mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Convince me on Mojo SL

ok, been drooling for this bike, especially special blend, matte clear.
    I hv never demoed it tho, but just based on reviews and hearing and talking, it is an awesome bike. Ive seen it, touched it, it is just so beautiful.
    An lbs here has a demo (not special blend), but i will feel bad to demo it from them, but buying it online(tax free), its like more than $200.

the only deal breaker for me is bottle cage position. I only bring bottle to my favorite trail all the time.
    Someone please convince me, do it or dont.

or i just get a trek bike.

happy trails.
    inter

mtbr member
    Dude...where to start?
    It's been 27 years since I got my first mountain bike, and since then I've owned a bunch, and worked in the biz for some years so built, spec'd, and rode many others. No bike has elevated my game, or the fun factor, like the Mojo while also being rock solid reliable. It's so tunable and adaptable....from a light long travel xc racer, to all mountain shredder, to 650b all-rounder, it's almost as much fun to tune and customize as it is to ride. Sure, there are more recent designs that beat it in stiffness or travel (Mach 5.7 & HD for example), and some cool 29er's now that aren't land barges and have that rolling momentum edge. But prices are sky high, and so many other bikes are a little to antiseptic... I've ridden a 29er or two that outperformed my Mojo in some ways, but lost some feedback, bounce and fun in the process.... and I'd love to add an HD to the quiver but crap like kid's tuition keeps getting in the way. After all these years, it still has absolutely state of the art suspension dynamics, it's light, durable, easy to work on, super adaptable, 650b compatible, has lively response and fun ride character, is one of the most beautiful bike frame designs ever regardless of type or era, and is sold by a bunch of righteous dudes (& at least one gal) with deep cycling history that will treat you like you're the only customer on the planet if you need something.
    Do it.... you won't regret it.
    And for $200 buy it from your LBS for Christsake, unless they're just total bozos! You're gonna need them one o these days.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    You can get the Nalgene ATB bottle to shield the spout from horse crap.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'm in Austin, so the temps here make a Camelback mandatory for 95% of riding.

As for the bike itself, easily the best money I've spent in this sport.

For the price, the Special Blend is in a category of its own. I'm still shocked at the price.

Amazing.

MTBR Member since 2001...
    +1 on hydration packs. I don't bother with bottle cages. Use the mount screws for frame protection.
    '11 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    '08 GT Force 3
    Giant
    Moto
    Trek
    Others

mtbr member
    It would be nice to have a reachable bottle, but I forgot that complaint long ago and just wear the pack. I've started carrying a tube & tools in a bottle style tool carrier down there which is kinda nice.....off of your back, low on the bike, and easier to access quickly than they are in the Hydration pack.

[put something cool here]
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    I've started carrying a tube & tools in a bottle style tool carrier down there which is kinda nice.....off of your back, low on the bike, and easier to access quickly than they are in the Hydration pack.
    I like that idea! Do you use a regular 0.5l bottle or is that a specific box (like this one)? I would like to keep that as flat attached to the frame as possible. Pictures available? Thanks!
    Last edited by Kerberos; 11-12-2012 at 03:16 AM.

mtbr member
    No, a regular bottle pinches down too small at the neck. I haven't found the perfect tool bottle / cage combo yet. I'm using one by Pro Components now, which is a little small and the lid doesn't attach very solidly. It just barely holds a 26" tube, multi-tool, and a few odds and ends like some duct tape, valve adapter, etc. Tacx makes a bigger & better built one, but it may take a little searching for the best cage to match it. I'm using the cheaper nylon version of Specialized composite bottle cage... I think a little heat shrink tubing in a couple spots on it would give it a more secure fit with the small Pro bottle. Search "tacx tool tube". I'll post a pic from my laptop at home later.

Dropshot Champ!
    if you're only bringing one bottle to the trail, toss it in your back jersey pocket.

I've been doing that lately when racing the mojo for gravity stuff. You get thirsty on the climbs but a full pack is too much.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for the input.
    I finally pulled the trigger on special blend, without ever demo it. The look is the main attraction for me, and its performance, i just trust all of you for the great feedback of this bike.
    So excited now....just feel like a kid again.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm from the UK, and I have been around Mountain Bikes for about 10 years now and have since been searching for the perfect bike. Since that time I have had about 15 bikes, and with the Mojo's I feel like I have found the Holy Grail!
    I also ride with a bottle, but I wear mine on a belt, and on the underside of my frame is my tool kit. It has been trial and error in finding the perfect sized water bottle to fit in there, but they do exist! On longer rides, and in hot weather I tend to take a Camelbak, but I always think it tastes like you are drinking out of a Camels rectum.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by maybe View Post
    I'm from the UK, and I have been around Mountain Bikes for about 10 years now and have since been searching for the perfect bike. Since that time I have had about 15 bikes, and with the Mojo's I feel like I have found the Holy Grail!
    I also ride with a bottle, but I wear mine on a belt, and on the underside of my frame is my tool kit. It has been trial and error in finding the perfect sized water bottle to fit in there, but they do exist! On longer rides, and in hot weather I tend to take a Camelbak, but I always think it tastes like you are drinking out of a Camels rectum.
    HAHA
    "Camelsbak-side"

May be time to OxyClean that sucker!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    +2 on the Nalgene ATB bottle, it works great!
    Ease & Flow Where Ever I Go