_____
    Jul 2007

Correct Works Components Angle Headset for an HD

I want to purchase an angle set from Works Components for my XL HD. There are no distributors in the US so I cannot rely on my LBS to order the correct headset. It looks like I can order directly from Works through their website and they ship to the US. Can someone tell me if this is NOT the correct headset to use with my 1 1/8 straight steerer fork:

EC44 -ZS49

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    That is one possibility. I discussed that with Worksc. and they advised my to rether take the EC44-EC$) headset. Like that one is not bound to the 1 1/8 steerer in the future. Which was good since now I'm runnung a tapered steerer already.

NEW - 1 0 Degree EC44 -EC49 - Tapered Steerer Tube Headset

_____
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by marcoton21 View Post
    That is one possibility. I discussed that with Worksc. and they advised my to rether take the EC44-EC$) headset. Like that one is not bound to the 1 1/8 steerer in the future. Which was good since now I'm runnung a tapered steerer already.

NEW - 1 0 Degree EC44 -EC49 - Tapered Steerer Tube Headset
    Thank you for your reply.

I like the idea of being able to run tapered and straight forks, but wouldn't the EC (external cup I believe) raise the head tube and bottom bracket versus using a ZS (zero stack) bottom cup which would keep the head tube and bottom bracket lower? Am I correct?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Yes you are right concering the geo change in general.

Yet the Mojo HD ist designed to be run with an external lower cup like the Canecreek 40 headset. Here the Angleset with EC cup will not raise the BB.

So, a lower ZS cup will in turn effectively lower the bars and BB.

_____
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by marcoton21 View Post
    Yes you are right concering the geo change in general.

Yet the Mojo HD ist designed to be run with an external lower cup like the Canecreek 40 headset. Here the Angleset with EC cup will not raise the BB.

So, a lower ZS cup will in turn effectively lower the bars and BB.
    Hmmm.... I forgot that I am already running an external cup with my stock Cane Creek headset. I would also probably not get a full 1 degree of change in head angle if I went with the zero stack. I could move to a 1.5 degree ZS and really lower the head tube, BB and steepen the seat tub all at the same time. This would also shorten my cockpit which is already tight for me being 6'5. All things to think about. Thank you again for your reply.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Bringing this up again. Does anyone know if they provide ZS44/EC49 for tapered fork? I would like to have the stack-height as low as possible.

_____
    Jul 2007
    I'd try posting your question on Works Components' Facebook page. The owner seems pretty responsive to questions posted there. They never responded to emails I sent them from their website.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks SiO2! will do just that. Will see if i can get anything from them there!

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by strandisen View Post
    Bringing this up again. Does anyone know if they provide ZS44/EC49 for tapered fork? I would like to have the stack-height as low as possible.
    I recently emailed that same question to Works when looking for a headset for my hdr build. They told me the ec44/ec49 was the one to use with my hdr frame so that's what I bought. My previous headset was a zs upper/ ec lower king headset. I measured both headsets and the Works lower cup plus race is .5mm taller and the upper works was 7mm taller than the king I used before. This worked out for me since on the king I ran 7mm of spacers under stem, so on the works I have no spacers which leaves me exactly where I was before with stem height. Are you currently running a slammed stem with zs upper?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hi fuenstock!
    I am currently Running with a angleset (that is mor a ec:ec headset). Hopefully works could reduce the stack height. Thought not much. There is not enough space to make a zs for tapered steerer. (At least not for the bottom)
    Thanks for the info! Looks very nice your HDR? Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    I recently emailed that same question to Works when looking for a headset for my hdr build. They told me the ec44/ec49 was the one to use with my hdr frame so that's what I bought.
    Ditto.
    I haven't installed mine yet but that's the configuration I ordered, and have received.
    Any advice on installation? I hear the lower cup can be quite snug.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just to resurrect this thread. Got a second hand mojo hd large with works 1degree angleset ec44/ec49. Unfortunately, my fork is a bit short that only the bottom stem clamp would be able to grip the steerer tube.

With this, i ordered a 2 degree works ec44/zs49 headset. The zs49 is for straight steerer forks thats why i bought it since my fork is still straight. Would this setup be fine? Eill i destroy the natural geometry of the bike? Will the forks shoulder hit downtube when i turn my handlebar?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Sorry hd is XL

Also, would like to know if i can use the existing upper cup with 1degree ofset and use the incoming zs49 that came from a 2 degree works angleset? No stock for the 1degree at the store thats why i was forced to get the 2degree because it has the zs49