Happy when not-last.

Built-on sag guide

So I may have stolen the idea from another bike, but I thought some of you might appreciate it.

Measure twice, cut once + electrical tape + red touch-up paint + time to dry + protective heli-tape =
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Built-on sag guide-xcam.jpg  

All your base are belong to ME.

Proud bike-o-holic
    and?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    cool idea. What are the 3 marks for?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If it works for you, then thats cool. But you have an o-ring on your shock, so whats the point apart from decorating the frame?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nzl62
    If it works for you, then thats cool. But you have an o-ring on your shock, so whats the point apart from decorating the frame?
    I just use the o-ring as well, but I'm guessing his point is he doesn't need a tape measure or caliper to check sag.As soon as he sits on the bike he knows if the sag is correct & if the shock has lost any air,etc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Sweet prototype!

Happy when not-last.
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71
    I just use the o-ring as well, but I'm guessing his point is he doesn't need a tape measure or caliper to check sag.As soon as he sits on the bike he knows if the sag is correct & if the shock has lost any air,etc.
    Bingo!
    It's much easier to sit on the bike and know if I'm set for XC or AM, without having to set the ring, sit on it, get off without pushing the ring further, etc...

Happy when not-last.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansible
    cool idea. What are the 3 marks for?
    From left to right: zero compression, XC sag (11-13mm), AM sag (13-15mm). I don't remember exactly where I measured the marks (did it last year) but I think I measured one at 11mm sag, the other at 15mm.

mtbr member
    I like it...very clever.

xls
    Eduardo Naranja
    Quote Originally Posted by getbusyliving
    I like it...very clever.
    Ya, me too. Those lines should be built into the fishboy's frameskin sticker kit.

Oh and nice choice on the color of the frame!

www.derbyrims.com
    Good idea!

Clyde

specs

Pretty Sweet. Could I get the specs? What is the distance between zero sag and xc and zero sag and AM in mills. thanks

Happy when not-last.

Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by LuckySomer
    Pretty Sweet. Could I get the specs? What is the distance between zero sag and xc and zero sag and AM in mills. thanks
    Tutorial time!
    Ok, so rather than giving you the measurements between my lines - I'll explain how to do it. Why? Because the position of the lines will vary per rider based on the position of your head while on the bike. Think about looking at the speedometer needle from the passenger seat - doesn't line up the way it does for the driver.
    ...anyway...

Materials:
    *Something to clean the frame with.
    *Tape to mask the frame with.
    *Touch-up paint or nail-polish.
    *1-6 beers (I recommend Hoegaarden or anything by Dogfish Head, particularly Raison D'extra).
    *Heli-tape.

1) Put your beloved Mojo in a stand, clean the area thoroughly.

2) Mask off a line on the down-tube, and one on the seat-stay pointing at the first.

3) Take the bike off the stand and *stand* on it with your head as close to riding position as possible... yea, this could be tricky. Be sure the line on the seat-stay points to the one on the seat-tube from your perspective. If you don't do this, it won't look right from sitting on the bike - which is the whole point of doing it!

4) Back into the stand, and this time remove all the air from your shock so you can flex the suspension.

5a) Slide the O-ring all the way up and move it exactly 11mm from zero compression - I do this by compressing the suspension, then measuring so the ring is even all around. While gingerly holding the suspension at 11mm, mark where the line on the seat-tube intersects the seat-stay, then mask it off.

5b) Repeat the last step for 15mm. (You'll likely need to trim a piece of tape to mask between the lines.)

6a) Paint the lines and remove the mask. I chose red because it matches my ano parts and it's easy to see.

6b-g) Have a beer or 6 while the paint is drying.

7) Cover with heli-tape.

8) Attach pictures for the rest of us to admire!

**Regarding step 5: XC is listed in the manual as 11-13mm, and AM is listed as 13-15mm. I've chosen 11 and 15, but feel free to choose whatever suits you.

*** You might be able to measure the 2nd and 3rd lines off of the first without compressing the suspension, but since it's traveling on a complex arc you won't get the *exact* distance. You need to measure compression from the shock.

mtbr member
    "Sag-o-meter" is standard on Lapierre bikes. I do not need that and prefer MinskyBA style (without ring)

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/...lp6-798-75.jpg
    Last edited by Braco; 03-31-2010 at 12:56 PM.