mtbr member

Busted lower pivot link

I just busted my lower dw link tonight...again. Not in the same night

Going to call the shop first thing in the morning but I am wondering if anybody knew whether the beefier lower link used on the HD is compatible with the other Mojo frames? (Mojo SL to be specific)

If so, hopefully I can get warranty credit and pay the difference for the HD Link if there is a difference in the price.

mtbr member
    The HD uses a different design, no go. How did you break it? I have never heard of this happening.
    milesW

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by dhouskee
    I just busted my lower dw link tonight...again. Not in the same night

Going to call the shop first thing in the morning but I am wondering if anybody knew whether the beefier lower link used on the HD is compatible with the other Mojo frames? (Mojo SL to be specific)

If so, hopefully I can get warranty credit and pay the difference for the HD Link if there is a difference in the price.
    I would bet the HD link will not fit.

Does yours look like this?

Mine cracked, and I think it was due to there being too much room between the bearings and the frame. So when I tightened down the mounting bolts it squeezed and bent the link, thus cracking it. I remember there being some play when I mounted it and found it odd. The bearings were properly seated and I had no issued with the blue link that was on there before. I got a warranty replacement, but put the blue link on as a temporary thing. Now I plan on leaving it there until the winter riding is done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Miles, honestly it was a pretty mild xc trail on a night ride. I made a small jump on a root bundle and heard a pop.

That's too bad they are not compatible. I don't think there is another option accept to get the same link on warranty. I upgraded the upper link to a Lopes link know that it should reinforce the whole triangle linkage.

Dan51...the first time I busted both sides at that spot. Last night's...just the one side at the same spot.
    Last edited by dhouskee; 03-10-2010 at 11:29 AM.

aka übermensch
    I busted mine about a month ago. Contacted Ibis and had a new one in my mailbox in 3 days.

I asked Hans if there were plans to make a beefier one. Because the link is pretty thin where the excess material has been machined out. His answer was "We've taken steps to smooth the area out and increase the wall a bit..."

Mine broke on a flat section of trail, and I wasn't pedaling hard at all. Heard a loud pop and the bike started feeling pretty flexy. Couldn't find the problem at first, until I leaned on my seat and compressed the shock and looked towards the bottom bracket. That's when I saw it. Fortunately, it was towards the end of my ride and only had to limp back 2 miles to the trail head.

Click on the pics for full size.

Link4

08 Ibis Mojo SL
    09 Ibis Tranny SingleSpeed

mtbr member
    They should have made those out of carbon as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dhouskee
    Miles, honestly it was a pretty mild xc trail on a night ride. I made a small jump on a root bundle and heard a pop.

That's too bad they are not compatible. I don't think there is another option accept to get the same link on warranty. I upgraded the upper link to a Lopez link know that it should reinforce the whole triangle linkage.

Dan51...the first time I busted both sides at that spot. Last night's...just the one side at the same spot.
    Lopes, not Lopez

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsteven
    Lopes, not Lopez
    Maybe he got the Spanish version
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    hehe

mtbr member
    Edited...brain fart... Can never see the link (with his name right on the top in plain view) because I never wash my bike...

flow where ever you go
    First I've heard of it too. It's good to know about. The people feeling flex might as well check for this crack.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Ibis has me all squared away. Thanks for such excellent customer service.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I broke mine when I planted a pedal leaning into a corner.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.