mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Creaking noise when I'm putting power down.

So I can't duplicate the noise when I'm off the bike so I'm not sure what it could be. The noise only happens when I'm seated and I'm putting power down up steep incline. No noise when I'm off the saddle or when I'm just spinning while seated on lesser grade of incline. I can trackstand and bounce on the suspension with no noises. So I'm out of ideas where it's coming from....

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    clean your cable housing ends.

mtbr member
    I had the same problem. It turned out to be a dirty seat post. I took it out, wiped it down and all the creaks went away. I love easy solutions.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

Happy when not-last.
    Check the seat post and the seat rails where they meet the clamp on the seat post.
    All your base are belong to ME.

mtbr member
    Had the same problem. it was my cable furrells.

Erik

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    I had the same problem once and it turned out to be the hose to my colostomy bag rubbing on the seat tube mounted triathalon water bottle holder.

Either that or you're low on shifter fluid.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Another less obvious but fairly common one is the rear wheel, specifically the freehub or cassette.

Pedals, especially ti spindle ones, BB cups, chain ring bolts, tighten the rear QR and see if it changes.....

H

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Check where your rear shifter cable meets at the base of your seat post. I was getting a squeak from that area but not when my rear shock was locked out.

www.derbyrims.com
    Under power... I used to get that only while cranking hard with quick release rear hubs on my Mojo. Since going to 10mm bolts that creak is gone, except recently I forgot to tighten one side up real good and the familiar creak returned until I checked that.

Could be a loose cassette too.

Slothful dirt hippie
    I'd reef on the seat, change it, wipe it down, etc. I've had hecka creaking off and on from the seat post. Fortunately my hearing is bad and my 'ignoring harmless noise' skilz are good... 16 years married this year, what can I say.... :P
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Another idea: Depending on your saddle design, lube where the rails enter/attach to the saddle. After a couple years my Fizik Aliante developed a nasty squeak the next ride after wet rides. I lube where the rails enter the plastic at rear of the saddle and voila...silence.

aka dan51
    If it only happens when putting down the power it could be your knees...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Well..the noise is gone. I tighten the seat clamps, the rear wheel QR and wipe down the whole seat post.

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have the same issue, but i know it is coming from the rear brake. When I am off it, the wheel spins freely, but when I'm cranking hard on a turn or in general, I can hear the rotor squeak against the pads.

I tightened the qr, what else could it be? Do I need to replace the pads? SOrry to highjack, but this falls under the same topic.

Ryan

Happy when not-last.
    Quote Originally Posted by RPG
    I have the same issue, but i know it is coming from the rear brake. When I am off it, the wheel spins freely, but when I'm cranking hard on a turn or in general, I can hear the rotor squeak against the pads.

I tightened the qr, what else could it be? Do I need to replace the pads? SOrry to highjack, but this falls under the same topic.

Ryan
    Your pads are possibly contaminated if they're making noise like that. I'd suggest replacing them and check to be sure your rotor is as close to dead-center between them as possible.
    All your base are belong to ME.

Church of the Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by RPG

Ryan
    Check your hub bearing adjustment. A small amount of play can allow the rotor path to change just enough to rub when cornering or applying an uneven side load to the rear wheel.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    I'm convinced the clicking noise I have is coming from the XTR rear hub. I've done everything else to isolate it and it only happens during the steep, slow, seated climbs. LBS has taken it apart twice but see nothing wrong. I have one year left of warranty and will somehow convince LBS (or Shimano) to replace under warranty as it has happened from the very first ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by avam
    I'm convinced the clicking noise I have is coming from the XTR rear hub. I've done everything else to isolate it and it only happens during the steep, slow, seated climbs. LBS has taken it apart twice but see nothing wrong. I have one year left of warranty and will somehow convince LBS (or Shimano) to replace under warranty as it has happened from the very first ride.
    Have you tried putting another wheel on with the same cassette?
    milesW

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by miles wadsworth
    Have you tried putting another wheel on with the same cassette?
    No, but I have swapped an entire rear wheel and the noise disappeared.