Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Converting XTR front shifter to dropper lever Graves style

So i've been running 1x10 for 2 years now and my collection of front shifters is well, just collecting dust. And after seeing Jared Graves setup on his bike, I was inspired.

I use the KS Lev on my Mojo HD, I love it. The switch/lever though I do not. I crashed riding my moto years ago and broke my left thumb into the 2nd joint, so I have limited angles to comfortably deal within.

I first removed the cap/body, and then used a dremel to remove the top ( only the top ) of the rivet which serves as the fulcrum/pivot for the key which is spring loaded and pushes the key into notches in the main body driven by the large shift lever. Once the rivet's head was ground off, I pryed up the plate, removed the spring, and key and put everything back together. I dremel'd off the secondary short lever as I wasn't willing to remove the main central rivet/assembly that everything revolves around. Another nice attribute, is the fact that it has a barrel adjuster with decent range on it.

I put it back together, and the xtr large lever throw matches the KS Lev dead on. The lever provides a lot more leverage and it is so smooth. I can't believe I haven't done this earlier.. it is sooo much more comfortable... anyways, attached are a few shots.

Converting XTR front shifter to dropper lever Graves style-img_0810.jpgConverting XTR front shifter to dropper lever Graves style-img_0813.jpgConverting XTR front shifter to dropper lever Graves style-img_0817.jpgConverting XTR front shifter to dropper lever Graves style-img_0818.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Great write up. I've been running a gutted x9 front shifter to activate my Thomson post. It works a treat.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Nice, I have a used XO front 2 speed shifter. I took it apart, and I think it is probably easier to convert than the xtr was, but everything else is xtr on the bike so I had to... : )

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Sounds like SRAM is easier but I'd do the same as you if it was a shimano build.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    For anybody with the KS seat posts , they have introduced the SouthPaw to serve the same purpose as above.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Does anybody have a link to a detailed description of how to do this with a SRAM shifter?

mtbr member
    I was able to do this mod on an old X7 2x10 shifter. I pulled off the upper housing and then carefully ground off the ratchet tooth with a dremel. Reassembled. Works like a charm.

mtbr member
    Awesome. Good description of process, but I still wish there was a video...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Hmm, I may give this a shot. I agree, some pictures/video would be awesome if anyone's got them!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Any reason an SLX shifter wouldn't work for this? I haven't pulled one apart before, but would imagine it's pretty similar to an XT/XTR just different materials.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    SLX should work as well... I would imagine almost any shifter could be converted if its cable throw is in the ball park.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Has anyone done a pic by pic how to?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I forgot to take pics, but I followed this "guide" and it's working great. It was a bit tricky to reassemble because of a couple springs that need to be tensioned, but pretty straight forward process.

mtbr member
    So, I'm trying to do this with an old M660 but I think I may have exploding the piece too much. I can't seem to find a diagram to put it all together and I was hoping someone in this thread might be able to direct me to the correct place.

I also have an old XT shifter I can use but I don't want to destroy it without seeing how a few took theirs apart step by step.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

props

Quote Originally Posted by da peach View Post
    the shifter idea is cool...I like it.
    but Da Peach deserves some props for that epic python video!

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    hey rodeoj, when you made the switch from KS lever to XTR shifter, did you have to use a new cable or did the old one work?

also, is the new lever-feel very light? I kind of like the firm feedback of the stubby KS lever, though I basically hate the ergonomics & placement.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chris.george View Post
    So, I'm trying to do this with an old M660 but I think I may have exploding the piece too much. I can't seem to find a diagram to put it all together and I was hoping someone in this thread might be able to direct me to the correct place.

I also have an old XT shifter I can use but I don't want to destroy it without seeing how a few took theirs apart step by step.
    If you remove the cover off the XT, you should be able to see how it all fits back together. I made the mistake of starting the project without enough time to finish and had to wait a day to put it all back together. In that time, I had forgotten how it all fit and spent a lot of time on day 2 trying to find the proper order. The guys are all about the same, so just pop the cover off your "spare" and give it a look.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by mayonays View Post
    If you remove the cover off the XT, you should be able to see how it all fits back together. I made the mistake of starting the project without enough time to finish and had to wait a day to put it all back together. In that time, I had forgotten how it all fit and spent a lot of time on day 2 trying to find the proper order. The guys are all about the same, so just pop the cover off your "spare" and give it a look.
    Thanks for getting back to me. I ruined a few trying to figure out how to get a few clips off, didn't even come close.

No big deal, I learned some of the mechanics at least and they were just sitting in my spare parts bucket.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Sorry for cross-posting, trying to do a similar mod, cannot figure out how to disassemble my XT shifter. Took off the cover, but what is next? Thanks!Converting XTR front shifter to dropper lever Graves style-img_20140923_211504.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

We the people ... X9 and KS LEV

Just did this with an X9 shifter. Took it apart too far and spent an hour trying to figure it all out. Ended up having to wiggle the ratchet ring out and it works like a charm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vtje View Post
    Sorry for cross-posting, trying to do a similar mod, cannot figure out how to disassemble my XT shifter. Took off the cover, but what is next? Thanks!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140923_211504.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	926095

I have the same issue...didn't want to butcher it before asking questions. I'm using an XTR lever, and I bet it's similar construction.

BTW, I did find this article which gives a bit more detail of the overall process. And this video shows how to remove the opposite cover. It's just hard to figure out how the actuator mechanism comes apart.
    Last edited by Simplemind; 11-07-2014 at 02:59 AM.
    SB5 stock w/ENVE option
    SB95c XTR/ENVE

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have a LEV and wired up my XTR shifter w/o modding it. It works flawlessly with very light actuation. That being said, the LEV seems to have the shortest lever throw of any dropper I've dealt with.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mark 73 View Post
    I have a LEV and wired up my XTR shifter w/o modding it. It works flawlessly with very light actuation. That being said, the LEV seems to have the shortest lever throw of any dropper I've dealt with.
    Interesting...how do you prevent ratcheting? These levers either have a 2 or 3 position ratchet and the only way to release it from position 2 or 3 is to use the release lever.
    SB5 stock w/ENVE option
    SB95c XTR/ENVE

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The post releases before the ratchet engages. Cable tension is critical but the inline adjuster helps with fine tuning. I set the initial tension to where the post won't lock and then backed it off slightly. If the lever is accidentally pushed too far (not really an issue after minimal seat time with it) its just a matter of pulling the release trigger. KS and Specialized now both offer under the bar shifter style levers which are lighter and purpose built. I already had the lever laying around so I just used it instead.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast