Thread: Cable Housing

mtbr member

Cable Housing

I am getting my Mojo this coming week and will be putting it together. Any reason why cable house is not used on all of the shifter cables? Can I run it this way? I think the majority of Mojo's have the shifter cable exposed on the top tub and along the seat stay. To me it looks cleaner to have housing the whole way across the shifter cable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    A few reasons, and i'm just speculating here:

1) Less housing means less weight... it is a CF frame afterall, and light weight is one of its perks.
    2) Less cable running thru the housing means less friction and better, crisper shifting.
    3) The cable stays keep the housing in place, otherwise you'd probably have to zip-tie the housiung to the frame to keep them from slapping around, which is also gonna rub the frame in more spots.

Just my speculation. I'm sure there's some Ibis gurus in here that can provide better and/or more specific answers. But I think the consensus would be to run it how it was designed.

Happy trials-

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nine-seven
    A few reasons, and I'm just speculating here:

1) Less housing means less weight... it is a CF frame after all, and light weight is one of its perks.
    2) Less cable running through the housing means less friction and better, crisper shifting.
    3) The cable stays keep the housing in place, otherwise you'd probably have to zip-tie the housing to the frame to keep them from slapping around, which is also gonna rub the frame in more spots.

Just my speculation. I'm sure there's some Ibis gurus in here that can provide better and/or more specific answers. But I think the consensus would be to run it how it was designed.

Happy trials-
    You nailed it, 1-2-3.
    Also you can't clean and lube the cables if they are the full length.
    milesW

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nine-seven
    A few reasons, and i'm just speculating here:

1) Less housing means less weight... it is a CF frame afterall, and light weight is one of its perks.
    2) Less cable running thru the housing means less friction and better, crisper shifting.
    3) The cable stays keep the housing in place, otherwise you'd probably have to zip-tie the housiung to the frame to keep them from slapping around, which is also gonna rub the frame in more spots.

Happy trials-
    Thanks. I guess I am just use to my Specialized with cable housing running along the whole legnth of the cable.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    You can still use a closed system such as Nokon or iLinks, which use an inner and outer housing. The inner housing runs the whole length, sealing the cable from dirt and water,

OHV Gansta
    Quote Originally Posted by miles wadsworth
    You nailed it, 1-2-3.
    Also you can't clean and lube the cables if they are the full length.

You don't need too once oiled pre installation.

I just drilled out my cable stops enough to run the full housing all the way threw.
    Running full cable housing has improved my shifting and now has little to no maintance.
    It's coming up year old with no issues, bike gets ridden rain, mud, slop etc etc and road grime everyday.
    Get out and ride