibis produces some of "the" best riding bikes in the industry and I don't expect anything less from them.

Twotone, I like the way you think. I think "boost" is just an interim step to getting to the ole' 157mm standard. Marry the 157mm rear to a 83mm BB and you can run any tire (rim) width / drivetrain combination you wish up to a 3.5 inch tire. Anyone who rides a fat-bike, knows that Q-factor is not nearly as important an issue as it might seem on a mountain bike. Anyway, I don't expect Ibis to lead the pack here, but I see a future where the 157mm standard makes a whole lot a sense.

Regards,

EndUser

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    It would be cool to see a newer model with a slacker head tube, wider dropouts (to accommodate an even larger tire!), and higher bottom bracket.

Look who hit the nail on the head. This describes the V3.

Ibis listened to me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Ibis listened to me.
    Keep pumping up your tires if it makes you feel good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mcam View Post
    LOL. Kind of fun to note that I'm the only cat in this forum who predicted the V3. Ibis basically did exactly what I asked for....gonna sleep well tonight

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    LOL. Kind of fun to note that I'm the only cat in this forum who predicted the V3. Ibis basically did exactly what I asked for....gonna sleep well tonight
    Quote Originally Posted by mcam View Post
    Repeat and Rinse

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Ibis listened to me.
    Funny everything I've read is nothing has changed except tire clearance. Sad panda
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Klasse, please tell Ibis to give us a Tranny LS next. It is quite obvious you have their attention. 👍🏻

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Funny everything I've read is nothing has changed except tire clearance. Sad panda
    Slacker HT as well, exactly what I asked for. Keep trolling, youngster.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Slacker HT as well, exactly what I asked for. Keep trolling, youngster.
    Old troll's memory is fading. The HTA is exactly the same 67.5.

Maybe if you weren't so busy trying to be clever as a troll, you would have noticed the release of the Ripley LS a while ago.

That changed the HTA compared to the OG Ripley. The V3 LS has the same Geometry as the V2 LS except .1'' added to CS length.

Keep trying, one day you might succeed as a troll, but you have much to learn yet.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

Your bike sucks
    Old troll's memory is fading. The HTA is exactly the same 67.5.
    Exactly. Alternative facts. Press secretary Klasse.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Guys I was spot on with my predictions......don't hate.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Guys I was spot on with my predictions......don't hate.
    LOL maybe you can get the date on your prediction post changed so it's dated BEFORE the LS was released.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    LOL maybe you can get the date on your prediction post changed so it's dated BEFORE the LS was released.
    I requested the bigger tyres and Ibis gave them to me. You are right tho about my request for more HT slackness - which came before the release of the Rip LS.

have a great weekend guys, Ride More Work Less

mtbr member
    I requested the bigger tyres and Ibis gave them to me. You are right tho about my request for more HT slackness - which came before the release of the Rip LS.

have a great weekend guys, Ride More Work Less
    Ride more Troll less you mean.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I think klasse means troll in another language...