Thread: Creaking BB92

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Creaking BB92

Hi everyone,

Quick question to you all.

I've had a Ripley since last August, one of the components is a Shimano BB92. I've done about 3200km on it. For the last three weeks its been creaking like crazy and driving me mad. I'd finally resolved the other creaking issue and now this one popped up . . . . .

Is there anything I can do? Remove the BB and clean re-grease, re-press? Can that even be done, someone told me that press fit BB are single use as you have to bust them to take them out? Is that right?

Also, has anyone had this issue with the Shimano BB92. Are there any others that you recommend? Is it just the distance on the BB and its time to replace?

Thanks everyone,

Exx

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I had problems with the pf30 on another bike and fixed it with loctite 609, bearing retaining compound. Quite a bit of a hassle as most of the how tos I found by googling said to put the compound between the plastic bearing holder and the frame. I had to remove the bearings from the plastic holder and repress them in after puting 609 on them. All this requires good tools which can cost a bit.

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by Exxodus1 View Post
    Hi everyone,

Quick question to you all.

I've had a Ripley since last August, one of the components is a Shimano BB92. I've done about 3200km on it. For the last three weeks its been creaking like crazy and driving me mad. I'd finally resolved the other creaking issue and now this one popped up . . . . .

Is there anything I can do? Remove the BB and clean re-grease, re-press? Can that even be done, someone told me that press fit BB are single use as you have to bust them to take them out? Is that right?

Also, has anyone had this issue with the Shimano BB92. Are there any others that you recommend? Is it just the distance on the BB and its time to replace?

Thanks everyone,

Exx
    You don't have anything to lose by pulling the bb, re-greasing it, along with the spindle/bb interface, and reinstalling. Some manufacturers recommend grease, others do not. Due to the varying tolerances, some, like Wheels Mfg, say that you may need to use some retaining compound.

I have the road equivalent of that shimano BB on my Giant, and while it went in snugly, after a few years of use, I was able to remove one of the cups by hand. I had some creaking as well, and re-greasing quieted it for the most part. I re-purposed headset tools for the removal and installation, from what I recall.

Good luck.

-D