Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Chain Management Confusion

Med white Mojo HD supposed to arrive in 2 weeks. I was all set to get a full 2012 XO build 2x10. But I dont know what to do about chain managment as I have never had a tensioner or bash.

My Options:

1. Get the XO 2x10 and dont worry about it unless its a problem. I am only thinking about one because of all the talk here and, like everyone, hate when I drop a chain. I hear a 2x10 DM FD should be better then my current 3x9 anyway (but I only have 120mm of travel now). Hitting my chainring is not a big problem now, but my current BB is higher, and I will be starting to go over bigger stuff with the HD

2. Switch to XTR Drive train so I can get the Shadow Plus - Sounds like a nice option, quiet and no chain drops. But I need to find out when it is available, how much more and decide if I want the bling. Perhaps I am crazy but I am a little self conscious about getting xtr since I am no where near the best on the trail and dont want to feel like a poser, somehow in my mind xtr screams bling more then xo.

3.Get a 3x and run it with a bash and get chain guide. New MRP supposed to be coming out soon. But I am worried about guides that only attach to BB and will rotate, that sounds like more of a PIA then a dropped chain.

mtbr member
    Just got a heim chain guide mounted and the xtr + (universalcycles has both +ders in stock)

Messing around the 'hood i am excited. Taking it out for a full bashing Sunday.
    I was pretty close to nuking the 2x and going back to 1x, but I think with the right bits you can get it under control. Plus I rather dig the 26x39 set up.
    Jealous of the HD, my C has the DM adapter now and makes the front der nice and clean.

Can't worry about the poser aspect when you're rocking one of the most eye catching frames out there
    Last edited by phoenixsun; 07-29-2011 at 02:55 PM.
    note to self, do not read rider down forum.

mtbr member
    It obviously depends on how and where you ride, but I personally couldn't live without my bash guard.

I hear what you're saying about XTR, but in my experience you never regret when you buy high end. I've never really thought of XTR as blingy, but certainly high end.

mtbr member
    Will a bash guard on the bottom prevent most of the cog vs leg injuries or does the full round one do better.?

Found this on another thread:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...rst-look-31086

Seems like there will be other options very shortly. If I just get the xo bash guard (without chain guide) how big a problem is chains falling off HD with 2x10 set ups?

The xtr shadow plus with a circular bash seems like the most elegent option, but not cheap to switch all to xtr. Plus I kind of like the idea that the reverb remote, xo brake lever and shifter can all share the same clamp.

mtbr member
    The problem with that bashguard style on the xo is---- does your bike have tabs or not? I have a ibis mojoHD and there are no tabs.. So the the BashGuard just gets mashed between the BB cup and the frame.. Though tight--- there are reports of them moving and shifting when hit... For me-- with a 2x10 drivetrain-- if i was to do it again.. Id get a 3x--- take off the big ring and put a circle BashGuard--- and then get bigger chain rings to match what i have now on my 2x...

edit-- im going to write on the blackboard 100x--- "i will read the whole op before commenting" .. Didint realize i was in the ibis section.. So your in the same boat as me--- no tabs.. Go 3x-- bg+2 rings and forgetaboutit..
    My free racing tv guide-- www.racingtvguide.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones2 View Post

The xtr shadow plus with a circular bash seems like the most elegent option, but not cheap to switch all to xtr.
    I agree that the XTR Shadow Plus with a circular bash seems to be the most elegant option.

It is not -necessary- to switch to all XTR to run the XTR Shadow Plus. For example, the XT build kit and swapping out just the RD would work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slideways666 View Post
    The problem with that bashguard style on the xo is---- does your bike have tabs or not? I have a ibis mojoHD and there are no tabs.. So the the BashGuard just gets mashed between the BB cup and the frame.. Though tight--- there are reports of them moving and shifting when hit... For me-- with a 2x10 drivetrain-- if i was to do it again.. Id get a 3x--- take off the big ring and put a circle BashGuard--- and then get bigger chain rings to match what i have now on my 2x...

edit-- im going to write on the blackboard 100x--- "i will read the whole op before commenting" .. Didint realize i was in the ibis section.. So your in the same boat as me--- no tabs.. Go 3x-- bg+2 rings and forgetaboutit..
    If you looked at the picture they are coming out with a circular bash for the XO, but I dont know of one for the XTR cranks.(I assume shimano and SRAM bolt patterns are not interchangable)

I dont think I want to go with the 3x with bash because my understanding is there is less cross chaining with the alignment on the 2x. Or is there a way to correct for this?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    If that fits on the 120bcd 2x10 then that looks like a great way to go.. I love my 2x10 and have only thrown my chain once with lots of aggressive downhill AM runs.. This is my first sram setup but i really like it.. If i can add that bashguard to my 2x10 setup-- id be all done.. Though might put on a 24 small ring-- just cause its steep here in santa barbara..
    My free racing tv guide-- www.racingtvguide.com

mtbr member
    Well, my chain issues are solved.
    I have a sram drive train, i just swapped the shifter / rear der for xtr, shadow+ and used a chainguide.
    xx cassette and front rings, x9 front der/shifter w/ the direct mount adapter from ibis. The controls were cleaner all sram, and if they drop a damper like this, I would go back in a heart beat.

Things were going real well, the der quiets the bike so much it's a bit odd at first. And then when you do bounce hard enough for some slap, it's more noticeable solely because of the silence that preceded it.
    I really wanted to give give it a whirl so I bombed the worst chop on the trails I ran today. I threw in 4 full back pedals just to see, and nothing. I hit a few gardens in the small ring, nothing.
    This was the first ride since going 2x I haven't had a drop and I was thrilled. Really no negatives other than throwing more cash around. This week looks bad, but next time I will probably pop the guide wheel off and just see what the der does by itself out of curiosity.

IF the bash + der works, I don't know how you would get suck w/ this thing.
    It's a bit early, but I think they knocked it out of the park.

mtbr member
    Did you ride the bike with just the new XTR derailleur? Curious how it works without a guide.

mtbr member
    No, sorry, should have but I will next trip out, that just might not happen until sunday.
    It's going to be a long week.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have used a MRP LRP device and bashring for the last few years and I don't remember the last time I've dropped the chain off the rings. When I changed to 2X10 I fitted a 26 and 38T chainrings and bashring to X.0 crank on the triple spider. Looks good, works great, and the gearing is enough for me.

mtbr member
    I rode today w/ just the shadow+, no chain guide.
    I really rather forgot I had taken it off, which is a good thing. Good enough I am going to leave it off and see how it goes.

I would have dropped 2-3 times today for certain, with the old set up.

mtbr member
    Re: Shadow Plus: That sounds really promising. I've been running one for a short time and plan to run just that with a double+bash for my trip to the Alps. So far, the Shadow Plus one of those things that just disappears underneath you, as it works so well. One thing that I do notice is how quiet the bike is from reduced chain-slap in the rough. I also like the simplicity of the system, without adding an extra device for chain management, no worries about chain lubricants vs. rollers, mounting tabs, fitment issues, and so on. My newest XTR RD (~2001) that I just retired, lasted through many years on a DH bike, and through two different AM bikes. This Shadow Plus RD has a lot to live up to. :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones2 View Post
    less cross chaining with the alignment on the 2x.
    I personally don't see that as a strong argument. The middle ring will align with any of the rear cogs and the small ring will only be off(a tiny bit at that) with the smallest or two smallest cogs. As long as you adjust the front D to not hang the chain to the side and create a steeper angle it should be fine. I'm happy with my 3x10 with bash guard.
    Last edited by Tim-H; 08-08-2011 at 11:08 PM. Reason: *DON'T see that as an argument

GravityPilots
    Aug 2011
    Guys, since you all seem rather seasoned in the chain / derailleur topic for the Mojo, may I ask the following question:

What is the correct Sram XX directmount derailleur version? S1, S2 or S3? I want to be running 2x10 with Sram XX cranks 42-28. I know it should be top pull. But I don't know which of the S-versions it has to be (different hole distances).

Thanks for any help! Much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Max

mtbr member
    its the HO code, I believe there is no xx

on none DM bikes, I think the DM adapter from ibis store is way to go.

they have a matrix showing what works in the set up guide
    The x.9 worked just fine with my xtr and x.9 shifter set ups.
    "
    Mojo HD w/Direct Front Derailleur Mounting*
    Use This Front Derailleur:
    High Direct Mount X.O/X.9 (XX does not exist)
    High Direct Mount X.O/X.9 (XX does not exist)
    Direct Mount not E-type (M986-D)
    Direct Mount not E-type (M986-D)
    Direct Mount not E-type (M77110-D/M66110-D)
    Direct Mount not E-type (M77110-D/M66110-D)"

this is what I ordered from universal cycle:
    item: 37807-86870 Sram X.9 Front Derailleur H0 (DM), Dual Pull, 26/39t, 28/42t (2x10)

GravityPilots
    Aug 2011
    Hi Phoenixsun,

Thanks for your reply. I have a brandnew 2012 frame with directmount directly embedded into the frame. Thus, I would go by your recommendation and buy a High Direct Mount X.O/X.9 for use with the XX 10-speed cassette and my 2x setup in front (42-28t). Hope this works as good as with an XX one.

Sad to see that Ibis doesn't fully support XX. Their website has this overview: ibiscycles.com/support/technical_articles/front_derailleur_compatibility/ Though it seems to me that they don't really mention the frames with directmount already embedded. I think it is outdated, because they only mention the clamp versions.

Cheers,
    Max

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by trickn0l0gy View Post

Sad to see that SRAM doesn't fully support XX with a direct mount version of the front derailleur.
    Fixed it for ya

GravityPilots
    Aug 2011
    So you are implying the problem originates at Sram themselves? How so? Tell me. Honestly, I would like to know more about that.

mtbr member
    phatfreeheeler is simply pointing out that it's sram who chose not to make the xx DM.

Ask sram why their line is incomplete.

GravityPilots
    Aug 2011
    But they do produce a directmount version of the XX derailleur. From what I know, the drawback is that they use versions with different hole patterns than their x.9 and x.0 derailleurs and those versions do not match the hole pattern present on the Mojo HD.

mtbr member
    Correct, I should have clarified the direct mount, high mount, its a hole they do fill with x9 x0. They do in fact have the "s" styles.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Timely thread. I took my Mojo HD to a bike park (Snowshoe, WV) for the first time last weekend, and realized two things - I need a bash guard (currently running XT 3x10) and I need a way to keep the chain on the chain rings. There were several runs at the bike park where I dropped the chain 2-3 times per run, whereas in the previous 4 months of riding the bike on my local eastern singletrack, I dropped it maybe 4 times total.

So I was thinking about replacing the big ring on my XT triple with a bash guard (I never use the big ring on the trails, only occasionally riding the road to get to the trails, so don't really need it), and installing a chain guide. But I could use some help:

-- Not sure I'd want to stay 24/32 on my triple with bash, 24/36 would seem more usable. Are there 36T chain rings that are compatible with the XT 3x10 drivetrain? Not sure the XT 3x10 front derailleur can handle a 36T middle ring, and not sure that there are aftermarket rings available with the correct offset/spacing/ramps/pins/etc.

-- Are there 2x chain guides that would work with this setup (24/32 or 24/36)? I've never used one before. They seem to install inside the BB cup, wouldn't that push the chainrings out a bit and affect the chain line? (Come to think of it, it might actually improve the chain line for the inner 2 rings since I'm ditching the outer ring.) If it's not the Ibis-specific MRP guide (not yet available in 2x) that mounts to the suspension link bolt, wouldn't the guide be prone to rotating?

-- I see some folks touting the new XTR Shadow Plus derailleur. Is it really good enough to do the job of a chain guide? Seems it would be a cleaner (but more expensive) option. And it also seems it would be quieter than a chain guide. If it would give me say 80-90% of the chain management performance of a chain guide, I'd probably go this route.

mtbr member
    Getting ready to finalize my components and here is where I am at

Getting the XTR Shadow + derailer long cage with the xtr trail M980 double crank 38/26 which can fit a standard circular bash. The cranks are basicly the same as the tripple but with appropriate gearing and caps to cover the holes.

This seems like a very elegent/expensive option to achive my goals.

I just need to get my frame so I can stop obsessing/upgrading my planned components

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast