Thread: Congrats: MBUK

mtbr member

Congratulations: MBUK shootout winner

Possibly old news but it "just" appeared on the IBIS web page: the Mojo wins the shootout against the Intense 5.5 and the single-pivots (TNT) 5-spot (and Rocky Mountain XC). It is decleared "one of the most effortlessly efficient suspension systems on the trails".

No surprise that it beats the TNT 5-spot (that gets, rightly so, put down in respect to the old Horst) ... but it still makes me wander how a well designed Horst (a Titus, peraphs the old 5-spot, a Liteville, one can name a few more from Europe) would compare: is a IBIS or Iron Horse going to be significantly better?

I might have to find out myself!
    Last edited by Davide; 01-11-2007 at 12:30 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Mojo VS 5 Spot

Regarding your question re the Horst 5 Spot comparison to the Mojo, I just sold my Horst Spot to get the Mojo and would rate the Mojo as a better climber and a faster sprinter and about the same on the descents. The Spot feels good and solid but a bit sluggish. Better for harder core hucking perhaps. On my first ride on the Mojo I managed to pinchflat on a easy descent off the Quantocks[UK] which bears testament to the speed I was going as the bike felt so 'right'. Hard to put into words but once you taste it there is no going back.....demo this bike [if you can find one] at your wallets peril!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kidsuma
    Regarding your question re the Horst 5 Spot comparison to the Mojo, I just sold my Horst Spot to get the Mojo and would rate the Mojo as a better climber and a faster sprinter and about the same on the descents. The Spot feels good and solid but a bit sluggish. Better for harder core hucking perhaps. On my first ride on the Mojo I managed to pinchflat on a easy descent off the Quantocks[UK] which bears testament to the speed I was going as the bike felt so 'right'. Hard to put into words but once you taste it there is no going back.....demo this bike [if you can find one] at your wallets peril!
    That is indeed my main problem with the Horst 5-spot I own: it is a bit sluggish in general, you need to be quite careful when you stand, and, I may add, it is not so good when it comes to slow speed bump compliance (well ... that is a problem with the platform shock, but you need one to go up with some efficiency), and square bumps. I am afraid my wallet will take a beating (unless I get the great looking Iron Horse Mk III 2007 and brake even, that is )
    Last edited by Davide; 01-10-2007 at 09:53 AM.

Trail Rider

Intense Tracer owner

I haven't ridden the Mojo, but I have ridden last years Ironhorse MK III comp and directly compared it to my Tracer. The IH was heavier than my Tracer. The DW linkage feels so fluid when riding. It does have more travel, but the suspension swallows the bumps and still enables good pedaling without any bob. My Tracer did bob in certain situations(seated) and a lot(out of the saddle). I have compared it to the Blur(which I liked). The VPP feels more like a HT in out of saddle sprints compared to both the Tracer and the MK III. Now, I have read about 3 situations with the VPP suspension bikes that are supposed to occur. Pedal feedback(I haven't felt it), less active suspension when braking(I agree), and less than optimum rear tire hook up in loose technical climbs(I didn't experience it, but many others have).

The Ironhorse outperformed my Tracer. It was as active when braking, better climbing loose technical stuff, and no pedal feedback. The whole bike's suspension felt better than my Tracer. You feel the bumps and ledges on the Horst bike, but the VPP and the DW bikes swallow the bumps and don't interfere with pedal performance. The VPP had a more athletic feel to it. On the whole, I liked the IH better. I sit more while climbing, and that might be why. The 07 MK III is now about as light as my Tracer 6.2/6.0(Tracer) lb. The Ibis is even lighter. I'm down to 3 frames as a replacement for my Tracer. IH MK III, Intense 5.5 FRO, and the Mojo. I'm a little apprehensive about carbon fiber. I can get a good deal on the Intense trade in program. The IH doesn't look as bling as the other two, but performs great. I'll spend more time on both my buddies IH and Blur before making my decision. I think 5.5. in. travel is the ultimate trail bike travel for my type of riding.
    [size=4]Don[/size]