mtbr member
    May 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well Carbon Bars & Seat Post Keep Slipping

Sorry if I missed a post about this, I searched & didn't find anything. I recently recieved my new Mojo with the EC90 seat post & Monkey Lite bars. The ride is great, or would be if those two carbon pieces would quit slipping on me. I added carbon paste I got from the bike shop were I bought it. That helped but did not cure the problem. I cleaned the areas and added paste again, added 10 inch pounds to the torque spec. It seemed to stop it until my last ride when they both slipped again. (The bars d@mn near killed me over a small drop) Anyone have this happen? I hope I did not make a mistake going for the bit lighter parts, I do not want to be re-applying the paste every month or so, I need a permanent fix. Thanks for any replies.
    Mech13

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by Mech13
    Sorry if I missed a post about this, I searched & didn't find anything. I recently recieved my new Mojo with the EC90 seat post & Monkey Lite bars. The ride is great, or would be if those two carbon pieces would quit slipping on me. I added carbon paste I got from the bike shop were I bought it. That helped but did not cure the problem. I cleaned the areas and added paste again, added 10 inch pounds to the torque spec. It seemed to stop it until my last ride when they both slipped again. (The bars d@mn near killed me over a small drop) Anyone have this happen? I hope I did not make a mistake going for the bit lighter parts, I do not want to be re-applying the paste every month or so, I need a permanent fix. Thanks for any replies.
    That should not happen.

The handlebars especially, I wouldn't even ride them. Are they too small for the stem? Does your stem have four bolt face plate or two? If 4 bolts, I don't see how how it could slip if properly torqued. With a 2 bolt I could imagine the face plate is bent or not fitting perfectly.

I've had seatposts (alum. and carbon) slip when not tightened well enough, but always fixable with maintenance.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Something's definitely wrong...especially with the bars. Even if it's a 2 bolt stem, there should be no way that the bars would spin if the bolts were torqued even just somewhat tightly. What stem are you using? There should be a gap between the faceplate and the stem when fully tightened. This assures that the plate is applying pressure to the bar and not the stem itself. If there isn't a small gap, then the plate would just be tightened against the stem and the bar would be free to spin. If so, that is a huge defect. But beyond that, I can't figure out how the bar could be so loose.

Seatpost is another issue. The mojo QR is really nice but it seems to loosen all the time. I drop the seat on the DH and when I raise the seat up again, it seems like the bolt has loosened a bit making the clamp not as tight when I close it. This seems to be pretty common so I'm thinking of getting some locktight to put on the bolt. But if you don't adjust your seat, and it's just creeping lower as you ride, you can put some dirt on the post and see if that helps the slippage. This is pretty common trailside "maintenance" I don't have a carbon seatpost so i'm not worried about the dirt damaging the post.

mtbr member
    This might help:
    FSA Carbon Fiber Assembly Paste - 5g

This is any amazing compound for fixing Carbon Fiber component issues. This product helps to gurantee that Carbon Seatpost, Stems and any other Carbon item will stay in place.

Can be used on Aluminum, Titanium, Steel or Carbon Fiber.
    Very high viscosity.
    Highly water resistant.
    Manufacturer: FSA (full speed ahead).
    Size: 5 grams.
    Also protects against corrosion.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Maybe your torque wrench is off?

mtbr member
    May 2004

Thanks for the responses

Thanks for the responses. I am using the Ibis QR & the Ibis 4 bolt stem. When torqued the stem still has some gap between the mating edges so it is not bottoming. I had not thought about my torque wrench being off, it has not been checked in a while. Initially the bar bolts did loosen up but I fixed that problem with blue loc tite. If no one else is has had this problem it must be something with the assembly. I will order the different paste and check my wrench.
    Mech13

Trail Rider

I had the same problem

I used paste and blue locktite on the stem(same as yours). I replaced the post with Thomson. Paste, most likely, would have worked there also. I figured that with the aluminum post cut off some I was only slightly heavier. No slipping after the change. I use the Silk seat post binder.
    [size=4]Don[/size]

mtbr member
    I suspect the torque wrench....

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    iIt is not something as silly as a 31.8mm clamp and a 25.4 bar? I assume not as that would be pretty noticeable.

I have a 31.8mm Easton EC70 MonkeyLite and have never had a problem with any slippage, I have a Thomson X4 Stem.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    As soon as I find a MAC dealer I will send my wrench in. Meanwhile I will borrow another from work and see if I get any more turns out of it. Seems odd that it slipped from the very start after I recieved it from the bike shop. I will order some different paste as well, the FSA sounds promising. It sounds like some people don't have problems even without the paste. Maybe I need a diet, in gear with full water I am a whopping 180 lbs. Thanks for the help.
    Mech13

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    What torque are you using on the stem bolts? For the Monkey Lite, Easton recommends 45 ft-lb for a 4 bolt stem (tightened in an X pattern starting with top left, bottom right, top right, etc.) ... and according to them paste should not be necessary. For your seatpost it is not as easy to figure torque, but again, no paste should be needed.

Could there be any damage to these components due to overtightening? ... I imagine it would be quite obvious.

Anyway ... if all else fails, there's always crazy glue!!!