Thread: Coils for HD

mtbr member

Coils for HD

Im planning on building up and HD in the near future. Coming of an SL that I have started to push to its limits on jumps and drops.

My riding is AM/trail in New England so it a lot of short rolling very rocky rooty terrain no huge sections of vert.

I am think CCDB or Xfusion matched with Lyrik Coil. But would welcome any thoughts or experiences on other shocks/forks.

www.derbyrims.com
    If you are new to coil suspension, I'd suggest starting with coil shock that is not very complicated in tuning. Such as the Rockshox Vivid R2C or Fox Vanilla RC or X-Fusion Vector RC.

The HD140 and HD160 works great with any of these shocks. The X-Fusion damping is a big step better than the Fox or RS.

The air assist volume adjust of the higher end coil shocks from Fox DHX RC4 and X-Fusion Vector HLR are bottom travel and compression rate tuning aids. In my experience the air assist external adjustable feature is not needed for trail use when using the Ibis recommended shock sizes for both the HD 140 and HD160; however, these two high end shocks would make a good choice to be able to adjust during a ride if carrying an air pump from trail and AM type riding to FR type big jump and stunts needing more bottom travel resistance. Again, from my experience, the X-Fusion having the better damping and adjustment range.

If going with the Lyrik coil then the RS or Fox coil shocks is a good balance in damping quality. If going with X-Fusion coil shock with the HD160, the Vengeance fork with travel set to 160mm travel has better damping and flex stiffness than a Lyrik coil.

I think the CCDB could work well too, I have only demoed one on another bike. But but is harder to tune than an RC type shock, and you must carry tools and stop to make adjustments during a ride. The X-Fusion Vengeance would also better match the higher quality damping of the CCDB than the Lyrik damping.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Personally, I've always felt the RS air forks are better than their coil forks even in the Lyric, Totem, and Boxxer. The springs are just too big of steps so you can't fine tune them. If you have the right spring for your weight and riding style, it's great. If not, the next size up or down may be more than you want. Air pressure can be adjusted 1psi at a time.

mtbr member
    I ride a coil on the HD like Derby.

I feel that the two best coils on the HD would be the X-Fusion or the CCDB.

I personally ride the CCDB and I love it. I ride a mix of tough XC trails (20-30 miles with 4-5k worth of climbing in a day) or I ride things like DH and AM quite often. Every now and then I run endurance races (70-100 miles) and it works great there too! I wanted a shock that would work in every situation and the CCDB works out great. It is true that you have to carry an extra tool on the CCDB if you want to tune trailside but realistically a 10mm wrench weighs almost nothing and just toss in it the pack and you're good to go.

I do very little trailside tuning personally, I have the DB set up just about perfectly after talking to Cane Creek and Ibis at first and then just basically tuning it during initial rides. Now it has a great pedaling performance, amazing downhill performance, great climbing performance and jumps are a blast.

I would like to eventually lighten up the HD and get it down to around 28ish pounds but that's just not a real concern at this time. I may end up getting a Ti coil because I don't feel that any of the current air offerings can match the quality of ride that the CCDB provides at this time.