mtbr member
    May 2011

Is carbon durable?

Check out this test santa cruz did comparing their aluminum and carbon nomads. Make sure to stay tuned for the last segment of the video where they repeatedly swing the frame into a concrete block! I'd love to see Ibis to a comparable test. (BTW, if someone knows how to make the video show up on this post rather than just a link, go ahead...)

Santa Cruz Bicycles - Test Lab - Pinkbike.com

mtbr member
    May 2011

mtbr member
    Video is quite old now...but none the less it is a awesome video.

Really no point for Ibis to do the same test, Ibis only makes carbon frames so I'm sure they are very confident in the durability and strength.

I ride my carbon frame, crank, handlebar, and soon to be rims, like any other bike. I do not hold out.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I love my Ibis and been using and treating it like any other bike. I've been using it for more than 3 years now,still curious though on how our precious ibis will hold up to this kinda testings... What about the other guys here?

PS: Good marketing strategy on part of santacruz there...

mtbr member
    That's a pretty cool video showing how strong carbon is. Great find.

www.derbyrims.com
    About 6 years ago there was a picture posted of Hans pounding a Mojo Carbon frame with a baseball bat, leaving barely a mark on the surface.

Not the same as repeated pounding the sharp edge of concrete I guess. Although many have pounded sharp rocks with their Mojos, including me, with no more damage than a shallow chip.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I held a prototype shell of a CF military helmet in my hands a few weeks ago. Shockingly light. Literally bulletproof.
    CF, done right, is an amazingly capable substance.

mtbr member
    approx one month ago
    i saw this vid and made a hint to my missis that maybe i needed a lighter bike :P (on going back problem from work,(tattoo artist)not been out on my bike for a year+)
    she said well get a lighter one then but hope you can use it.. i showed her this vid and ordered my sl right away (had my eye on a mojo for years,been riding mountaincycle for last 6 years)

only had it a few weeks. the exercise has helped my back so much. :P
    2014 Santa Cruz Nomad
    2002? MountainCycle San Andreas
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL <-- for sale

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I know nobody is going to like me sharing my experience, but it didn't take a concrete block for me to break the 'seatstay' of my mojo a year ago or so, I endo'd on a flight of rock steps, bike came over and hit a rock, seatstay cracked 3/4 of the way around. It wasn't all that bad a crash, I was fine, it was low speed, I just hit the thing right.

That being said, I rode it out of the woods (~10 miles) and had a crash replacement triangle for relatively cheap ($150 iirc) within a couple days of contacting Ibis. I'd bet an alloy bike would have had a nice big dent/bend as well.

Commit or eat sh!t
    That Santa Cruz test is flawed. Hit the downtube with a hammer or rock few times and redo the test.