Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Carbon wheel experiment

Thought I'd share some very quick findings.

Have been watching the carbon wheel threads with interest for some time esp the light bicycle variety. Recently they have brought out a 30mm one in an all mountain form. Plumped for one of these to try out on the rear as I had a hope hub sitting around.
    Got it pro built, looks amazing. Will get some pixx up later. Weight wise, no saving over an Easton Havoc rear at all. Almost identical, so not in it for the weight savings.

Ten mins in, crack! First ride. Running tubeless, generous pressure, not soft. Must have come down onto a rock but it was in a section I have never really thought twice about. Tyre stayed up, some sealant had come out and you can feel a bulge in the bead/top of side wall.
    Dissappointed. Yet to hear back from LB. Hopefully get a replacement to see if I was just unlucky. Not sure if I have a structural issue or not.

Anyhow my 2c. Not sure about carbon where there are rocky trails. I am glad I didn't plump for Enves (although they may be tougher)
    I am willing to try another if they will replace it but I will be out on build costs again.
    At this stage I would say avoid the chinese rims esp if you have rocky trails

DILLIGAF
    Please keep us posted about how they handle this for you. I have been thinking about building up a wheelset using these rims, not so sure now.

mtbr member
    Are you expecting them to warranty rim damage from hitting a rock? Or are you trying to get a crash replacement deal?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Dealing with an overseas company for an issue that could be chalked up as JRA and not a mfg defect is one reason many choose to buy much more expensive components in-country. But based on your posting of this issue in other forums I'm interested to see if they warranty anything. I vote NO. Even if you bought from an in-country seller they'd have a difficult time finding fault with the production process. Rocks and air pressure are very subjective.

screamer
    They have an excellent crash replacement policy, and while I won't comment on the specifics of my own experience, I've found their CS to be absolutely top-notch. Like Ibis, they go way above & beyond the call of duty. I fully plan to buy from them again in the future, as I slowly upgrade all my old wheelsets to carbon rims.

PS: WTF with MTBR automatically linking "call of duty" to the game on amazon? Not my doing, and I don't know how to turn it off. Having ads on the site is of course just the way the business works. Changing post text to shill products the writer doesn't endorse is f***ing crap!
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

Mtb Guide
    When ya get a chance buddy, get some piccs of that trail you were on!

Was it as Rocky as upper Rainbow we rode last week, u may not have noticed but they're were some very sharp Volcanic rock on that upper section and even in that bad line I took into that chute!

Good to hear how you get on, the pic of the rim did look good though, stickers matched your pedals

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I took a chance, had been watching feedback on these for some time.
    As for warranty, crash replacement or what have you and hitting a rock... well where I ride you hit, roll over, through rocks dozens of times. I expect an AM rim to show better form than this as it is an entry section of a trail that I have ridden dozens if not hundreds of times.
    Unlucky, a fault, heavy riding, cheap rim (relative to Enve) - really not sure. Holding air though so at this stage it may simply cosmetic hower, damaged carbon components tend to come apart pretty quickly under stress in my exp

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Re rainbow Mav... rockier. You drop in through a rock garden before the trail opens up.
    Rode down from there without much concern as rim was holding air. Maybe its just the carbon equivalent of the alloy rim dent

mtbr member
    I've been on LB carbon wheels for a year, lots of rocky rides with no problems. The rims have all the normal scratches from rocks while riding but zero damage, to me the biggest benefit of the carbon rims is how stiff a wheel you can build with them. If I ever damage one of these rims I'll buy another.

mtbr member

Carbon wheel experiment

They replaced my 650 AM for shipping costs. But must say when I bought my Ripley I bought haven carbons. Very few reports of haven and enve carbon damage on the internet. Lots more of LB and rovals. Maybey there are more people on MTBR with LB so the reporting of damage is skewed, but I feel more confident on the havens. My 26" havens have had no issues riding rock gardens in AZ for over a year. If you hunt around you can find deals on the Easton's. I hear enves are great but I never see them discounted.

And yes I noticed the difference when I went from flow's to haven carbons on my HD. I can't go back - but now that I have carbon in all sizes I won't have to.

Dropshot Champ!
    the first and second gen rovals seem to crack more than the chinese stuff, but I haven't seen too many reports of LB failures.

You can get rolling on derbys for less than enve's, and not have to deal with easton hubs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Anyone tried Derby's carbon rims? I think Hans from Ibis has some. Seems, from the comments I've read, they are over built and durable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    don't think you'll find many reported issues with Enve's...though, as we all know, they do cost a bunch. But I'm switching to enve's after riding some and a couple set of haven carbons...pretty much convinced of the value of carbon rims. As a famous wheel-builder once told me: when you're riding a bike, you're really riding two wheels...everything else just connects you to the wheels. And while that may not be 100% accurate, it's something to consider (ie. that wheels are incredibly important).

And then it's a matter of which rims to buy....I rode the haven's quite a bit and was really impressed with their performance. I was not impressed with their hubs...and they're well-know for being an SOB to get tires on / off of on occasion. The thing that really got me over the hump on Enve pricing was the made-in-US factor. That's important to me and I'll pay more for that. (If Ibis were ever to make frames in the US again, for instance, and add the considerable up-charge that would likely have to result, I'd pay the extra for $$ for it)

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rone Turner View Post
    Anyone tried Derby's carbon rims? I think Hans from Ibis has some. Seems, from the comments I've read, they are over built and durable.
    I have them and I am very happy with them. Stiff and lightweight for what they are. And wiiiide. It is too early to talk about their durability (only a few hundreds of miles on mine), but so far they have been doing great on our NE rocky trails and in a bike park. They have a few scratches from my crashes, but no cracks or carbon layer separation or anything similarly sinister.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    you do need to distinguish between the Enve XC and AMs. I would get the AMs. Also have the carbon reynolds rims on my rip now. the width is about halfway between the XC and AM enves...

Quote Originally Posted by riderup View Post
    don't think you'll find many reported issues with Enve's...though, as we all know, they do cost a bunch. But I'm switching to enve's after riding some and a couple set of haven carbons...pretty much convinced of the value of carbon rims. As a famous wheel-builder once told me: when you're riding a bike, you're really riding two wheels...everything else just connects you to the wheels. And while that may not be 100% accurate, it's something to consider (ie. that wheels are incredibly important).

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones2 View Post
    They replaced my 650 AM for shipping costs. But must say when I bought my Ripley I bought haven carbons. Very few reports of haven and enve carbon damage on the internet. Lots more of LB and rovals. Maybey there are more people on MTBR with LB so the reporting of damage is skewed, but I feel more confident on the havens. My 26" havens have had no issues riding rock gardens in AZ for over a year. If you hunt around you can find deals on the Easton's. I hear enves are great but I never see them discounted.

And yes I noticed the difference when I went from flow's to haven carbons on my HD. I can't go back - but now that I have carbon in all sizes I won't have to.
    What happened to yours?

Too Much Fun
    StiHacka, keep us posted on the Derbys. I'm looking to go carbon with my wheels in the next year. They're on the top of my list. I'd love to do Enve's, but the cost is just a bit too rich for me. I'm just not convinced the bang/buck ratio is THAT compelling...

Unless someone can up-sell me!
    - -benja- -

DILLIGAF
    Stan's is coming out with carbon rims. Rumors are 1230g and $1900. Want.

Stan?s Enters the Carbon Wheel Game, shows Valor at Eurobike

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nzl62 View Post
    Thought I'd share some very quick findings.

Have been watching the carbon wheel threads with interest for some time esp the light bicycle variety. Recently they have brought out a 30mm one in an all mountain form. Plumped for one of these to try out on the rear as I had a hope hub sitting around.
    Got it pro built, looks amazing. Will get some pixx up later. Weight wise, no saving over an Easton Havoc rear at all. Almost identical, so not in it for the weight savings.

Ten mins in, crack! First ride. Running tubeless, generous pressure, not soft. Must have come down onto a rock but it was in a section I have never really thought twice about. Tyre stayed up, some sealant had come out and you can feel a bulge in the bead/top of side wall.
    Dissappointed. Yet to hear back from LB. Hopefully get a replacement to see if I was just unlucky. Not sure if I have a structural issue or not.

Anyhow my 2c. Not sure about carbon where there are rocky trails. I am glad I didn't plump for Enves (although they may be tougher)
    I am willing to try another if they will replace it but I will be out on build costs again.
    At this stage I would say avoid the chinese rims esp if you have rocky trails
    The Enve's are bombproof. My brother hit a juniper tree head on going 25 at an enduro race. He hit the front wheel so hard it knocked a bunch of spokes through the tire. The hoop was not damaged. New spokes and tire and it was as good as new. Good thing too because he was borrowing my bike. The Enve's are worth the money in my opinion and are backed by outstanding customer service.

mtbr member
    i got this email recently from LB, including rim cutout diagram.

We are going to manufacture a new kind of 650B hookless rim (35mm outer width & 25mm depth) with new process. It's also tubeless-compatible. Please find the attached cross-section drawing. Do you like this kind of rim?

The rim mold is just started. We will start to sell it around at the end of November.

Cheers,
    Carolin
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Cracked rim pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbon wheel experiment-lb-rim-crack.jpg  

MC MasterShake
    Same thing happened to me. I had my rims for about 2 weeks before my rear cracked. LB warrantied the rim and I asked for the DH version this time. Had to pay shipping and wait about a month for them to build and ship it. If I had the cash I'd go with the Enve's but I don't so I didn't.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    been ok since?

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by nzl62 View Post
    been ok since?
    Yup, I only have about 3 weeks on it but so far so good.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My rims(Light Bike) should get delivered to I-9 today and then hopefully they build them up soon, not that it matters much, as Winter is knocking on the door.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast