mtbr member

Crank Brothers Iodine 3 vs ZTR Flow EX wheelsets

Hi guys!

I'm thinking about the posibility of building my next Mojo HD (yes, I have said it correctly, Mojo HD, not HDR), step by step.

About the wheelset choice, I have considered two options: Crank Brothers Iodine 3 or ZTR Flow EX. What do you prefer?

Relative to Iodine, I've heard about problems, above all in their hubs, but I don't know if they were only in old versions/seasons or if they continue nowadays.

And relative to ZTR Flow EX, I have always heard good opinions but I don't know about the hubs they have (Speed-Tune), at least when you get them in the Ibis's kits. Also, I admit that Iodine wheels are too much good looking... hahaha

Thanks!

mtbr member
    i have 2 sets of flows, 26" and 650b, both laced to hope pro 2 evo hubs. it is solid combo, heavy duty, sort of like HD. 26" set have been used for 2 years, 650b for over 1 year. zero issues, just lube bearings once in a while. built both myself, my first two sets. got really good deals on both rims and hubs. i dont really care for looks of iodine, those rim tabs are just too ugly to me, but its just me.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Go custom. Flow EX to Pro 2s or WTB 123s. More coin in your pocket Hadleys or I9s chain reaction cycles in England has great deals on Flows laced to pro 2 evos Sorry but everything I've owned from Crank Bros has blown up in a few weeks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If choosing from the Ibis site options - definitely Flow EX over CBs. Way too many CB failures to go down that path. I like custom wheels or I9 Torchs if you are expanding your options.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've owned and ridden both extensively and both are great wheelsets. Most of the CB hub issues were on their 1st gen due to a poor free hub design which was resolved 2-3 years ago. The biggest knock against the iodines is weight which has been reduced a bit on the 3's. In terms of performance, neither wheel offers anything exceptional. However, you will be much less pissed the first time you dent a stan's rim as opposed to an Iodine. For the same $$ as Iodines, you can get a set of Flows on king hubs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobanovskyy View Post
    Hi guys!

I'm thinking about the posibility of building my next Mojo HD (yes, I have said it correctly, Mojo HD, not HDR), step by step.

About the wheelset choice, I have considered two options: Crank Brothers Iodine 3 or ZTR Flow EX. What do you prefer?

Relative to Iodine, I've heard about problems, above all in their hubs, but I don't know if they were only in old versions/seasons or if they continue nowadays.

And relative to ZTR Flow EX, I have always heard good opinions but I don't know about the hubs they have (Speed-Tune), at least when you get them in the Ibis's kits. Also, I admit that Iodine wheels are too much good looking... hahaha

Thanks!
    ZTR Flow EX is a good rim. Lace it up with Kings or Hadleys and you have a relatively light set of bomber wheels that are easy to keep true. I'm not a fan of proprietary wheel designs.

mtbr member
    I have seen many crank bros parts in the trash bin. Their designers design in this order. looks first, engineering, performance second.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    CB all the way! I have a set of Iodines 3, great wheels, no problems, looks are amazing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Had my CB iodine 3s for one and half year on my HD, and its been flawless.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    CB is so pretty and so crappy at the same time...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    My HD (used) came with CB Iodine 3 and they do look awesome and have been mostly problem free for 2+ years now with aggressive ridding - I personally would have not spent this much on wheel though. I also got a pair of Flow/Ibis set that I used for park ridding/DH courses with 2.5 tires and those have held just fine in the ~12 days of DH abuse they've seen...

In Building a dedicated DH bike (Giant Glory) I decided to get the Flow EX + Hope pro 2 hubs for a light weight tubeless DH set as mine worked well of my Mojo HD. I was all set to get them from chainReactionCycles (much cheaper than building it, or buying in the US) when I realized they did not carry the 150x12 rear I needed and kept being out of parts to have them custom build one (which they do for free if you order all the parts from them). Gave up and found cyclesportsuk.co.uk which sold every configurations of the same factory Hope wheelset, lets you pick a hub color (I picked blue) AND were $100 cheaper than CRC to top it off! got my wheels in 9 days on west coast (held 3+ days in NY customs) and rode that weekend for opening day at Northstar. I was stocked...

Flow EX (I removed most stickers) + Colored Hubs Hope Pro 2 look plenty snazzy and great value vs CB Io3

mtbr member
    Does anyone have a photo of their Iodine 3's with a 9mm Qr setup. I've gotten the wrong end caps twice.