Team Sanchez

Couple of HD action shots from the Canyons Bike Park.

Here's two shots of me on my HD 160 from the Canyons Bike Park in Park City Utah. I've been on this bike for about 10 months now. I love this bike, but one thing really needs to be remedied. I'm running a 2.3 Speshy Butcher on the rear, and it rubs the seat tube on bigger hits. 2.3???!! Come on! Add a little clearance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Couple of HD action shots from the Canyons Bike Park.-canyons8.jpg  

Couple of HD action shots from the Canyons Bike Park.-c4small.jpg  

Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member
    Schweeet!
    Ride On!

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon View Post
    ... I love this bike, but one thing really needs to be remedied. I'm running a 2.3 Speshy Butcher on the rear, and it rubs the seat tube on bigger hits. 2.3???!! Come on! Add a little clearance.
    Careful ! Way to launch... great action shots!

The HD Gen-2 center frame, first available last August (having the fixed front der hanger) added more seat tube tire clearance, there should be enough clearance with a 2.3 x 26 tire at full travel. My Gen-2 HD160 with offset shock bushings making tire clearance about 1/8th inch closer to the seat tube, has more than 1/8th inch clearance with a Panaracer CG 2.35 x 26 inch AM tire.

Although OK to lightly bottom the shock occasionally while trail riding, be certain the shock is not hard bottoming during FR sessions. Hard bottoming will make serious frame, swingarm, and link flex, and possible very dangerous sudden failure. I'm sure the well experienced OP knows that... but beginners to larger jumps may not know how seriously dangerous hard bottoming the shock is when landing jumps.

Team Sanchez
    Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    Careful ! Way to launch... great action shots!

The HD Gen-2 center frame, first available last August (having the fixed front der hanger) added more seat tube tire clearance, there should be enough clearance with a 2.3 x 26 tire at full travel. .
    I bought mine last October. Mine is the new version with added clearance, and I still get tire rub with the 2.3 butcher. Lame.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Wow, that is the definition of "Going for it!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I bought mine last October. Mine is the new version with added clearance, and I still get tire rub with the 2.3 butcher. Lame.
    Dang. I was going to put on a Butcher also. I know better now. Thanks.

Sweet air time btw
    We Ride In God's Country!

Weapon of Choice
    hmmmmmm judging from the way El rides the HD, im sure not to many others with the HD have experienced the dreaded back tire rub!

Super Unknown

mtbr member
    Nice Air! thats putting the hd thru its paces-

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Here's two shots of me on my HD 160 from the Canyons Bike Park in Park City Utah. I've been on this bike for about 10 months now. I love this bike, but one thing really needs to be remedied. I'm running a 2.3 Speshy Butcher on the rear, and it rubs the seat tube on bigger hits. 2.3???!! Come on! Add a little clearance.
    Nice shots!

Regarding the clearance, we have seen some shocks go beyond the 63 mm design shaft travel. Can you check and see if the actual shaft travel is greater than 63? We've seen some Monarchs go to 65 mm shaft travel. It all get's multiplied by almost 3 so it translates into a real difference at the wheel, so you might be getting 165 mm wheel travel. It should not rub at 63.

Another thing to check is the rear shock eye bolt. If it's bent or the shock bushings are allowing substantial flex, it also might allow the wheel to go further than normal.

H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.