Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Check out my MOJO 22.68 lbs. of joy

After waiting for months, my Mojo arrived. I have done about 12 hrs. of singletrack and I am amazed. It handles awesome. I came off a Santa Cruz Blur XC. The 5 inches of travel on the Mojo makes a big difference on the downhill. I am faster up and down on this bike. It is a full pound and a half lighter then the Blur. I went with the 07 XTR, Fox X fork and Fox RP23 rear shock. It is perfect. I made a few part changes and to my suprise the Mojo came in at 22.68 lbs. I put on Stan's Olympic disk wheels with Kenda Karma tires, Extralight skewers and a Tune Speedneedle saddle. You are going to fall in love once you get yours.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    WOW!!!

thats pro race bike weight
    Trek T1 . MOJO SL 2011 Fox 32 Talas 1X10 FTW

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    When I weighed it I could not believe it, so I weighed my road bike to make sure the scale was correct. 22.68 is light. I thought it would be around 24.

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That is impressively light, have fun!!

Dave
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    hi Shane,
    Is that weight with pedals? 22.68lbs seems incredible. What size frame? My medium SL build is 26+ lbs, and there are only a few places I could shave some weight!
    Congrats on the new ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Mbexx, Mine is a large and yes, with pedals. Here are some weight differences between mine and yours. My Kenda Karma tires are about 1 lb. lighter then the Kenda Nevegals that come stock. My Tune Speedneedle saddle weighs 108 grams. Your Fizik weighs 250g.( but is WAY more comfortable) If you have XTR wheels and are not running them tubeless, my Stan's Olympic disk wheels are 3/4 of a pound lighter. 1/2 pound lighter if you are tubeless. I use Expedo 220g Ti spindled pedals. XTR are about 1/4 lb. more.. It all adds up.
    Shane

mtbr member
    Holy crap, that makes mine look like a porker @ 28lbs!
    100_1944.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fear No Beer!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

the seatpost clamp

Shane,
    Where'd you find the seatpost clamp? Scot told me it's a 34.9 ID but looking at the seattube top, it has some curves. Most aftermarket clamps are straight around the lower lip. I'm told the non qr clamp is 50 grams lighter than the beautiful and functional and easy to adjust Ibis clamp.

Knomer
    I'm not sure I understand this build.

If you're an xc racer...why the 5.5" travel trail frame?

If you're a trail/enduro/all mountain rider....why the racer boy kit?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    I'm not sure I understand this build.

If you're an xc racer...why the 5.5" travel trail frame?

If you're a trail/enduro/all mountain rider....why the racer boy kit?
    Sounds like the best of both worlds to me

Spotty Fire-jumper
    Is that like a 150mm 0 rise stem with a riser bar?
    'Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.' - Robert Hunter

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    What size frame is that ? How tall are you ? Just wondering. Beautiful bike build.

Too Much Fun

Nice Mojo...

Though some of those parts might be on the "FRO" tip.

In other news, you need a longer stem. That thing is too stubby.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

ritchey

It is a Ritchey 14cm stem. It has some rise to it.

Grams Light Bikes
    Can you supply us with a list of the parts you used for your build, thks.

Thats a pretty sick weight weenie job you did to the bike! Great work

mtbr member
    the stem has some rise, but its upside down .so its negative rise?
    milesW

mtbr member
    hey shane ,see you tonight,maybe we will get snowed on
    milesW

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Beautiful bike, looks like it could be a tad flexy, though, judging from the frame weight,
    carbon fiber, and looking at the linkages. Time will tell. Not trying to burst your bubble,
    though, I'm sure it'll still be a great ride. I've heard nothing but positives about how it rides,
    so enjoy!

Trying a little
    carbon fiber is so 2006

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

Grams Light Bikes
    I have been riding the Ibis Mojo since mid July last year and it is not in the least bit flexy. Now I can't comment on how this 22.68 lb bike feels since mine was more like 25 lbs. The linkages are no more flexy then any other full suspension bike that I have ridden such as the Stumpjumper, Spot 5, etc. It has a very silky and smooth feel to me compared to Aluminum, but thats my opinion.

I have ridden a very light hard tail for many years and you can get bounced around a tad more (very slight) then a heavier one but it sure climbs and does technical moves better.

I have ridden steel, aluminum, titanium, carbon fiber and a carbon fiber with titanium and I have to say I like the feel of carbon, it just has the feel of a fine surgeon, slice and dice, now the best frameset was the combo of carbon fiber with titanium, but that was one pricey frame in its day.

flow where ever you go

dispelling myths

Quote Originally Posted by le_buzz
    Beautiful bike, looks like it could be a tad flexy, though, judging from the frame weight,
    carbon fiber, and looking at the linkages. Time will tell. Not trying to burst your bubble,
    though, I'm sure it'll still be a great ride. I've heard nothing but positives about how it rides,
    so enjoy!
    You remind me of a guy on the trail who saw the Mojo and said, "Nice bike, but I heard you can't replace the linkages in that thing". That is only true if you don't have $20 and a couple of allen wrenches. In other words, he was perpetrating a myth.

I'm thinking you are perpetrating a myth of carbon being "flexy"?!? (I just responded to your flexy assertions in another thread: ellsworth epiphany vs ibis mojo)

Sure carbon fiber can be flexy, but it does not have to be. Some bike frames (as well as some crank sets and handlebars) are flexy, but that is true regardless of material.

There is little or no flex in many carbon frames and components, and not in the Mojo. Not in the carbon, not in the linkages. At least none that I've felt, seen, or heard of.

To ride (really) is to believe. There's got to be at least one Mojo in Arizona. I hope you get a chance for a ride.

For more information on using carbon for bike frames:
    http://www.ibiscycles.com/tech/technology/
    http://www.ibiscycles.com/tech/durability/
    Last edited by noshortcuts; 03-01-2007 at 08:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Here you go

The only things I changed from stock are:
    Skewers--Extralight brand
    Wheels- Stan's Olympic disk
    Pedals- Xpedo Ti
    Saddle- Tune Speedneedle
    Tires- Kenda Karma

I paid a little extra for a Fox 130mm X, which is heaver then the RLC

mtbr member

Carbon is really the stiffest ...

Quote Originally Posted by le_buzz
    so enjoy!
    I am not sure where you get the idea that carbon is not stiff: gram by gram it is by far one of the stiffest materials you can build stuff with. To give you a ballpark idea at 1/5 the weight it is as stiff as steel. It is not by chance that it has substituted metals in a huge variety of applications ... think that all Formula One cars chassis are made of carbon composite and these are babies that go up to 220-240 miles/hour and corner in eccess of 4.5 G accelleration

And in practise: the Mojo is Stiff, I am coming off an aluminum bike (Turner 5-spot) and the Mojo feels easily as stiff, if not stiffer: it is hard to quantify "stiffness" on the trail but the Mojo just knifes through obstacles no hint of deflection of any sort either when you go fast down or climbing up some technical rocky path.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Carbon Longevity

I have ordered an ibis mojo and it should have been here a few days ago. Still waiting. One of the reasons I choose a CF bike over an aluminium one is that I have broken a number of aluminium frames. Recently after quitting my job I converted my commuter bike to an SS. It is a giant cadex 1 which is about 12 years old, my first mtb. This bike is cf and even has scratch marks on the top tube from the brake levers scraping when I stack(riser bars fixed this). While I was commuting this bike would do 10000 km a year and for a couple of years it did 20000 km a year. Now that it is an SS I ride over most of the same terrain that I do on my giant VT-2 including gully jumps, 4 foot drop offs, unplanned drops from 2-3 foot balance beams and 3-6 foot rythm sections(which I have f!@#ed up and stacked) and the bike just keeps going.

So there you have it a very old CF bike. It has Cf tubes glued into aluminium lugs and the rear triangle is kevlar. Also even as an SS it weighs more than the lightest mojo in the build forums.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The only difference between any build on the Mojo that contributes to flex would be the wheelset. Some light wheelsets are more flexy than other heavier wheelsets. Otherwise all the builds should be equally stiff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast