mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Carbon seatpost sticks - Dirt inside seat tube

So I'm doing a lot of very muddy riding, getting plenty of dirt on the seat tube and post. I've washed it off after every ride, but it seems a fair bit of dirt gets washed down into the frame and around the seat post, making the seat post rather tough to adjust.

The coating on the EC90 post is peeled off in a few areas (courtesy of me removing it - had to twist it a bit), so I would guess that some sort of coating should be applied to replace it? If so, what would be recommended.

It also seems that the frame is pretty much sealed except for the seat tube and somewhere around the head tube. As I put the seat post in, air hisses out by the head tube! Would it be ok to run some water inside the frame just to clean out the dirt? Obviously, I'd dry it out thoroughly afterwards.

Does anybody have any recommendations to reduce or eliminate the dirt getting down the tube? Not riding in mud is not an option at this time.

Thanks in advance!

Ride Everything
    Carbon posts don't take kindly to frequent height adjustments. You may want to consider an alloy post instead.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Lube

Tim, I just posted this today. Get some of this stuff and spray a small amount in your seat tube and on your post. It should help.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...31661#poststop
    Scot

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hey TimBob, I'm assuming you have a Mojo frame, and along with the carbon seatpost you have a big carbon-carbon interface there. With nice gear like that you should probably get a specific carbon assembly paste, I think Tacx makes some. With an alloy post you can use a lot of standard lubes and don't really have to worry about torquing it too hard. If you use normal lube on a carbon post, the only way you can get it to stay put while riding is to torque it super hard, probably exceeding its recommended torque settings. Apparently the Tacx paste makes it slippery on the way in, but eventually sets the post in place. I would be wary about any type of damage on any superlight carbon seatpost, get it checked out if you're not sure. I'd also be wary about putting water inside the frame, but if it is super dirty then i guess you might need a bit. Hope all works out.

mtbr member

Why Easton Carbon EC90?

Quote Originally Posted by Canada Menti
    Hey TimBob, I'm assuming you have a Mojo frame, and along with the carbon seatpost you have a big carbon-carbon interface there.
    Not to be a carbon party pupper, far from me , but why go carbon with a seatpost?

They really do not seem to be particularly ready for prime time: The Easton carbon EC90 is not that ultra-light (the Thomson Masterpiece is as light, if not lighter by a few grams, and there are posts in metal that are actually lighter) and it has a reputation for giving "problems" exactly of the kind you describe: contamination of the seatube, special care required when torqueing it ... maybe it can be a good sell on E-bay? You can probably sell it and brake even with a new Thomson Masterpiece ... which is bulletproof and troublefree
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Easton-ec90-zero...QQcmdZViewItem
    Last edited by Davide; 04-10-2007 at 03:49 PM.

Too Much Fun

Get the Thompson Masterpiece

Plenty light and dead ssssseggzy!

http://www.lhthomson.com/masterpiece_features.htm
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Another vote for the Thomson Masterpiece. Bulletproof and the machined surface is very grippy so you don't have to over-torque your seatpost clamp.
    2007 Ibis Carbon Mojo