mtbr member

Considering some HD upgrades - could use some advice please!

Here's my situation:

I ride a Mojo HD & absolutely love riding this thing in all different types of trails - had it for a couple years & sold all my other bikes after getting the HD - I am riding the hell out of it and wearing out some components pretty good - I'll take it to Tahoe / N*, Downieville, Socal, etc. & of course all the good spots where I live in the Bay Area. I would say most of my riding is AM / XC but with some occasional DHish stuff sprinkled in & I like to get off the ground whenever I can - also do a lot of climbing. I'm getting to the point that I will probably replace / upgrade some stuff fairly soon - drivetrain, derailleurs, & rims (maybe entire wheelset).

Recently I heard Scott Nichol from Ibis speak and he got my attention when he said that he thinks 26 is slowly going to go away and that 27.5 & 29 will battle it out. I've heard others who's opinions I respect make similar statements. I've tried 29ers several times and they don't do it for me - never had the chance to try 27.5.

I am pretty happy with my current setup, but of course have never compared it to what I haven't tried & I'm always curious & have an open mind. I don't mind spending some cash if it's a worthy upgrade as MTBing is my main hobby, but hate wasting on something just because it's in vogue if it doesn't really improve riding experience or performance. Some of this stuff needs to be replaced anyways so I figured this would be a good time to think this through.

I'm curious about 1x10 or 11 to simplify & reduce chain issues (currently 2x10 w/ 38/24 front & 11-36 rear & this give me more than enough range) - I have an XTR shadow+ but still drop my chain way too often so I definitely need to address this.

I'm also curious about carbon rims - I felt a night & day difference when I went to a carbon frame, but am still unsure if it is worth it or even a good idea to upgrade to carbon rims for the type of riding I do - especially considering the cost.

Also curious about 27.5" especially after hearing that some in the industry think that might be the future, but do wonder if 1.5" really does make a difference up or downhill and if it may be too early to jump on the bandwagon.

So I guess I would like to hear more knowledgeable people's opinions / experiences on whether or not they felt any of these upgrades really made a difference or are worth the cash. I know all of this stuff is such a personal preference, but I figured you HD riders could give me some insight & a starting point. Also X-posted this on the Norcal forum.

Thanks for your opinions!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Considering some HD upgrades - could use some advice please!

I have 1x10 with 32 up front & 11/36 outback. I've down most of the trails in Tahoe, Reno, Downieville & OC with this set up. Up front I use the Wolftooth wide/narrow chain & I've got a couple of thousand miles & maybe experienced 3 dropped chain. It i could afford 1x11, I'd do it in a heartbeat as I beat that also would be a game changer.

The biggest & most positive change was switching over to 650b wheels. The neat thing about this change is the bike just about feels the same & to me not that noticeable until I review my Strava (GPS) data & see that I killed all my climbing achievements with ease & my down hills, some have gotten faster some are the same & some are just seconds off. But after a hard days ride, I have way more energy than before.