mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Chainsuck sucks!

I really don't know what I can do about my chainsuck issue but I'm getting an awful lot of chainsuck. I was told that maybe my chainring, cassetter or my chain need to be replaced and after I replaced all of them, I'm still getting a lot of chainsuck. I'm getting in the average of 3-4 chainsuck on 7-13 miles rides.

Thank you for listening.

Other than my chainsuck problem. The Mojo is

It's the axle
    Here's what I did. And I haven't had a single occurrence since.

Deflate the shock and completely depress the suspension. (This is critical. You absolutely don't want the chain to be too short for maximum travel. And in fact, I'm not sure if max travel is the longest chain distance. You might want to examine that. But I think it is. And if it isn't, it's not off by much.) Remove as many links as you can and still have the derailleur functional. I have a medium frame, and including the master link, I have 110 links. That's a little over 55 inches, if you measure the chain. And I might add that, under this condition, even in the big-big ratio, the chain won't be too short. Although, I make certain I'm in the big and second largest cog before ripping a descent. (Which I might add I just did this afternoon. MOJO!)

Second, only shift into a lower gear when the chain is on the large cog on the freewheel.

I also cranked the B adjuster about as far as it will go.

The theory is that it's chain tension that keeps the chain from sucking.

That solved it for me.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by houseofmusic
    I really don't know what I can do about my chainsuck issue but I'm getting an awful lot of chainsuck. I was told that maybe my chainring, cassetter or my chain need to be replaced and after I replaced all of them, I'm still getting a lot of chainsuck. I'm getting in the average of 3-4 chainsuck on 7-13 miles rides.

Thank you for listening.

Sorry to hear. It can happen on any bike. It's not a special problem with the Mojo.

I have had no unusual chain suck problems in almost a year on my Mojo with FSA rings, Sram and Shimano cogs.

Try searching the "Everything Drivetrain" forum. I'm sure there's lots of advice.

#1: Use high quality bicycle chain lube and be sure to lube and wipe off your chain after every ride, so it's ready for the next ride (or at least before riding). Carry some chain lube in a small bottle in your backpack. I like Pedro's Ice Wax for dry conditions and Dumond Tech "dark" for wet conditions.

Other than lack of fresh oiled chain, likely causes: Not backing off effort when shifting. A tight link, or damaged chain. Bent tooth on ring. New ring with old chain. Mud. Defective rings.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Sounds like chain-line issue and maybe spacer adjustments needed ?

I replaced all of them, I'm still getting a lot of chainsuck. I'm getting in the average of 3-4 chainsuck on 7-13 miles rides.
    The Mojo is
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...18805#poststop
    See Tom's post.
    I'm just guessing but...
    With the proper adjust; I think chain should drop horizontal from ring to ring at the right position so as to minimize binding before proper engagement at next ring. Sometimes you can spot if this is so in the stand. Sometimes can't see if not under pedal load or at different chain line due to rear shock travel or sag setting and chain length, etc.
    I'd try to go to experienced bike mechanic that knows how to setup chain-line correctly with the real tools to measure, not just eye-balling it. ("You eyeballing me boy" ! )
    I don't know how but would guess they might look at front dérailleur angle and adjust big/middle/small ring to ring release points, chain lenght, release pressure and angle and der clamp height measurement. Also, if spring or cable friction causes slow release...Yikes I would not want chain suck on those carbon stays. Sorry this is scattered, fighting off a migraine.
    Last edited by glovemtb; 05-13-2007 at 04:28 PM. Reason: I'm lysdexic

Libra
    May 2007

Thank you for listening.

just wondering what kind the chain you are using it right now?
    When all else is lost, the future still remains

mtbr member
    Anyone consider losing the big ring and getting an E-Thirteen DRS guide? This should help and wouldn't add much weight overall. Might help with painted Mojos getting chipped up too. This should work well since the Mojo has a 68 mm BB shell and the guide part could act as a BB spacer if it is the correct thickness.

Just an idea.