mtbr member

Cable routing - Top Tube contact/rubbing

little bit of cable rub on the top tube from the front and rear derailleur cables.

this is a Small, painted mojo, so, it's already showing some black scuffs/rub marks where they touch.

i'm going to put some protective tape there. but, it doesn't seem like this condition would be good for shifting.

so, this is a cosmetic and performance concern.

i took some photos, but, they did not really come out too well.

seems there's a straight line from the stops...but, the top tube sorta curves up....and at the highpoint is where there is approximately 2-inches of contact between the cables and the top tube.

has anyone else had this problem? are the cable stops supposed to be higher or something in the front to avoid this rubbing?

does my description make any sense?

thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garnetspur
    little bit of cable rub on the top tube from the front and rear derailleur cables.

this is a Small, painted mojo, so, it's already showing some black scuffs/rub marks where they touch.

i'm going to put some protective tape there. but, it doesn't seem like this condition would be good for shifting.

so, this is a cosmetic and performance concern.

i took some photos, but, they did not really come out too well.

seems there's a straight line from the stops...but, the top tube sorta curves up....and at the highpoint is where there is approximately 2-inches of contact between the cables and the top tube.

has anyone else had this problem? are the cable stops supposed to be higher or something in the front to avoid this rubbing?

does my description make any sense?

thanks in advance.
    No rub problem. but, as with any frame, you want to put some protection where the cable can rub. Ibis sends you the nice round stick ons. you can see them in the photos below.
    I cross cables on the top tube by the way ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

protection

We do send various sizes of round clear protective tape with the frame. It will rub through the finish and gouge the composite in that location after a while if you don't use them. If they were missing with your frame contact us or your dealer and we'll get some out to you asap.
    Hans
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    i have the round protective stickers...i have applied them.

just seems strange to me that the alignment from the front cable stops to the rear would not lift the cable off of the top tube.

this is not a cable house rub...the is the exposed cable between the stops.

the top tub curves upwards....and there is a 2-inch +/- area where the cable touches the top tube.

seems like this friction would affect shifting precision...which i wouldn't think ibis would have allowed.

just wondering if there could be something funky with the stops.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Now I get it!

Now I understand.
    The cables don't touch on the other frame sizes as far as I know.
    I think a cable liner (the small slippery stuff you can get to run sections of your cable through) would do the trick with a minimum of friction. Better than the frame protection tape, due to lower friction and probably better looking..
    If you have any problems with it please give us a call or email and we'll get it sorted.
    On Monday I'll check to see if that is the case on all smalls or perhaps yours is different.
    Cheers!
    Hans
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    thanks for the idea hans...great idea. i'll get some of that stuff from the lbs....

should serve sorta as casing and eliminate friction at that location.

seems like the stops should suspend a 'tensioned' cable above the top tube though....right. sounds like it does on the larger frames..and maybe other smalls as well??

i'll take some pics (better pics when the light is better) that show the contact, etc.

hans...thanks for the response(s). glad to have a new ibis in the household..even if it is my wife's ride. maybe i'll get one down the road. still have my alibi though.

mtbr member
    here are a couple pics of what i'm trying to explain.

notice the black scuffs where i moved the cable over..

mtbr member

Cable Donuts!!!!

You can see the thin plastic cable liner in the photo of my lower top tube cable. in your case it will be enough to use cable "donuts" .. those small rubber donuts you can get from a bicycle shop (they generally come with the cables if you buy a set). You thread the cable through them and they keep the cable away from the frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

confirmed on the smalls

I asked Roxy the designer of the Mojo to check her bike (size small) and she's come back with:

"Cables rest on the TT about an inch or 2 from the "bridge". About 1" length of cable is resting on the curve."

Sounds close to what you've noticed on yours, so it looks like all or most of the smalls would benefit from the cable liner.

Hope you're getting some good rides in this weekend.....

Hans
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Donuts too

The Cable donuts as Davide mentioned should do the trick as well.
    H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    thanks for the ideas to protect the top tube. i think some frame saver along the top tube will do the trick.

i really just wanted to make sure that there wasn't something funky with the way i had it setup (paranoid that i did something stupid and couldn't figure what was wrong...but, turns out, it sounds like that's the way it is with the smalls)...

seems like if the front cable stops were slightly higher for the smalls...there would be no touching. probably a mm +/- would lift it just enough.

thanks again. everybody take care and have a great rest of the weekend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Roxy the designer of the Mojo to check her bike
    Mojo looks came from a she? Wow! never see that coming. Seriously, I cant think of any other company that has such a dedicated CS.
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

It's the axle
    Problem Solvers. They work great.

You can check out my bike on this page

IBIS Mojo build thread

HMFIC
    Apr 2007
    I also get this cable rub on my small '07 mojo. I threw down some protective tape on the frame, where it contacts the cables.

Rides a Bike
    I'm in the middle of making custom cut shapes for protective film to go on my Medium Ibis frame. The top tube is my first exercise (and also the hardest). I am trying to reduce stone chips, scrapes and rub points where possible. The downtube and chainstays are also on the agenda.

The shapes will be a vector format so can then be fed into any vinyl cutting machine so materials like Bodyguard or the other variants out there can be professionally made.
    I can post the files up if people are interested, and perhaps they can be modified for the other frame sizes.

I'll take some pics to throw up on the site, but I'll be making sure this groovy frame is protected from top to tail.

Fish