www.derbyrims.com

Carbon Fiber articles in Mountain Bike Magazine

Mountain Bike Magazine is a free subscription with IMBA membership with it's parent magazine Bicycling Magazine. I don't know if MBM is available on news stands these days. For most years MBM seemed to be written by road riders unfamiliar with mountain biking with only novice knowledge revealed in articles. Around Y2K the quality of expertize was raised to heights no other US magazine had while the staff was lead by for 2 or 3 years by Zapada Espinoza, but Zap was fired in 2003 for some unapparent reason, maybe his unusual appearance didn't fit in the Bicycling Magazine boardroom. But in the last year the quality of technical articles has risen again. Maybe there is an experienced mountain biker heading up the staff again.

In the current April 2010 issue is an article on carbon fiber. The most informative I've ever read. It is also on the MBM web site broken out in a number of more lengthy articles than the magazine carried. Click on this link, or copy and paste this to you browser: http://mountainbike.com/carbon (it routes to a page with a series of photos of Giant bicycles carbon fiber production).

On that page in the list of "RELATED" articles is one called "Black Magic: The Truth about Carbon Fiber" where Ibis carbon fiber frame design engineer Colin Hughes is quoted briefly on page 5 of 6. Link: http://www.bicycling.com/article/0,6...1967-1,00.html

There is also an article called "The High-Modulus Carbon Myth Debunked" stating that the term "Ultra High Modulus" is falsely used by some manufacturers. Ibis has posted that there is use of some Ultra High Modulus in the Mojo SL to increase stiffness but most of the fiber is more common High Modulus for durability. Ibis may not reveal all their secrets, but they do not lie, as implied by the article.

mtbr member
    Thanks Derby, great article. Buy your carbon now, before its gone. I mean before you have to buy a Giant.
    milesW

mtbr member
    Cool article and Zapada is still in the trade, scroll down second from the bottom http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/me...=WRECKING+CREW always liked his articles.

mtbr member
    That was awesome...now I can my carbon bike even more....thanks Derby
    Just ride and quit bit$hin........
    SANTA CRUZ TALLBOY LT...SIR9-SS-....Supersix-EVO soon....

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The author Joe Lindsey is a friend of mine who does quite a bit of work for Bicycling and Mountain Bike (and others). I agree that he did a great job on this article. I think it took him like 6 months from idea to paper. Again great work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I never read bicycle articles of this type...for the layman they are fine for anyone in the industry it becomes misconstrued....always remember dont believe the hype

edit

that actually sounded harsh and eliteist actually.....it was not meant to

mtbr member
    Good articles ... but they are a bit suspicious from a journalistic point of view. 95% focus on Trek and Giant, plus a trip to Taiwan to visit the Giant's factory, and some under the belt swipes at the other players in the industry.

A little bit of disclosure should be in order: who payed for the trip to Taiwan? and why to visit a factory should matter at all? The swipe at high-modulus carbon is a bit funny: just because Giant does not use HM does not mean that different type of fibers cannot be used to build .. a composite.