mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Clicking sound from stem or headset?

I've noticed a clicking sound on my Ripley when I stand up and power down on the pedals. It sounds like it is coming from the stem/headset area. It was doing this before I removed the stem and forks (to fit the steerer protector from Ibis) and after reassembly it is still doing it. I'm new to the whole threadless steerer thing (having just retired my 92 Merlin ). One thing I am curious of: Should there be grease between the stem and steerer? I can't help but thing aluminium on aluminium is just asking to creak/click. If not, can anyone suggest what to look at first?

mtbr member
    A light coat of grease or anti-seize between the stem and steerer is advisable, but it shouldn't click dry either.

1) Make sure your headset preload is correct: the steerer top cap screw should be tightened enough to remove slack, but not so much that steering binds. This is done prior to tightening the stem clamp on the steerer.
    2) Make sure your stem bolts are at the correct torque on the steerer and bar clamp.

I had a clicking sound when mashing because I had a 25.4" bar attached to a 26 mm road type stem. I fixed it by shimming with a piece of a beer can.

mtbr member
    what fork are you running?
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    what fork are you running?
    It is the stock Fox 32 CTD.

mtbr member
    some fox forks have had clicking creaking problem at crown to tube connection i believe. you might want to check with fox.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks, I'll check these things out. If it is indeed the fork, specifically the crown/steerer, that kind of sucks.

Eld
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Try another stem, if you don't have one lying around, try borrow from someone. The stems Ibis put on their bikes are a bit flimsy IMHO (same goes for many other brands).

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Well, after checking things out tonight, it is certainly pointing towards the forks. Indeed, Fox forks are known to potentially "click or creak". And a number of people have had multiple warranty returns.
    It seems a fix is to apply wicking Loctite around the stanchion/crown junction, and steer/crown junction.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for the tip brankulo. After doing a bunch of reading, and talking to my dealer (who said I would have at least a two week wait for a warranty claim on my forks), I applied Loctite to the stanchion and steerer junction. This so far, appears to have cured the creak.