mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Can both the HD140 and SL-R be converted to 650B?

I currently own a Ventana El Bastardo and love the 650B wheel size. However a good buddy of mine went on a moab trip and rode a bike with the DW Link system and told me it was a game changer for him. He has been riding Ventana exclusively for years and has a 2012 El Rey. He told me he is going to sell the El Rey and get himself either an Ibis or Pivot. I spoke with the guys at Pivot and they told me they are working on a 650B bike for their line but it won't be out for awhile. Does Ibis have any thing in the works for a 650B specific bike? If not can either the HD140 or SL-R be converted into 650B? Also I am not really sure which bike would be best. I ride in Michigan and really don't need more than 4" of travel even though my Bastardo has 5.5". Seems like the HD is stiffer which is what I like but I also like a lighter bike so the SL-R might be the way to go. I am not a big guy. I am 5' 6" and weigh 160 lbs so I don't beat on my bikes. Any help on this would be great. Both on converting to 650B and which frame is more suited for what I need.

Thanks,

Chuck

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Short answer is that the HD140 has excellent 650b compatibility, and the SLR can work, but your rear tire choice will be really limited. There are lots of thread in this forum and the 650b forum that answer the question in more detail.

Personally, I've spent a week on my new 650b HD140, and I highly recommend it. The weight penalty is less than a pound versus the SLR frame, but the versatility you gain really makes it worth it. It won't ever be a competitive XC race bike or a full DH sled, but with the right build it can excel at anything in between, with two wheel sizes and two travel options.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by procos View Post
    I currently own a Ventana El Bastardo and love the 650B wheel size. However a good buddy of mine went on a moab trip and rode a bike with the DW Link system and told me it was a game changer for him. He has been riding Ventana exclusively for years and has a 2012 El Rey. He told me he is going to sell the El Rey and get himself either an Ibis or Pivot. I spoke with the guys at Pivot and they told me they are working on a 650B bike for their line but it won't be out for awhile. Does Ibis have any thing in the works for a 650B specific bike? If not can either the HD140 or SL-R be converted into 650B? Also I am not really sure which bike would be best. I ride in Michigan and really don't need more than 4" of travel even though my Bastardo has 5.5". Seems like the HD is stiffer which is what I like but I also like a lighter bike so the SL-R might be the way to go. I am not a big guy. I am 5' 6" and weigh 160 lbs so I don't beat on my bikes. Any help on this would be great. Both on converting to 650B and which frame is more suited for what I need.

Thanks,

Chuck
    Hi Chuck,

Check out the Bike.co (The Bike Company - Powered by ironfly internet) in Lake forest here in Ca, they have been setting up 650B on the Pivot Mach 5.7 carbon, Ibis SLR, and the Mojo HD. They can do anything, Joe the owner is Brian Lopes personal mechanic, he is the best.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks.