Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Creaking Ripley

Dog is my co-pilot

Creaking Ripley

Just curious how many new Ripley owners are experiencing a creaking noise when pedaling hard. Mine started creaking one hour into my first ride and i have not been able to pinpoint it yet. I took the top link apart and regreased the pivots but i didnt help. Im running an xtr 2x10 drivetrain with a shimano BB I'm hoping it's something simple and not an uncurable issue because it sure does take away from an otherwise stellar bike.
    [SIZE=3]race bicycles not dogs[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I had the creak within the first two weeks.
    It was coming from the area where the shock is mounted. The lower mount where two vertical mounting hardware bolts hold the shock.
    Took it apart and re-greased everything and it solve the problem.

mdc
    mtbr member
    Mine had a slight bit of play between the upper shock mounts. If I held the top tube and pulled on the shock it would move a tiny amount, but would cause a creak. Luckily a pedal washer was the exact right thickness and diameter to fix the problem.....

I'm more of a dog person
    I'm having the same issue. Very creaky and also had a lot of play at the lower shock mount. Tightened the bolts as hard as I could without stripping them but there is still a very small amount of play, enough to cause the creak. Still searching for a remedy, some sort of thin washer or spacer. Pedal washer sounds good but I don't have any

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Just a note to be aware that the new style Fox bushings do have a small amount of lateral movement built in even when everything is tight. Grease should quiet things down if there is a noise coming from that area though.

H
    Quote Originally Posted by unclekittykiller View Post
    I'm having the same issue. Very creaky and also had a lot of play at the lower shock mount. Tightened the bolts as hard as I could without stripping them but there is still a very small amount of play, enough to cause the creak. Still searching for a remedy, some sort of thin washer or spacer. Pedal washer sounds good but I don't have any
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

I'm more of a dog person
    My play is coming from the lower shock mount like alwayslivingthedream mentioned. there is no play in the upper mount with the new fox bushing, even though it's now housing a Monarch. the play seems like it's being caused by the two vertical screw halves bottoming before they can fully clamp the shock eye tight into the clevis.

Dog is my co-pilot
    On my last ride i discovered that my shifter cables were migrating into the head tube a tiny bit every time i turned the handlebars until eventually there was no more slack in the cables where they exit the head tube as well as that movement was causing some of the noises i was hearing while i was riding. To hopefully cure the problem i put a small cable tie around the cables individually on the outside of the headtube to keep them from sliding back into the holes on their own. Its seems to be working and the cables are making a lot less noise than before. Hopefully my next ride will be a quieter one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I was having a terrible creaking a week into my new ride. I checked everything and thought it was the cables. They checked out fine. This morning I pulled the rear wheel off and to my surprise the Maxle was bone dry and the drive side cone fell off into my hand along with the cassette free hub body! So I tightened it all up and greased the Maxle and BAM quiet again! Make sure and check the wheels out as it sounded like shock bolts or the bottom bracket to me and it was just noise transferring from the rear of the bike through the carbon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I also developed some creaks after a few rides. In my case, it was a combination of seat rails and bottom bracket. I cleaned the seat rails and seat post clamp, put a little grease on the rails, and reassembled. I pulled the crankset out, cleaned up the bottom bracket, checked the chainring bolts, greased everything, and reassembled. The creaking is gone. For now, at least.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by n8ballTX View Post
    I was having a terrible creaking a week into my new ride. I checked everything and thought it was the cables. They checked out fine. This morning I pulled the rear wheel off and to my surprise the Maxle was bone dry and the drive side cone fell off into my hand along with the cassette free hub body! So I tightened it all up and greased the Maxle and BAM quiet again! Make sure and check the wheels out as it sounded like shock bolts or the bottom bracket to me and it was just noise transferring from the rear of the bike through the carbon.
    ^^This. Make sure that maxle is greased! Crank bolts are another suspect spot to make sure are greased properly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Have a strange knocking sound in my medium XX1 build. Turns out that the Easton EC90 has a very long foreward bolt, and the shell of the Ibis seat is soft, so it hits the top of the bolt.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    ditto to what n8balltx said.

i had a creak, and it was the maxle.

loving the bike, hating the drivetrain though. this xt w/ ethirteen drivetrain reminds me of why i went off the deep end and rode only my single speed for 5 years.

Anyway, not working well for me, and I'm selling if anyone wants a great deal on a close to new xt/e13 drivetrain. i'm goin to try xx1.

cheers,
    w

Lightly salted
    What issues are you having? Are you using a clutch rear der? I know my XTR drivetrain would drop chain a lot until I got a rear clutch derailleur. Ill be building my Ripley soon. Not sure if I will switch over my XTR 10speed drive train or just go xx1.

Quote Originally Posted by holiday View Post
    ditto to what n8balltx said.

i had a creak, and it was the maxle.

loving the bike, hating the drivetrain though. this xt w/ ethirteen drivetrain reminds me of why i went off the deep end and rode only my single speed for 5 years.

Anyway, not working well for me, and I'm selling if anyone wants a great deal on a close to new xt/e13 drivetrain. i'm goin to try xx1.

cheers,
    w

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    What issues are you having? Are you using a clutch rear der? I know my XTR drivetrain would drop chain a lot until I got a rear clutch derailleur. Ill be building my Ripley soon. Not sure if I will switch over my XTR 10speed drive train or just go xx1.
    xtr or xx1 should be good.

my xt clutch broke, they replace w/ a new der, but it wasn't great when i worked.
    the e thirteen crank is wrong, apparently they couldn't get it to work w/ a 2 speed der, so they speced a 3 speed, and it has a propensity to drop chains and is imprecise. i got 2nd in a masters enduro by 14 sec and dropped my chain twice, so this issue cost me the win and a top 10 overall.

for background, after my 5 years of SS exclusive, I got the first XO 9 speed rear, and rode a double guard single front that was rock solid. I kept the 1x9 drivetrain for 3 bikes in a row, and didn't change till last summer w/ my first 29er. I just don't have the power for 1x9 w/ 29 and getting a bit weaker at 44 (w/ less milage).

bike is amazing though. the 650b thing is interesting, and with any other 29er I've ridden, I might be leaning that way, but this one is so damn agile and playful, where's the downside?

cheers,
    Holiday

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Sorry about the problems regarding the E-13 crank / FD set up, we must not have gotten the word out to the shop who was building your bike. It's a new thing with the 2x+bash and the set up technique is not obvious until you've done one.

It is possible to get flawless performance out of that drive train....

The 2 main points are that a 2 ring plus bash is really a 3x crank so 2x shifters and front derailluers don't play well with it.

AND, that the FD needs to be positioned as if the BASH were the big ring. (much higher than you would guess if locating based on the middle position) That way the ramps on the FD cage are in the right spot to move the chain around correctly. Here's a better explanation, a tech bulletin we did about how to set it up.:

http://www.ibiscycles.com/downloads/...n_Edit_2.1.pdf
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    thx for the ideas Hans.
    Olympic up here in Tahoe city has some pretty good mechanics, and after early issues, they figured out the triple thing and made some adjustments, I still think having that extra range of the triple has issues and causes lost chains, but as my history states, I was anti triple and anti non specific 2x. It feels a bit like going backwards with so many good double specific solutions.

both my friend and i that got them at the same time have gone through the xt clutch, and he has gone through the bb already as well.

cheers,
    holiday

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    I built my Ripley with XX1 and absolutely love it. I can't see myself going back to a double let alone a triple.

mtbr member
    I too hate the 2x drivetrain, small ring is too easy, big ring is too hard an I remembered the reason I went 1x in the firstplace.. cuz I HATE front der.'s! Couldn't find a happy gear on the demo ripley. Built my own with 1x10 xtr an wolftooth chainring, an it's back to normal! 2x an 3x drivetrains are dead to me..
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

Dog is my co-pilot
    After spending the better part of two weeks disassembling ,greasing and reassembling my ripley riding it for a couple hours only to have the creak return i finally realized the noise is coming from the top mount of the rear shock being forced sideways by the lateral movement in the rear triangle. This combined with the incredibly loose fitting seat post which is almost impossible to tighten enough prompted me to put it back in the box and ship it back to where it came from. Problem Solved!

mtbr member
    I have a loud creaking on my Ripley also. Any ideas what to do next?

Description of the issue:

The creaking can be heard when compressing the rear suspension while riding the bike. In the beginning of the first ride the bike was quiet but the creaking started soon. It seems to be coming from somewhere around seat tube/rear shock area.

Seat post (RS Reverb) was one of the suspects but the creaking is there also when riding while standing when suspension compresses.

What has been done so far:

- At first we thought it might be the cranks (SRAM XX1) which were a little bit loose after the first ride => cranks were tightened and they have stayed tight => no help
    - Crank bolts have been retightened after first ride => no help
    - The rear shock has been removed and grease has been liberally applied to the both the lower and upper shock mounts/bolts => no help
    - We also regreased the rear Maxle axle => no help
    - Headset, pedals and few other bolts have been checked for tightness and no problems there

What other suspects there might be? Could the cause be somewhere in the eccentrics/suspension links? Any other suggestions?
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by clunkin View Post
    After spending the better part of two weeks disassembling ,greasing and reassembling my ripley riding it for a couple hours only to have the creak return i finally realized the noise is coming from the top mount of the rear shock being forced sideways by the lateral movement in the rear triangle. This combined with the incredibly loose fitting seat post which is almost impossible to tighten enough prompted me to put it back in the box and ship it back to where it came from. Problem Solved!
    Ouch....

mdc
    mtbr member
    Again- check for side to side play in the upper shock mounts. I called Ibis when mine started creaking and they said that the Fox spacers were not 100%. A pedal washer solved the problem and the bike has been perfect ever since...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I've been thinking a minor creak is coming from my XX1 Type 2 derailleur.
    I'm going to do the derailleur rebuild/regrease this weekend. Hopefully that solves mine!

Leq
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    My first XX1 rear derailleur was noisy as hell and creaked every time the suspension compressed. Propably it was overtightened and dry clutch mechanism. Replacement has been ok, no noises. Creaky xx1 has been quite common complaint and worth checking out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Hey Leq, did you even attempt the rebuild or did your shop just opt to replace it?
    How long ago did you get your replacement?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast