mtbr member
    May 2010

Curious about frequency of Cracks / Failures?

I've narrowed down the choices for my next bike to either a Mojo or a Turner 5 Spot. I've read "reviews" comparing the two and have demoed the Mojo (loved it). I'm planning to demo the 5-Spot in a few weeks out in California as there aren't any dealers in my area. Here is my question: How how many Ibis owners have found cracks and needed to replace frame components? As an engineer, I'm familiar with all of the wonderful benefits of carbon and believe it's an excellent material. I'm just curious about the failure rate? I'm imagining is very low as the design/manufacturing process has been tweaked over the years and I've been reading all of these wonderful product reviews. I guess I'm just looking for some data.... My conclusion so far is not to worry about it. If there is a failure, I can probably replace part of the frame for less money than the price differance between a 5 Spot and Mojo....

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Go Ibis Carbon. I have been riding a Mojo since 2006 and can say that the frames are bomber, as is the Ibis Customer service! As a testament to the frame strength, I had an unfortunate incident with my frame where a loose inner chainring bold sliced through the lower BB area (as though someone had used a router bit)! The gash was a half an inch wide and 2" in length measured radially along the bb shell. The frame rode fine and never developeed any craks or failures.I elected to tape it up with duct tape (to keep the water out) and rode the frame for the rest of the season without any sort of incident. Upon admitting my lame story to Ibis, they offered and ultimately replaced the front triangle at cost!

So there you go, the frames are virtually indistructable in my experience. On the other hand, if you are a conservative Engineer, you probably do not wish to fly on the new 777 Dreamliner either, as the jury is out on the fatigue life of plastic airplanes.

Live large, take risks ride the best and dye trying, I say!

gnuH
    Both are great bikes (I own a DW Spot FYI). Demo the Spot and then make your decision. The carbon 'issue' shouldn't enter into the equation, and as mentioned above Ibis CS is great, as is Turner's.

The Spot is 1lb + heavier, but stiffer in the rear. The Mojo has bearings, the Spot has bushes. The Mojo is a work of art, the Spot has straight tubes.... and so on. You can't loose either way.

Note that the Spot sizing is a little on the small side.
    A green bird with a red body. We could look it up in a book. Or we could look up

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Both good mate. Just done my second Avalanche Enduro cup event in the uk (did last years too) Rough rocky and super fast sections with jumps drops but some evil climps in some of the stages. In other words, a good test. No issue in either even with the mojo.
    Kiwirider has boiled it down to the key differences. I'd go Mojo because it looks better. I don't really think most trail riders are going to worry the Mojo in any way

DWlink Fanboy
    Dec 2006
    I was speaking with Scot Nicol last summer at Mountain Bike Oregon. Ibis is shipping 1000s of bikes per year and so far, there has been only one catastrophic downtube failure on a Mojo that he is aware of from a "puncture wound". He stated that there is the occasional warranty claim for the frame from defective manufacturing, but this is rare and usually found within the first couple of weeks. I think that the data you'll see on this forum backs up Scot's comments.

The other thing you should know is that (as of last summer, prices may have changed), a rear triangle replacement due to rock strikes, etc. is $250. That's pretty reasonable. FWIW, I know few Ibis owners here in New England, and rock strikes just aren't an issue.

Albert

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I haven't had any problems or known anyone who has, other than the occasional one you see pop on this forum. NewEnglandRocks comment from Scot Nicol that cracks from manufacturing defects show up in the first few weeks is interesting because I have had the same experience with graphite (carbon) fly rods. Really high end carbon fly rods all have life time warranties and I have probably broken a dozen over the years. every single one except two (which I shut in a car door and accidentally kicked) broke within the first 5 uses. Good to know that chances of having a frame crack are really low after the first few rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild
    I haven't had any problems or known anyone who has, other than the occasional one you see pop on this forum. NewEnglandRocks comment from Scot Nicol that cracks from manufacturing defects show up in the first few weeks is interesting because I have had the same experience with graphite (carbon) fly rods. Really high end carbon fly rods all have life time warranties and I have probably broken a dozen over the years. every single one except two (which I shut in a car door and accidentally kicked) broke within the first 5 uses. Good to know that chances of having a frame crack are really low after the first few rides.
    Huh...funny... same here with the fly rods, but I never really thought about it before...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thank you for the input. It would make sense that if there were a high level of failures, the internet forums would blow it out of proportion (more frames break than were made!) so I think it's safe to conclude that the occasional issues are rare.

I may still try out the 5 Spot, but since I can get a nice deal on a Ibis, now the question is if I should do a Mojo, Mojo SL, complete bikes, or move over components.... I'll start reading the other postings on advice....

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Roch I was in the same position, wondering if I should build up or just get a complete bike. I've always built my own, but this time around I went for the complete bike, mostly for convenience but secondly because the parts pick is close enough to what I wanted (SL with WTF XX) and cost was going to be in the same ballpark. I MAY have saved a couple hundred bucks if I scraped around a while, but I'd rather be out riding my new rig than waiting on deals. Best of luck to ya!

ps. my buddy recently had his Blur crack at the bottom of the seat tube. It went 7 years though. Nothing lasts forever, except maybe Chris king headsets! =)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I did take a huge rock on my downtube by the bottem bracket taking a chunk out of it. Photoed it, Emailed the photo to Ibis, and they sent me a new ft triangle. No questions asked just put it in the mail. I was one of the first carbon Mojo riders when the new bike was released years ago and have had no other problems except this freak accident that Ibis took care of in less then 5 days. Moab, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas...etc 4 yrs lots of rock hits. Huge miles on this bike, big hits and big rocks.
    If something does happen to it now that it's out of warenty I'm off to the Ibis dealer for round two. Stuff happens but Ibis took care of me. I like riding badass stuff and this bike fits the bill and has superior service.
    Turner takes care of their people, too. But the Mojo was it for me. At the time Turner had the FSR/four bar back end. I'm not a skinny dude but taking a pound off a bike (5 spot vs. Mojo) is huge.
    Another option for me if I had any problems is to have it repaired at Calfee as I here they do great repairs.
    All and all tough choice. Most of my tribe won't ride carbon and my "event" just made that worse. When my buddy's Ellsworth cracked at the seat tube he didn't say he's sorry to my Mojo (Ellsworth took great care of him, too). But my doubts about carbon in the Mojo's case are gone.