mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Carbon Mountain Bikes

I am looking into purchasing a new Ibis Mojo Carbon, but before i do i would like to see what you guys think about carbon and if it is worth the extra money. Id also like to no how durable this stuff is. I mostly do XC but some All mountain and would like to be able to do the occasional 4-5 ft drop. If you have any other suggestions for bikes in the $3000 price range that would be helpful too.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Feed Me
    I am looking into purchasing a new Ibis Mojo Carbon, but before i do i would like to see what you guys think about carbon and if it is worth the extra money. Id also like to no how durable this stuff is. I mostly do XC but some All mountain and would like to be able to do the occasional 4-5 ft drop. If you have any other suggestions for bikes in the $3000 price range that would be helpful too.
    You will get much more detailed responses from others. But the mojo will absolutely eat up that riding style (both in terms of ride quality and frame durability).

Most people here are being careful with the frames and putting extra covering of clear film on parts that receive abuse - just to help against chips and scratches. But the frame itself is incrediably strong and resiliant - you will find informed comments throughout this forum stating it is far stronger than equivalent non-carbon frames.

More importantly I would consider the bike ride quality and for the riding you are doing I think you would be hard pressed to find a better bike - at any price.

www.derbyrims.com
    CF is very difficult to bend let alone break if thrown off a rock cliff or just landing hard on a sharp rock. While if a metal frame suffered as severe a hit the tube could be bent just a little and pull the whole frame out of alignment and full replacement is the only option for repair. The Mojo Carbon crash replacement cost is about $250 per CF unit. And Ibis backs a 3 year warrantee to the original owner.

Carbon fiber actually can be fixed rather quickly and inexpensively to look and be as strong as new by an experienced CF repair person for a low cost. Itís fixable much like a fiberglass surfboard dings are repaired. Minor dings can be fixed at home easily with epoxy, or other clear glue, and clear-coat paint, or clear fingernail polish for clear coat surface chips.

The 27.5 lb. (I weighed mine), $3300 Mojo Carbon SX build is a super value for mountain bikingís performance leading XC/AM design. Upgrade to high-end components and wheels a few years down the line as they wear out. You will not feel the 2 lb. weight difference while riding to the most expensive SL option.

Three other very impressive rides almost as light as the Mojo are the Yeti 575 and Titus Motolite and particularly the í07 Iron Horse Mkiii. They also may be about $500 less than the Mojo with the same build if you look around. And the Santa Cruz Blur LT and Intense XVP also have similar travel but donít feel as balanced when pedaling and braking as the Mojo. The Mojoís performance quality is at least a step or two better in every respect than any other.