Thread: creaking sound

mtbr member
    May 2009

creaking sound

I have an Ibis mojo 09 model when I'm pedaling hard there is a creaking sound and it's very loud and annoying. I checked the frame for cracks but it doesn't have any. When I load the bike and bounced it, it is smooth and there is no sound at all, so I'm guessing the links and bearing are still good. What could be the cause of the creaking sound?

Dropshot Champ!
    I get a creak from my seatpost. You can feel and hear it coming from below the seatpost binder. The post has tons inserted and hasn't debonded.

mdc
    mtbr member
    Seat, seatpost, headset or cable guides. I get a "creak" from the cable guides frequently- a drop of light lube takes care of it no problem...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Check your headset and saddle. I had a very similar "issue" on my last ride. Turned out to be my headset. Loosen your headset and make sure it's properly positioned. It may need a very little bit of grease/lube. Then check the rail connections under your saddle. Lastly check the links on your frame including shock mounts (unlikely). Very last, make sure your bottom bracket is tight.

Things to try to diagnose the issue:

- Rock forward and back while standing on the bike (essentially trying to flex the head tube) and see if the creak is coming form your HEADSET.

- With bike still, rotate the bars back and forth and listen to see if it's coming from your HEADSET. (NOTE, creaks can also come from your cable housing during this "test").

- Grab your SADDLE with your hands and try to move it around and listen.

- Bounce on bike (feet on pedals) and listen for creaks coming from FRAME / BOTTOM BRACKET / etc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I had a constant creaking when pedaling on my new Mojo SL Special Blend (bought late July 2012) that was driving me crazy from the seat post area. I tried using TACX carbon assembly paste on the seat post and clamping area (inside and outside of the CF clamp zone at the top of the seat post tube) and still had the creaks. Turned out it was a stick-slip condition caused by the assembly paste a few inches down the seat post tube where the seat post was contacting CF inside the seat post tube/frame. I solved this by cleaning everything off (seat post and inside seat post tube), using a thin layer of Mobil 1 synthetic grease on all of the seat post inserted except for the top 1" and then using the TACX on the top inserted inch of the seat post and the clamping area as described above. This totally solved the creaking and the bike has been silent for 2 months now.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks, for the input guys. I'm ruling out the seat post and the headset since I just serviced my headset just recently and for the seat post its tight and the creaking is not coming from there because I usually pedal hard standing up and the creak is still there. I have tried bouncing it while sitting down and there are no creaks at all. Sound is there when I pedal hard and I rock the bike side to side. I tried moving my rear tires side to side last night and the creak is there. I checked everything cables rear skewer everything are all good. What could be the problem?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Check the contact points on your spokes. Where one spoke rubs another. A little lube may help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Cable guides on mine.

mtbr member
    check your derailleur hanger! I had a creak that was driving me insane....part of it was coming from the saddle rails, but the hanger was a major source - took it off, put grease on and voila! perfect - that was a 2 minute fix that was worth a few $$ in my sanity.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    LBS isolated my maddening creak to loose pedal eyelets.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Try checking your pedals ;-)...

[EDIT]
    oops. Thought the last poster was the original poster and the problem had been solved.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Reach down between your legs......and grab your cable housing.

Really. Grab the housing for the rear derailleur at the aft cable stop on the top tube. Ride. Feel how it moves when the suspension activates?

Squeeze your housing, hard....against the rear brake and front der. housing. Does the creak stop? If so, lube your housing....put some lube on the ferrule at the cable stop. Just about anything will work. Repeat as necessary.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Just to give you an update guys, the lbs mechanic removed my bb and clean it re-grease it and it was still there. He removed my wheelset and used a different one and the creak was gone. He then disassembled my hubs and he said everything is still new. He then removed my cogset and there is a lot of dirt in it. He clean it thoroughly and voila. Creaking is gone. Thanks to Todd for the advice. Ibis bikes and customer service is really awesome. Kudos to Todd for the pm, you really rock, man.