mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Chainset ratio options for HD

I usually run a 1x10 setup on my Mojo HD, but in september I'll be doing a charity coast to coast ride of around 240 miles from north to south wales in aid of cancer research.

With a significant amount of climbing over the 6 days (think Everest + a few thousand ft!!) my 34/36 just isn't gonna cut it, so I'm gonna go back to a double chainset. No problems as I run xt cranks with granny tabs and have a front shifter, but the ratios and which front mech to get have confused me a little. Ideally I'd like to keep a 34t middle ring and have a 24t granny ring, since the 34 would match my current 1x10 setup with the granny ring for saving my legs when I need too. Would this setup be possible on the HD? I have the first gen frame with the clamp on front mech mount, so if it's doable which mech would I need as I see no mention of it on the Ibis web info. If not a 38/24 is another possibility but as I say ideally a 34/24 combo would be best. Any ideas whether this is possible?

mtbr member
    I was running a 33/24 with a standard slx direct mount. I can't imagine there would be a problem with going to 34/24 on a clamp. Give it a shot and find out.

Just went 1x10 myself but havent had a chance to ride it yet. Got the new 30t raceface n/w. Not sure how my lbs had one in stock because I heard it's not available until the end of september.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Cheers. I love my 1x10 setup but it'll be murder over 6 days and 4000ft of climbing a day! No where in the UK has the 30t atm, that was my first choice as I run my reverb lever under the bar and the shifter would interfere with it. Will see how the double goes, be weird after using 1x for close to 2 years!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Firstly, a very admirable task you are undertaking there for a great cause. My mother was diagnosed with cancer a coupe of years ago and I've moved her into my house the past year to take care of her.
    After my father died of coronary heart disease, I try and take part in a charity event at least one a year to give back a little to life. Mountain biking is part of my life so it makes sense to put the two together.
    In September, I'm riding the London to Brighton off road ride for the British heart foundation.
    It's only 75 miles which is a mere sprint compared to your ride.
    The correlation here is that I will also be using my HD this year and have had concerns about gearing.
    I'll be using 11-36 x 32 with Saint mech and xx1 crankset.
    It's a little low for the long hauls, especially along the downs link and a bit high for some of the climbs at the end.
    Good luck on your ride.
    I think any of the ratios you mentioned will be fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You could use a 3x shifter and FD and a double plus bash crankset.
    H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

screamer
    For the infrequent times when I want the 2x10 drivetrain, I picked up a front twist shifter which has two benefits: 1) improves the clearance for under-bar dropper post remote, and 2) allows for small adjustments of the FD more like an old-style friction shifter. After becoming accustomed to the quietness & simplicity of a 1x10 drivetrain, a rubbing FD cage in some gears drives me nuts.

Lots of people have been unloading their front shifters after converting to 1x10, so they're easy & cheap to come by on fleabay. (FYI: a 3-spd shifter works just fine on a 2x system, with proper adjustment of the FD limit screws.)