Thread: Which coil

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Which coil

The more research I do the more confused I am about which shock to get. I want to go coil. I bottom out my RP23 quite often. I've read good things about the CCDB coil. Ibis recommends the Fox DHX RC4 and have recently read about the Vivid RC2.

I'm trying to build my bike into a freeride/DH bike. I've ordered an Angleset and now looking for a coil shock. The HD is the 160mm travel set up. I weight 230 with all my gear sometimes more.

Although price is not an issue, I can save $100 bucks by going from the CCDB to the RC4. The vivid is even cheaper.

Any suggestions?

Rb
    wrenchscience.com
    I have been riding the RC4 on my HD for the past 2 seasons.
    It's been through hundreds of runs down the mountain in the Whistler Bike Park...

Couldn't imagine running a different shock, to be honest. It's very, VERY good. I have a good friend who weighs 225 and rides with the RC4 as well on his HD -- he's equally as impressed.

Cannot comment about those other 2 as I've never ridden them on an HD, but you won't be unhappy with an RC4.
    :: wrenchscience ::

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Vivid RC2 stock is very good and excellent value. I have swapped to a Marzocchi TST air and it is just as good on the trails I ride (not as long descents as whistler). If you want an RC2 thats 6 months old make me an offer for mine, has HD frame reducers but no spring.
    I have heard loads of great things about the RC4 but they are very expensive here

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    nzl26 - PM Sent.

aka dan51
    xfusion vector!
    I had my vector off the bike for a bit and put on the old Rp23 and and then my vivid coil MX tune from PUSH. Vector RC blows them both away.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

www.derbyrims.com
    I'm very pleased with the X-Fusion Vector HLR coil. What a huge difference over a custom tuned Fox coil during my last week's vacation, riding around Moab and Gooseberry Mesa.

I've tried many in 10+ years of coil shocks on all my bikes for trail/AM use, only the CCDB comes close in quality, but it is not as adjustable as the Vector HLR, and the Vector is much lighter.

For someone new to using coil, the Vector RC would be plenty, and save $100. They also do a Vector custom DWL tune for the HD, $50 extra.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Another vote for X-Fusion. I have both the vector coil and vector air. If I was going to be doing mostly downhill the coil is sweet. For me, riding more all mountain and XC the Air is completely awesome. I'll never put that RP23 back on my bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Where did you all get the Vector HLR from? Where can I get the best prices?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I got mine from my LBS in San Jose, CA.

aka dan51
    I called xfusion direct and ordered mine. At that point you can talk to the guys directly and make sure to get the right thing.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    So far I have 7 months on a Vivid R2C M/M withou any issues. It's much better than the original rp23.

I was deciding between vivid and vector and went with Vivid because of my local X-fusion dealer incompetence. After all the raving posts about vector I'm starting to regret my decision