Thread: crank length ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

crank length ?

still 4 weeks till the SL arrives.... working out build at present.

I have always ridden with cranks 172.5cm after a pro advised me to get shorter cranks a few years ago.he sais that unless I was over six foot the 175would be too long for me.
    Are there any rules what is the best length for height.
    I am 6ft 6inches to , 6ft7nch tall. Not a huge diff in crank length, but longer cranks seem better for climbing very short steep pinches, but shorter have more ground clearance and higher and smoother cadence.
    any advantage in going back to a 175 over the 172.5?

tanks

whoa!
    Mar 2007
    Similar question here. . . I'm 6' 3"+ and had only 175's on every mtb, but now I'm thinking of going down to 170's for ground clearance as well.

There is a definite mechanical advantage for climbing with longer crank arms but in my case I'm using a 30 cogset right now and can easily go up to 32 or 34.

EDIT : here's a good link with other imbedded links dealing with this issue
    http://www.zinncycles.com/cranks.aspx
    Personally I'm not going to 200's, but I might try 180's. . .
    Last edited by Shin Music; 03-18-2008 at 09:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I rode with 172.5 cranks for about 5 years. they work best for me on tight single track
    where I noticed a quicker excelleration. Also noticed on a constant long not to steep climb,
    I was working harder than riders about equal conditioning to me. I'm 5'10'' with 31 inseem
    just my 3 cents worth.
    you could buy a pair of used 172.5 cranks, try them out and see what you think.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmitch2
    I rode with 172.5 cranks for about 5 years. they work best for me on tight single track
    where I noticed a quicker excelleration. Also noticed on a constant long not to steep climb,
    I was working harder than riders about equal conditioning to me. I'm 5'10'' with 31 inseem
    just my 3 cents worth.
    you could buy a pair of used 172.5 cranks, try them out and see what you think.
    As the others mention, you can spin faster more easily and have slightly more ground clearance with shorter cranks, but you noticeably loose crank power for steep and slower long climbs.

MTBR Contributing Editor
    I am 5'9" with a 31.5" inseam and I ride 175, always have, best compromise for me, the extra lever length is nice for those tight technical sections where you have to power your way up, especially the explosive type of moves, yea you do bash pedals more often, but 2.5mm isn't that much difference for clearance, I think all my mtb friends, racers and slackers all use 175's, I don't even use the 32 cogset much anymore, to much torque and wheel lift, must be getting stronger?