mtbr member
    Nov 2008

cracks in the rear triangle

Guys,
    I own a green Mojo for 9-10 month. So far I am very satisfied and happy from the bike, they do ride great !
    But - last week I discovered a crack in the rear triangle, just close to where the reak shock is connected.
    Now, I am not a heavy guy, nor am I an aggressive rider.
    I am hoping people here can share their experience , is this a common problem with Ibis Carbon frame. Do they replace the frame with no problem or should I expect any issues.
    Thanks in advance
    Dror

mtbr member
    if i were you i would contact IBIS asap! why wait? i'm guessing (and hoping) if it's a stress crack that they'd fix/replace your frame.

however, i'm no expert!

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Take some pictures of the crack, and post them here. Hans frequents this site, and he will let you know if it is something serious. From what I have read in the past, if it is a defect, they will replace the rear triangle immediately. Their customer service is second to none!!!

Good luck,

Kevin

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

cracks in the rear triangle - cont

Thanks guys for the reply. I obviously did not wait, went to my LBS who confirmed it is a crack, and the frame was already sent to IBIS.

The reasons I am worried are two:

1. IBIS asked for the frame to analyze it, so I have some concern about their replacement policy.

2. As the warranty on the frame is only 2 years, and I just got a crack after less than a year - I am getting very concerned about the stregth and durabulity of the bike. I really woudnt like to find my self n the situation 2 years from now. I am therefore intrested to know, even if the answer is less popular, whether this is a known issue with Ibis/Carbon.

I hope their service is as good as you guys say...

Prior to that I rode a Specialized EPIC for 6 years and never had any cracks....

Thanks again

Dror

PTP
    WWW.PEDALTHEPEAKS.BIZ
    Sep 2009
    Do not be concerned about the fact that you had to send the frame in. You will be hard pressed to fined a High end manifacture that will warranty a bike just off of a photo. Since the bikes are made over seas by a sorced manifacture they need the bike back for evaluation because in the end the factory that made the frame will need Ibis to handle the clame. Do not be worried Ibis will help you out one way or another, and as far as the durability of the frame the bike is awsome you probaly got a blem that slipped through QC. While carbon is a great material for bicycle frames sometimes it can be harder to QC when not made in house, but then agan find a bike company that is small and rider owned who has the ability to build high end carbon bikes in house and who is still in business.

meh
    1. There should be no concern as to the replacement, they are more than fair, and very fast at processing

2. this is not a known issue with ibis or carbon fiber, either you banged it pretty hard (your fault, but replacement costs are minimal) or there was a manufacturing defect (rare, but will happen, ibis has shown to more than willing to replace the product)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

It's actually already been replaced

UPDATE:

We got it in UPS this AM and it's already been replaced at no charge.

Don't worry, they are normally very strong and should last for a long time.

H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

aka dan51
    I wouldn't worry about the frame. Sounds like you got a fluke. Is it the demo green or the pesto green? If it was a demo bike, then who knows the torture it went through before you got it.

I used to ride an 08 Specialized Stumpjumper. I broke that frame in 8 months. I've been on the Mojo since and am riding it way harder than I ever did on the Stumpy. I'm surprised at what the Mojo will handle. I'll never doubt a carbon frame again, at least until I see one catastrophically fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    yee hawwww

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Amazing!!

Thank you Hans

This forum is amazing as I learned here that the frame is replaced before hearing it from my
    LBS ...

Thanks again for the excellent service.

Now I am eager to have them built and ride again.

Thanks again for all the replies

D

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Green vs Green

I am not familiar with the difference between demo green and pesto green,
    I think I have the green as in the wen site. I didn't buy a demo bike though...
    so what the story with the demo green

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by drorbaron
    I am not familiar with the difference between demo green and pesto green,
    I think I have the green as in the wen site. I didn't buy a demo bike though...
    so what the story with the demo green
    It's called pond scum green. You'll know it when you seen it . It was the color of demo bikes in previous years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".