mtbr member
    May 2007

Crack or cosmetic? Opinions?

Had a week away this week so the Mojo has really got to put the miles in, unfortunately today (the last day we're here, grr) I spotted this where the top tube meets the seatpost.

The mark is is right along the seam in the cosmetic top coat, it's about 2-3" long and the clearcoat has flaked away around it. I was in the middle of nowhere when I spotted it so carried on riding, it fortunately didn't feel massively flexy or fall on half. It's an '07 Mojo and the clearcoat has started cracking in a few places:

I did ponder if the extra flex on the frame was from all the road miles it's got in this week, the seatpost is a bit hefty:

Really hoping it's cosmetic, the ride quality has been fantastic. Absolutely beautiful bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hate to/Have to ask, but you do have the seatpost inserted to the minimum-mark on the post right?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yeah, it's a 410mm Thomson Elite. It's in roughly 1" past the minimum mark. This does obviously leave quite a huge amount of seatpost out, with my 210lbs or so sat on the top. 6'6" with fairly long legs, it's an XL Mojo. It used to have the 367mm Thomson post, but I was worried it was too close to the mark so swapped to the longer one.

It's tightened up fairly tight (I've actually ordered an allen key clamp to replace the QR one), with Pace Carbon Assembley paste, otherwise I get a bit of a creak.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    We'll need to replace your front triangle.

Drop us an email hans@ibiscycles.com and we'll sort things out.

Thanks,

Hans

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    and this is why i'd never ride carbon....

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks very much Hans

mtbr member
    May 2007
    These things happen, reassuringly they don't seem to happen as often to the likes of Ibis which is what swayed me this way, I've seen far more aluminium frames with hairline cracks in the welding than I have on carbon frames, which is why I still think it's purely cosmetic. I do have a 140mm aluminium trail bike decked out in the same level of gear sat at home for this week, it's not a patch on the Mojo though

It's also worth pointing out, that I managed to finish off a long loop after noticing this mark, the bike didn't explode into shards as most people would seem to assume would happen on carbon. Very solid feeling bike.
    Last edited by RedToasty; 05-07-2010 at 03:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ilostmypassword
    And all the metals never crack or have welds fail? Good luck believing that.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Amazing Service

And that response from Hans, right there, is one of the two biggest reasons I am purchasing a Mojo! The other, of course, being the quality and design of the bike itself! Awesome!

I'm new to the nuances of carbon. I've been talking with a relatively local shop about ordering an XL. I don't know that I have the patience to wait for an HD.... .......so I'm flopping back and forth between the original Mojo and the SL.

I am 6'6" too, and 240, and had plans to run the exact same seatpost, thinking I'll need the length for my 36" inseam legs.

I have a question though, and sorry crew if it is simplistic or not really relevant. I'm just trying to learn.

Hans, I know you mentioned elsewhere that someone at Ibis is super tall and riding a Mojo. Has he had any similar problems running a long post? Do you think RedToasty's issue had anything to do with the length of his post? Would a carbon setback post (can't remember who makes it, but I've seen one) make a difference? I think I'm going to need that....

Cheers

eman

mtbr member
    I know somebody who runs a long seat post on a Giant Reign he cracked his seat mast also, but since it was aluminum it was unridable. At least this bike is still ridable AND he will be getting a new front triangle probably for free! Cant' beat that!

holding back the darkness
    And this is why I know to never consider your opinion in technical matters.

It's a little passe to play the "never trust carbon" card. I think all the counter-arguments are about as dead as the original argument. All materials fail. I have broken steel, aluminum, and carbon bikes. The carbon bike was the only one that I was actually able to finish the ride.
    Ibis just happens to stand behind their products.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc
    We'll need to replace your front triangle.

Drop us an email hans@ibiscycles.com and we'll sort things out.

Thanks,

Hans
    ...and this is why I will continue buying carbon from Ibis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody
    At least this bike is still ridable AND he will be getting a new front triangle probably for free! Cant' beat that!
    Yup, flawless company, completely standing by their product. It was an older frame as well, improvements have been made since then to the XL model in that area.

I really dont think this is an example of "never trust carbon", to be honest, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

Dropshot Champ!
    so are they replacing it for free or do you have to buy a crash replacement?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Replacing it for free! Hans was fantastic.

...and this is why I will continue to ride carbon...

gnuH
    That is a truck-load of leverage you are putting on the upper seat tube.

What's to stop it happening again?
    A green bird with a red body. We could look it up in a book. Or we could look up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwirider
    That is a truck-load of leverage you are putting on the upper seat tube.

What's to stop it happening again?
    You're right. Maybe an XXL frame will help next time.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It was a 2007 frame, the area which cracked was along a seam in the carbon and apparently is caused by bubbles during the molding process, which apparently is fairly specific to XL models due to the shape of that area. Apparently 99% of these possible cases have been solved now.

6'6" is pretty big I know, there are certainly a few other riders of the same height though, and on a similar note I think my weight is around the low to average for that sort of height.

I still think the crack is purely cosmetic, as you say, there's a truck-load of leverage on that tube, yet it managed to carry me home, without a hint of noticable flex. This was the route home that day:

the track shot down a vicious downhill and over another mountainous hill behind it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I swear people act as if Al and Steel (and even Ti) frames never crack or break. It's unreasonable fear. I'd 10x rather be on a carbon frame that fails than an AL one because of HOW these materials fail. IMHO, the perfect frame would be a Ti front mated to a carbon rear. Mootjo pls!

Too Much Fun
    Do we need to dig up the Turner failures photo essay? Or the Ti failure photo archive?
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalamath
    IMHO, the perfect frame would be a Ti front mated to a carbon rear. Mootjo pls!
    You can get one. Just not in DW flavor, yet... Kent Eriksen will mate a sweet Ti front triangle to a YETI rear. TItus has a few, and here's their latest.

Totally impressed with IBIS' customer service.

Proud bike-o-holic
    Quote Originally Posted by RedToasty
    Replacing it for free! Hans was fantastic.

...and this is why I will continue to ride carbon...
    After reading this, Im so happy I purchased a Mojo. This company is awesome.

This is the kind of stuff that makes you proud of any product you buy.

Regards

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Indeed, my next purchase is going to be a Mojo HD I think when they're a bit more common around these parts

Plays with tools
    although Hans has already taken care of you the sound of carbon is the best indicator of a structural failure. If you tap on the carbon with something solid (back end of a screw driver, metal machinist ruler) and see if the sound changes when you go from something that is solid to something that is questionable. if it all sounds the same your OK if it changes to a more hollow note it is done.

as for the blatant generalization of carbon failing come on get a little bit of an education, Ibis has a wonderful explanation about materials and how they relate to cycling, start their. So what are you doing on a board that is for a company that only has one non-carbon bike in their lineup (are the Ti mojo ltd still available even?) why don't you lose your password again until you read up a little