mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Coming out from lurking. . .

Short story: Stopped biking 6 years ago with the birth of my first lil one. Kids are older now, and I thought I'd get re-engaged in it. Dusted off the old hardtail and proceeded to hit the most technical local trail (City Park). Wow, I now realize how much I left on the table with giving up cycling.

I used to race (did the 24 Hrs of Canaan and raced the Maryland point series) back in the 96 time frame, and after that road 3x-4x per week up until 2001. I rode only hardtails, mainly a Trek OCLV hardtail and a Specialized M2 S-Works hardtail. Both bikes way light, stiff, and agile. Loved the OCLV carbon firber bike except for constant chainsuck.

Now, I'm older, won't race, way slower, and need to get back in shape. Frankly, I'm quite interested in the Ells Truth and Epiphany, but loved the way my old CF Trek felt. Something 'alive' about that bike and loved the CF natural damping properties of high frequencies. I was hell bent on the Ells bikes due to recommendations of local guys, but my searching has also led me to the Mojo. I'm pretty much down to the Epiphany, the Mojo, and the Maverick.

The Epi appears to be an optimized 4 bar and is nearly the best of breed of this suspension type, and is quite active, which I like. The Mav I like as well, but am concerned about a 'strut' rear suspension where the strut gets a lot of sideways loading form chain forces (would seem to bind the rear shock).

Does the Mojo really live up to the hype? Does it match the small bump compliance of a 4 bar such as the Ells bikes? I'm not sure of the constant chainsuck I battled with the OCLV bike was from flex or chainline. . . any chainsuck problems with the Mojo (I see there's an anti-CS plate on the Mojo)? Any other input?

The trails I ride don't have epic climbs and descents, but they are brutal, rocky and technical.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well I have owned a 5 Spot and currently ride a Maverick 7.5 and a Mojo. I have no experience of Ells, so cant comment. What I would say is the Mojo and Mav are superior to the 4 Bar Spot. The closest ride to the Spot is the Mojo...its plush, tracks and handles like a dream, back wheel sticks there and its improving my riding style. Compared to the Mojo the 7.5 is more like a hard tail...a bit more bouncy on the descents [and exciting because of it] and it also out-climbs the Mojo..just!...the Mojo seems to skid out more especially when standing. The Mav is a firmer ride even when you dial in lots of sag...a bit snappier in acceleration and a touch lighter. It does stiffen up when standing which suits trials style techy riding but not sit down descents. Not experienced any rearstrut side loading problems! I love both suspension designs for their differences and each bike is a work of art. No way would I be able to choose one of them....I really like the contrast as I alternate my ride each day. I have both the bikes set up with DUC's. Mavericks CS is the best! Ibis CS is right there too. I would get a demo on both!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks kidsuma, much appreciated.

mtbr member

No experience with the Mav but

Quote Originally Posted by frayed cable
    The Epi appears to be an optimized 4 bar and is nearly the best of breed of this suspension type, and is quite active, which I like. The Mav I like as well, but am concerned about a 'strut' rear suspension where the strut gets a lot of sideways loading form chain forces (would seem to bind the rear shock).

Does the Mojo really live up to the hype? Does it match the small bump compliance of a 4 bar such as the Ells bikes? I'm not sure of the constant chainsuck I battled with the OCLV bike was from flex or chainline. . . any chainsuck problems with the Mojo (I see there's an anti-CS plate on the Mojo)? Any other input?

The trails I ride don't have epic climbs and descents, but they are brutal, rocky and technical.
    I never tried the Mav but I owned a Horst 5-spot for 3 years (somewhat comparable to the Epi) and I just bought the Mojo. Does it lives up to the hype? Yes. It feels more stable and descends better especially over steps and roots: it is an excellent rough terrain downhill bike! But ... it also climbs and accellerates great, at the same time being plusher and with better small bump compliance. No chainsuck. Try it to believe and believe me: I am very picky when it comes to bikes!
    Last edited by Davide; 03-20-2007 at 08:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Though I'm a lurker, I thought I'd comment considering that I'm from Austin and I'm in a similar situation. I used to do a lot of Austin riding on an OCLV hardtail then laid off for several years. Starting back, I first tried a Moots softtail and hated it. I then got an Ells Truth and liked it, though overall I really missed the OCLV. Shortly into it I stopped riding again and had all my bikes stolen.

Recently I decided to replace the stolen Truth, considered a Titus and a Maverick, but settled on the Mojo + DUC32 which I've had for 6-8 weeks now. I'm still dialing it in but I'm thrilled with the bike and consider the Truth to pale in comparison. In spite of what Ells says, I always considered the Truth to sap my energy compared to my old hardtail. The Mojo feels far more responsive and efficient in spite of its greater travel and slacker angles. I no longer miss my OCLV. :-)

Curiously, my Truth and my Mojo came out to nearly identical weights...about 24 pounds plus pedals. It's amazing to me that a 6"/5.5" bike can be built to such a weight without resorting to trickery. I totally love my Mojo and believe the DUC32 is also a great choice though I'm going to rebuild it to suit my weight.