mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Chain stay protectors for the Mojo

Hey guys I have a question for all the lucky ones who own Mojos. My question is what are you guys using for chain stay protectors? I have tried Lizard skins but none of the ones at the local LBS would fit around the fattest part of the tube. So I was just wondering what the rest of you guys or gals are using to protect that awesome carbon finish.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by C & D's Dad
    Hey guys I have a question for all the lucky ones who own Mojos. My question is what are you guys using for chain stay protectors? I have tried Lizard skins but none of the ones at the local LBS would fit around the fattest part of the tube. So I was just wondering what the rest of you guys or gals are using to protect that awesome carbon finish.
    My dealer just put the largest lizard skin on and stretched it with pliers to get it arround the largest part of the tube.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Old inner tube cut to size. Tightly wrapped with black electrical tape. I can't even notice it on the bike.

mtbr member
    Actually, there's a thick piece of clear plastic which partially covers the chain stay on the Mojo. But with that being said, I'll probably cover it up with an inner tube for added insurance.

In the meantime, I'll start looking for some Scotchguard paint protection film for the downtube.

www.derbyrims.com
    I've been using inner-tube cut to size and stuck on with double-sided tape (which also adds cushion to quiet the chain slap.

I've found that besides inside and top face and forward part of the bottom face of the chainstay, the rear half inside and bottom face of the seat-stay also needs protection from the chain chipping the finish.

I've been using two inch wide hardware store black plastic tape down the underside of the down tube. (Clear helicopter tape would look better, but the black isn't very visible.)

And I see tape could have protected scuffing from mud and rocks thrown from the rear tire where it comes close to the inside face of the seat stays and the crossover area between the chainstays. I'll be adding tape in those areas asap.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Chain stay protector

Thanks for the info guys. Also FYI Scott with Ibis Emailed me and gave me some info on this super tuff tape that they use on helicoptor blades to protect them from damage. I also spoke with Tom this morning and he said the same thing, He said they are using it on anything on the bike that might be prone to damage from a fall. I bought some and it cost me $56.00 for a role that is 4" wide and 30' long. Kind of expensive but if you put it on helicopter blades the n the stuff has to be good, I'm sticking it on the chainstay, downtube, and the spot where the cassete body meets the frame Tom said this area would be a good place to apply the tape.

mtbr member
    Also FYI Scott with Ibis Emailed me and gave me some info on this super tuff tape that they use on helicoptor blades to protect them from damage. I also spoke with Tom this morning and he said the same thing, He said they are using it on anything on the bike that might be prone to damage from a fall. I bought some and it cost me $56.00 for a role that is 4" wide and 30' long.
    That sounds pretty good but I guess that'd work out to around $75 Cdn.

Anyone else in Alberta/Canada want to split a roll with me ?

flow where ever you go

Try this....

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon Ken
    That sounds pretty good but I guess that'd work out to around $75 Cdn.

Anyone else in Alberta/Canada want to split a roll with me ?
    It's strong, cushy, clear, UV protected and cheaper: http://www.findtape.com/product173/I...Tape.aspx?bc=F
    I bought the 2" x 30' roll that is 8mil thickness and outdoor grade. Still way more than enough. It goes on pretty well and so far it repels rocks, does not tear, and washes clean easily. $30USA. Findtape.com proved to be a responsive seller as well.

I'm sure Tom's recommended tape is great, but then it might be the same thing at a higher cost. This is polyurethane tape available in 8mil or 14mil and in many widths from 1" up to 8" wide.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    THE dh chainstay protector, trimmed to size..
    Attached Images Attached Images

mojo mofo

frame condoms

I'm waiting for an order from PricePoint that includes the Bonk paint protection do it yourself kit. I haven't ridden the bike yet, the order also includes pedals and I live in a winter wonderland, so I'm hopeful that it will be relatively easy to apply. I've applied a fair amount of vinyl decals, and although this stuff is a urethane tape, I imagine it will be similar in it super stickiness and unforgivingness. So I look forward to the compound curves on the Mojo, not that I would have it any other way.

I plan on doing the bottom of down tube, inside chain stay, inside seat stays, frame cassette area. What about the back of the seat tube? That will probably get the beats from stuff off of the back tire. ?

I also intend to cover the inside of my legs, arms and the back of my neck, that way I won't have to shower after a ride. Actually if I get enough of the stuff I can just cover the trail with it and everyone will ... no wait that's called pavement.