Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Chris King BB now available in BB92

Might be old news to some, but it looks like the BB92 version of the new Chris King bottom brackets are available.

I'll be ordering one for the Ripley

Universal Cycles -- Chris King Press Fit 24 Ceramic Bottom Bracket

Unpredictable
    I was not aware so thanks. Price is a bit ouch, but the product should be good

MSH
    mtbr member
    Nice! Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely be swapping out the Sram BB for the CK. Looks like for those using Sram GXP cranks that you'll need the Conversion Kit #6 in addition to the BB....
    Universal Cycles -- Chris King BB Conversion Kit #6

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Correct. I already have a conversion kit from my threaded King BB. Same parts in case you already have them.

Living the Dream
    Is this the right kit for xx1 cranks?
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    since the SRAM is $50 "around", it would be hard to justify the $250 total expense for this plus the GXP adapter. I already have the "injection tool" that helps these last for years, but thats still 5 years of a new SRAM BB every year before one breaks even.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    IME, the Sram one, while it does not last as long, spins way better. The GXP conversion for the CK it's not the best approach. It rarely has a good fit, meaning, you either get a bit of play or drag. Now the CK BB for Shimano/FSA/Race Face applications it's the way to go! Thou the Race Face BB seems solid and it's also serviceable.. and cheaper...
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Visceral View Post
    since the SRAM is $50 "around", it would be hard to justify the $250 total expense for this plus the GXP adapter. I already have the "injection tool" that helps these last for years, but thats still 5 years of a new SRAM BB every year before one breaks even.
    The ceramic bearing version of the SRAM is around $150.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I've got a traditional (thread in) chris king ceramic with the gxp conversion on my hd and it works great...not had the above-mentioned issue with getting it set up correctly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Sure, but while I can sorta see someone buying a ceramic BB for a road bike that they race, this is for a mountainbike that I don't. I don't even use ceramics for the 'cross bike I race every weekend. Its just too wet and muddy here in the PNW, and you go through BB bearings if you ride a lot year round.

As a basic assumption, at the (approx) 90 rpm that we turn cranks, what sort of watts does a ceramic BB save us? Could it possibly be worth $100?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    "In the December 4, 2006 issue of Velo-News there is a very nice article on page 40 by their technical editor Lennard Zinn. In the article Zinn compiles a chart of test data that compares the rotational resistance of, among others, an FSA Mega EXO steel ball bearing bottom bracket as compared to the same bottom bracket equipped with ceramic bearings.

His test results reveal an end result of .09 (nine one-hundredths) of a watt difference in rotational resistance. For the remaining results see the chart and test protocols on pages 41 and 42 of that issue."

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    On a related note, King BB92 bottom brackets are available in steel bearings for $145 (conversion kits extra $16-22)

Universal Cycles -- Chris King Press Fit 24 Bottom Bracket

Given the ability to flush the bearings and choose your lubricant, this could be certainly worth $160-170

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well, it's time for me to replace my Sram GXP BB and I'm thinking of going CK for my Ripley. I'm hoping a few of you have gone this route and think it's worth the $165. Not sure what the expected mileage is for bottom brackets, but I got a little over a 1,000 miles off my Sram. Thanks in advance for the input.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bassn View Post
    Well, it's time for me to replace my Sram GXP BB and I'm thinking of going CK for my Ripley. I'm hoping a few of you have gone this route and think it's worth the $165. Not sure what the expected mileage is for bottom brackets, but I got a little over a 1,000 miles off my Sram. Thanks in advance for the input.
    I would talk to Ibis before going ahead with this. I wanted to replacd mine as well but I heard from them that they weren't fitting correctly.. At least at the time I emailed them earlier in the year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tonka214 View Post
    I would talk to Ibis before going ahead with this. I wanted to replacd mine as well but I heard from them that they weren't fitting correctly.. At least at the time I emailed them earlier in the year.
    Thank you. I'll contact Ibis and see if this still remains true. My LBS did mention that the CK bottom bracket did fit a little more snug than the Sram...hmmm.

Unpredictable
    I ended up going with a Race Face BB and cranks for my SL-R. I must admit the fear in my gut was that companies all make (great) stuff that doesn't quite match anything as well as their own products. That and I have always had great experiences with Race Face components.

Also, when I buy a frame, stem, bar, crankset, BB or headset, I expect those components to last the life of the bike - 10 years or better. I can handle that tyres and wheels and cables and cogs and other stuff die on the job, but not those essential bits.

mtbr member
    Thank you. I'll contact Ibis and see if this still remains true. My LBS did mention that the CK bottom bracket did fit a little more snug than the Sram...hmmm.
    Interesting. I'm curious if CK recommends greasing the shell or friction paste when pressing the bb into the frame?
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

NCtrailrider
    Jan 2012
    I will be calling Ibis too as I ordered a Ripley in March from Competitive Cyclists and had the CK installed with an XTR crank. I've had no issues to date, but would hate for this to be an issue after the CC exchange policy expires.

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    The ceramic bearing version of the SRAM is around $150.

2 Things

1:Ibis please keeping using std thread ex BB, Ive had this std not a fan at all pia so much I sold that bike for my HD

2: I been running XX1 since end of 2012 on my second winter lots of rain here, my Sram ceramic BB is as good as it was new still smooth as butta.

In fact the only thing Ive replaced on the whole XX1 setup has been the front ring, silent deadly even the chain has not stretched at all.

I wont be buying a King in any std to replace it if it costs more!

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick005 View Post
    2 Things
    1:Ibis please keeping using std thread ex BB, Ive had this std not a fan at all pia so much I sold that bike for my HD
    Yeah, this would be a total deal breaker for me, too. I hate seeing press-fit BBs on $3k frames.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

CK bb's are off spec they do crack BB shells on Ripleys. Ibis recomends not to use them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCtrailrider
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    Might be old news to some, but it looks like the BB92 version of the new Chris King bottom brackets are available.

I'll be ordering one for the Ripley

Universal Cycles -- Chris King Press Fit 24 Ceramic Bottom Bracket
    Have you had any issues with your CK BB on your Ripley since last July? Creaking or otherwise. Recent post mentions possibility of cracking the BB shell.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by edndusty View Post
    Have you had any issues with your CK BB on your Ripley since last July? Creaking or otherwise. Recent post mentions possibility of cracking the BB shell.
    Ibis now puts a warning label inside the bottom bracket of the Ripley to physically measure the CKBB to make sure its in spec. They also list the range it should measure. Also, there are Ibis employees running CKBB's on their Ripley's.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm still looking for an alternative since I'm on my 3rd e13 BB in a year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Quote Originally Posted by tonka214 View Post
    I'm still looking for an alternative since I'm on my 3rd e13 BB in a year.
    I thought my E 13 BB was worn out too and until I understood how you tighten the preload on the bearing. Once I figured that out I realized the bearings were not shot and it's been good for over 2000 miles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast