Thread: CCDB HD Setup?

mtbr member

CCDB HD Setup?

So I've put up the CCDB Coil on my HD and it's pretty awesome, but I know it can be more awesome with proper setup.

I'm running pretty much the default setup from CC's website. I've recently changed it to add two more clicks of LSC and HSC and like the change.

For you CCDB owners what setup do you guys run? I know this is pretty vague as terrain can change how the shock is set up. Realistically my trails have lots of high speed chatter (rock gardens) loose terrain and uneven terrain all at speed so the shock is working a lot. If it is not that its lots of mid sized jumps to transitions with real techy climbs.

www.derbyrims.com
    Where did you find the CCDB coil base tune for the HD? Edit: I found it for the CCDB Air.

Looking on the CCDB coil base tune page Cane Creek Suspension Base Tunes , I personally like the balance for the Intense Uzzi best, when comparing the balance of adjustments which work well with my X-Fusion Vector HLR with DW tune having fast HSR. Most of the other bike base tunes have firmer HSR balance, and many have firmer HSC for bikes that apparently have less rising rate leverage as the HD and might need more compression damper support.

Edit: I think the CCDB Air base tune for the Knolly is more well suited for the HD. Try it, you can always readjust back if it doesn't work better for you.

Also with coil on the HD, deep sag works much better, about 33 to 35% if setting up for AM (downhill oriented). At least 30% for XC with not much fast DH or not very rough.

I'm basing my tuning coil for the HD as recommended by a pro DH racer working for X-Fusion. Tuning suspension is very personal, your interests might be quite different.

mtbr member
    I didn't really find a base tune anywhere unfortunately. I did call CC and talked to a few of there tech's to see what they'd recommend. The advice that I got was to start with the DB Air settings and work from there. So I ended up with the following.

HSC = 1 Full Turn
    LSC = 12 Full Turn
    HSR = 2.75 Full Turn
    LSR = 16 Full turn

Works pretty well so far. Gives a nice pedaling feeling, no bob but still a very active ride. Seems to work pretty well so far up here in Norcal. I noticed you're from NorCal too, where abouts are you from? We're up in Pacifica.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by monty797 View Post
    I didn't really find a base tune anywhere unfortunately. I did call CC and talked to a few of there tech's to see what they'd recommend. The advice that I got was to start with the DB Air settings and work from there. So I ended up with the following.

HSC = 1 Full Turn
    LSC = 12 Full Turn
    HSR = 2.75 Full Turn
    LSR = 16 Full turn

Works pretty well so far. Gives a nice pedaling feeling, no bob but still a very active ride. Seems to work pretty well so far up here in Norcal. I noticed you're from NorCal too, where abouts are you from? We're up in Pacifica.
    I'm curious if they said anything about using the coil instead of the Db- air on the HD?

mtbr member
    I talked to Matt there. He thought that the newer coils like the CCDB, RC4 and one or two others is a great fit for the HD. He never once mentioned that the HD would be better suited for the Air version even after asking him right out. His only caveat was the he's only personally tested the HD with the Air version. Both Ibis and CC think that the HD would be great with the CCDB Coil.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the info, weird that they now say it works fine but good to know.