Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Conversion kit to 650b for mojo

Some years ago Derby wrote about this opportunity but Ibis concluded that it was impossible.
    Now in this "new 650b's era" why Ibis don't think about to make a conversion kit to increase the rear clearance space allowing all of us happy....like intense owners?

More tire clearance, no problems with seat tube/suspension.....maybe at least 80% (or more) of mojo/mojoSl/mojosl-r/HD1-2/HD140 will be converted....

Indeed the mojo is still the most "sexy" bike even designed.

A mojo's fan...Ernesto

mtbr member
    I'm hoping they will release a 650b rear end, to fit the Mojo

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Not completely related, but I did send Ibis an email a week ago asking if they had considered a 650b build kit for the HD 140. Scot said they had considered it, but for now decided against it. He also mention that they have a lot in the pipeline, so who knows what we'll see in the next few months.

mtbr member
    May 2008

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    thanks!
    Why don't we make a list of people who would consider to buy a conversion kit for the mojo (all models) to send to Ibis guys to help them to decide!
    1. edibetta from Italy

cheers
    Ernesto

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have been running 650b front and rear on my Mojo SL for over two years. It's awesome, but I would apreciate more clearance, so if there would be a roomier rear triangle I would be up for it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    -edibetta
    -lml427

Too Much Fun

Good job! A conversion kit would be great...

Quote Originally Posted by lml427 View Post
    I have been running 650b front and rear on my Mojo SL for over two years. It's awesome, but I would apreciate more clearance, so if there would be a roomier rear triangle I would be up for it.
    I'm quite stoked Ibis has certified the HD 140 for 650b, but I'm definitely concerned about clearance for a decent sized tire (Nobby Nic is my current fave 26" tire) and would be incredibly psyched for Ibis to offer a new 650b rear with a bit more clearance (another few mm?), especially for HD 160 owners.

Seems doable.

Ibis listens to their customers better then 99% of the companies out there, let them know what you want!
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Third season now on my Mojo HD so I'm ready for a new whip.

I'll throw down TOMORROW on a specific 650b designed Mojo HD(I think conversions will be a compromise) with:
    - 150mm travel
    - slightly shorter seat tube
    - routing for a Stealth dropper
    - preferably cables running under top tube
    - downtube and chain stay protector as nice as the Yetis

www.derbyrims.com

Convertible drop-outs

Convertible drop-outs, like Intense has done for the Carbine, to optimize the same frame and swingarm for 160mm travel using either 26" or 650b wheels.

This would also enable further options for higher or lower BB heights for either size wheel, in the same frame and swingarm.

The 650b HD140 already has perfectly optimized geometry now, ideal unweighted BB height at 13.7" and unweighted frame angles 68'/71.5' for heavy duty trail use.

But the HD160 with 650b mounted needs modifications, (easily shimmed shorter shock travel) to clear the seat tube, and lower the BB (aftermarket available offset shock mount bushings), limiting travel to only 152mm (6").

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm in. Tire clearance now that we are getting some larger rear rubber options (I want to run Hans Dampfs and Ardents) is my concern in converting
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    i actually like higher BB on HD160 i barely get any pedal strikes now, but add me to the list for more rear clearance.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    +1 for more rear clearance w/ 650b... Derby hit the nail on the head--- convertible rear drop outs..
    My free racing tv guide-- www.racingtvguide.com

Rides a Bike

Yes.

I'd be up for 650B on my SL-R
    Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    Protect your plaything!
    www.frameskin.com
    Supporting Kowalski Brothers Trailworks

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by slideways666 View Post
    +1 for more rear clearance w/ 650b... Derby hit the nail on the head--- convertible rear drop outs..
    Would that actually be doable with the current-gen HD (142x12) ?

Don't have my bike in front of me.... But seems like it would work. How much would they be offset?
    Last edited by benja55; 09-06-2012 at 10:52 AM.
    - -benja- -

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    I'm in. Tire clearance now that we are getting some larger rear rubber options (I want to run Hans Dampfs and Ardents) is my concern in converting
    That's my issue as well. I'd like to run NN's and Hans too.
    - -benja- -

Too Much Fun

Bonking ... not feelin' well Here's a look at how Intense is doing their conversion...

Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    Convertible drop-outs, like Intense has done for the Carbine, to optimize the same frame and swingarm for 160mm travel using either 26" or 650b wheels.
    The Intense dropouts are a lot easier to swap out it looks like, in part because the whole thing is modular.

So for the HD we're really talking a new rear triangle when we mean "conversion".

Just to be clear. Or am I missing something?
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'd be in for a HD 650B rear triangle that would give more tire clearance...whether that means an adjustable drop out design or not.

screamer
    Count me in. I'm holding out upgrading my (650B converted) Mojo to see what the market comes up with over the next year or so, and this would seal the deal for me. The HD is already one of the most (if not THE most) versatile bikes out there, and this would just make it more so. Could see arguments for adopting this for either/both HD or SL-R. Will defer to the Ibis wizards, and same goes for dropouts vs. swingarm swaps.
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    I've said it before and I'll say it again.....
    Count me in.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I keep updating:
    - edibetta
    - lml427
    - robnow
    -derby
    -seleniak
    -brankulo
    -slideways666
    -fishboy2807
    -benja55
    -Makoto
    -budgie
    -doismellbacon

more people more possibility...... within 2-3 days I'll try to send to Scott an email adding the list in the Italian forum where others riders will be happy to switch to 650b....with enough rear clearance.

PS: During Eurobike in Fradrishaffen (Germany) ibis presented as news only an HD with both wheel 650b....waitng for the Ripley and maybe the KIT!

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Add me to the list. I would be all over that like stink on a monkey.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    The Intense dropouts are a lot easier to swap out it looks like, in part because the whole thing is modular.

So for the HD we're really talking a new rear triangle when we mean "conversion".

Just to be clear. Or am I missing something?
    Yes, Ibis would have to alter the existing swingarm cf molds and jigs to bond modular drop-out mounts, instead of the current fixed geometry drop-outs. The brake mount needs to be included in the left side modular drop-out to be concentric.

Colin is an excellent engineer, he'd have no problem with designing such a minor alteration.

Modular drop-outs could add up to an ounce of weight having the added small bolts. Although I'm confident Colin could limit the difference to much less. An ounce difference is nothing for the HD, the frame weights probably vary that much already, but weight weenies buying a new SL or SL-R and Tranny might have a psychosis about any added weight. Some of the old swingarm molds could be kept unchanged for those who want to stay with 26" wheel fixed drop-outs, for the lightest potential bike build.

screamer
    Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    Colin is an excellent engineer, he'd have no problem with designing such a minor alteration.
    I'm sure you're right. The issue would be cost of new molds & jigs, whether the potential sales would justify that. It'd be great, but I'm not holding my breath: 650B is still a fringe market, and even if it lives up to the hype it's going to take time to reach mainstream volume. Unfortunately it's going to take more than a handful of us freaks on MTBR...
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by budgie View Post
    I'm sure you're right. The issue would be cost of new molds & jigs, whether the potential sales would justify that. It'd be great, but I'm not holding my breath: 650B is still a fringe market, and even if it lives up to the hype it's going to take time to reach mainstream volume. Unfortunately it's going to take more than a handful of us freaks on MTBR...
    The largest avalanche begins with a single snow flake, Grasshopper.

Seriously, though... I agree with you that it will take a large clamoring market, but I believe that will come with time. However, when that happens they may be inclined to engineer a whole new bike.
    I've also wondered what DW licensing rules might hinder changes to the existing design. Dave's very particular and proud (rightfully) about everything being just so...down to the fraction of a millimeter. Can Ibis change variables of the DW equation like wheel size, CS length, shock stoke, etc., and still apply that little magic decal to the chainstay?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast