mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Creaky/Crackly Headset? Mojo HD

Hi all, I was wondering if you could help me out. I am a bike shop mechanic, but I am at my wits end. My headset (I think) creaks and makes crackly noises whenever I compress my fork (X Fusion Vengeance). I took video with my iphone, and despite the bad picture quality the sound comes through pretty clearly. Headset noise - YouTube

If anybody else has had a similar experience please let me know - this has gone on for about 8 months and I am getting a bit tired of it.
    I have stuffed my headset full of grease a couple of times since the sound began but to no avail. I feel like maybe I should replace the thing and see if that helps, but if it doesn't, then I am out of that money and no closer to solving the issue. Any chance this could be the fork creaking at the crown and steertube area? Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.
    Last edited by banebane; 09-02-2013 at 03:16 PM. Reason: forgot link

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    When we couldn't get rid of the headset noise in my SL-R with a 32mm stanchion Fox fork, we ended up putting the fork in a different brand new bike and observed the same noise. The fork went back to Fox and they replaced the uppers due to the crown being loose on the steerer tube or the stanchions being loose in the crown causing the creaking.

We finally were able to isolate it on my bike by holding the whole bike up on its front wheel and grabbing the seat tube between the top tube and BB and giving it a good pulse down into the ground. This caused creaking/clicking to happen w/o compressing the front fork and not putting any pressure on any other moving parts. The LBS took it off to ready it to send back to Fox and confirmed it on another bike before doing so.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Remove the fork and attach a stem and handlebar to it. Stand on the Bar and grab the Fork by the lowers and torque on it. If it's the CSU making noise you will hear it.

Mtb Guide
    Yeah Im not so sure thats the headset either, Cane Creek aye?

Is the fork a tapered steerer, everything has been faced, Ive had forks where the steerer head where the crown race interfaces is not flush or paint spills from factory, one of the best solutions is also a split crown race, Ive had noises on Kings 1n 1/8th hs and gone to Hope with split CR no more creaks, I use a CK inset on my Hd no creaks.

But from the utube clip it sounds more like the fork as Canuck has pointed out?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    Remove the fork and attach a stem and handlebar to it. Stand on the Bar and grab the Fork by the lowers and torque on it. If it's the CSU making noise you will hear it.
    Hey great idea! I will have to remember that for the future and dealing with customers who have the same issue! I tried what you said and sure enough, it is most definitely the CSU, submitted my ticket to X Fusion!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    NP...I've had a few Fox Forks with this issue.

mtbr member